What's new

Who makes the stinkiest brush?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ve been buying a bunch of Simpson brushes lately. I’ve noticed that most of them smell fine right from the get-go - my Super, SiLVERTiP, and of course Synthetic (duh) all smelled fine right out of the box.

Today I received an M7 Manchurian and it is maybe the smelliest brush I have ever obtained. Practically stunk up the bathroom and even after multiple washes with Bronner’s Castile soap it was still turning the suds brown. I’m letting it dry after washing it 3-4 times and it’s still stinky. Hopefully the next wash after it dries will tone it down more. It’s surprised me after buying a handful of other Simpson brushes that didn’t stink to get this level of odor this time, but it happens.

The only brush that ever came close was Vie Long, but it was more of a chemical smell.

What’s the smelliest brush you’ve bought new?

I had obtained some 40MM SEM Cumberland Ebonite rod and I sent a piece to Nathan Clark (Envy Shave) to turn me a brush with his 28MM Envy White Badger knot.

That was the funkiest, stinkiest knot I had ever received brand new. It took about 6 to 8 lathers with shampoo over the course of a week and a half to get out the funk and brown suds before I deemed it alright to shave with.

To Mr. Clark's credit though, that brush never shed a single hair and its performance is superb.

After about a year of use in my rotation, I gifted the brush to my father, who had only shaved with boar brushes his whole life and never used a luxurious Badger-haired brush. It's his favorite brush.

I’ve been buying a bunch of Simpson brushes lately. I’ve noticed that most of them smell fine right from the get-go - my Super, SiLVERTiP, and of course Synthetic (duh) all smelled fine right out of the box.

Today I received an M7 Manchurian and it is maybe the smelliest brush I have ever obtained. Practically stunk up the bathroom and even after multiple washes with Bronner’s Castile soap it was still turning the suds brown. I’m letting it dry after washing it 3-4 times and it’s still stinky. Hopefully the next wash after it dries will tone it down more. It’s surprised me after buying a handful of other Simpson brushes that didn’t stink to get this level of odor this time, but it happens.

The only brush that ever came close was Vie Long, but it was more of a chemical smell.

What’s the smelliest brush you’ve bought new?
Try some chemical products like Arko.
Mine is my first boar brush, an Omega.

Try some chemical products like Arko.

Or maybe gas and a match. I never had a stink problem with a quality badger brush like Simpsons, Rooneys, Thaters or Shavemac. A few uses of a good scented soap and Bob's your uncle. Even some "stink" from cheapo boars disappeared in a use or two. Horse? Not happening in my house.

Vie long horse hair was probably my worst. Cleaned it for almost a week and the funk still didn't go away.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Or maybe gas and a match. I never had a stink problem with a quality badger brush like Simpsons, Rooneys, Thaters or Shavemac. A few uses of a good scented soap and Bob's your uncle. Even some "stink" from cheapo boars disappeared in a use or two. Horse? Not happening in my house.

Funny enough, I have had the stinky from Simpson and Shavemac both. I had one Rooney some years ago and I can’t recall if it had the funk.

Vie long horse hair was probably my worst. Cleaned it for almost a week and the funk still didn't go away.

This. In triplicate. Or quadruplicate. In fact, I never owned or rode a horse that smelled that bad. Horses have pride. So what animal my Vie Long brush came from remains a mystery to me, although I hear Bigfoot has quite a powerful and lingering stench, so, perhaps....

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
All one needs to cure a stinky brush is a strong scented soap for a couple uses and time. Problem solved. Eventually you get old like me and can't even remember what you had for breakfast much less like what old brushes smelled like.

I have no issue with the funk. I know it’ll wash away after a few uses. I’m just curious whose brushes are the stinkiest when new.

I have no issue with the funk. I know it’ll wash away after a few uses. I’m just curious whose brushes are the stinkiest when new.

I really can't remember. When I started with DE, it was a new experience and they all smelled funky. I don't remember any standing out more than others.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have used many, many knots and never sniffed any scent (i.e. stink) coming from them, and i do sniff pretty much every knot I use. However, I had only one brush I bought that smelled to high haven. It was a super dense Vielong two-band badger (densest knot ever !!). I stank bad, very bad - I used to live in a small village where we had one pig farm, and once or twice a year when the wind was right, the whole village smelled the very bad pig stink. This Vielong brush totally smelled the same. Took me some 10-12 cleaning lathers until it was gone. So, I have had one only.

I’ve never had a stinky brush. Simpson Super, Best, Manchurian, Shavemac, Plisson, Thäter, Semogue boar. None have ever smelled. In my opinion this should be sorted out in the finishing. I’d be pretty pissed if I spent Manchurian type money and got a brush that hadn’t been cleaned properly. I’d say it was a one off and will obviously be temporary, still quite average for the money.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ve never had a stinky brush. Simpson Super, Best, Manchurian, Shavemac, Plisson, Thäter, Semogue boar. None have ever smelled. In my opinion this should be sorted out in the finishing. I’d be pretty pissed if I spent Manchurian type money and got a brush that hadn’t been cleaned properly. I’d say it was a one off and will obviously be temporary, still quite average for the money.

I have a Chubby 2 Manchurian on the way also, so I’ll find out if it’s a one off pretty quick! None of my other Simpson’s have been stinky.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My Vielong Horse Hair was pretty funky. Washed it multiple times and left it lathered overnight with some TOBS Sandalwood. That helped. Love this floppy lathering paintbrush.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ve had some stinky Vie Longs also. I may even be forgetting how funky they were. The discussion seems pretty clear cut so far - looks like Vie Long may be the stinkiest!

Never had a bad one. A few took a couple shaves before they were scentless. I find even a well used boar, when thourghly rinsed after a shave will still have a faint boar smell if I bury my nose in it while still wet, once dry the scent is gone.

Any animal hair brush from West Coast Shaving. Always has that funk. I have to shampoo and dry it multiple times before it starts going away...

Took me a while to get the smell out of the Omega 10066 boar, its ok now but I really prefer softer bristles so I'm not tempted to buy another boar brush anytime soon

I have a Chubby 2 Manchurian on the way also, so I’ll find out if it’s a one off pretty quick! None of my other Simpson’s have been stinky.
My Chubby 2 Manchurian that I got last month was fine smell wise. It was very stiff and prickly to start but after ten shaves it’s settling in nicely.

Top Bottom