What's new

who makes the softest brush

Softest might need a bit more narrowing - do you mean softest tips? You could include Shavemac, Savile Row, Kent... but if you mean softest overall (that is, soft tips, little backbone, non-scrubbing-painting-only) then Kent comes to mind (based on a BK4, BK8 - the customs we've had made had more backbone).

My three softest brushes are my Kent BK4, a Savile Row silvertip and a Vie-long white badger. Runner ups are a Grade A silvertip from TGN, a house brand silvertip from Fendrihan, my big 30mm Shavemac silvertip and my Plisson High Mountain White.

The Savile Row Silvertips are a bit of a paradox, having cloud soft tips, but enough backbone to make hard soaps beg for mercy.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Saville Row, Shavemac, Rooney XL's and the Super, TGN Silvertip Grade A, New Forest

The softest brush I've ever put to my face is my Vulfix #18 boar brush. It's a bit of a floppy noodle but somehow manages to work well with hard soaps to creams to whip up nice thick lather. Badger wise, my Simpson three band super has the softest face feel.

Last edited:
When I saw this thread title I immediately thought of Kent silvertip, be it customs, BK4, 8, 12.
it is the softest badger hair I've tried out of the box and keeps getting softer with use.
This is the reason I'll always keep a Kent in the rotation, even though I prefer firmer knots.

on the ones I have tried...Thater Silvertip

In order of softness (current inventory):
1. Thater Chubby/0
2. Emperor 1 3-band Super
3. Semogue LE 2010
4. Kent B&B LE08
5. Rooney Stubby 1XL
6. Simpson Wee Scot
7. Simpson Tulip 1 3-band Super
8. Simpson Special

Softness is one of the things I look for the most

Last edited:
For me its the HL thater chubby. Not the densest, but so soft on the face, even more than shavemac d01

Over many years,I have used many big,very soft brushes including the Vulfix 40 and 41,big Shavemac silvertips,Rooney Finest,etc. But the softest,most luxurious brush I've ever used,well,actually two brushes,are the Kent BK12 and Kent BK8. For pure softness,they have no equal in my opinion.

But the softest,most luxurious brush I've ever used,well,actually two brushes,are the Kent BK12 and Kent BK8. For pure softness,they have no equal in my opinion.

+1! my BLK12 is an amazing brush. Feels totally luxurious on the face. My Shavemac 227XXL is super soft as well but much more dense. The Kent is softer all the way through. TGN STA 30mm (from Mr Vey) may have the softest tips of the three. All are excellent with hard soaps and work up a first rate lather on the face. Suppose I need to try a SR one of these days...

Ken

the 23mm vie-long 16510 silvertip is just barely perceptable when it caresses your face...I have a thater chubby #2 and it is very very soft,but it does have some backbone.the vie-long has practically none !! it is the softest brush there is.....

the 23mm vie-long 16510 silvertip is just barely perceptable when it caresses your face...I have a thater chubby #2 and it is very very soft,but it does have some backbone.the vie-long has practically none !! it is the softest brush there is.....

I have a 16910 and really like it, but it is my only brush, so I've got nothing to compare it to. It does seem pretty soft.

I thought I'd ask a more specific question on this same topic. Which of these do you think is softest yet with enough backbone to use on MWF (which I read somewhere on B&B is a hard soap):

Super Badger
Super Silvertip
High Mountain

I've seen some of those shave den photos, so I'm sure someone here has used each of these. :001_smile Or do you think any brush will work on hard soaps?

Thank you.

Top Bottom