What's new

Who makes the most consistently flat razors?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hello!

I’ve been using the same 2 razors for years now. The one I primarily use is a Ralf Aust in one of their most simple models, a full hollow. My other is a Hart with a very slight smile. I have found that I prefer a straight edge to a smile in the shave. Simple razors seem to work best. This said, the nose of the blade takes a slight roll to hit on the Aust as it is not perfectly flat.

I am also a big knife nerd and one company I love is Chris Reeve knives. They lap all of their blades and handles dead flat so that they can assure perfect fitting. Expensive knives, but very well fit. This got me thinking about razors.

Do any straight razor manufacturers lap their blades dead flat? And if not, what makers have you found that make the most consistently flat razors?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When you say "flat", do you mean that the edge is perfectly straight, i.e., no smile anywhere along its edge?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
When you say "flat", do you mean that the edge is perfectly straight, i.e., no smile anywhere along its edge?

No, I mean the blade is dead flat. If the razor is also not smiling then great, but I mean as flat as possible so that the edge is easier to keep consistently honed.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
No, I mean the blade is dead flat. If the razor is also not smiling then great, but I mean as flat as possible so that the edge is easier to keep consistently honed.
Then from reading your OP, I think you have the wrong concept of a flat blade.

A non-flat SR blade is rather rare to find. Having a smile, even just a little at the tip of the blade, does not mean that the blade is not flat.

You may very occasionally receive a non-flat blade from the likes of Gold Dollar, et al. Almost never from any of the western based manufacturers. If you ever do receive a non-flat blade, almost all suppliers will replace it FOC.

Assuming that your honing medium is perfectly flat, you will not even be able to set an initial bevel on a non-flat SR.

If you can get your hands on a NOS vintage Sheffield or one with minimal hone wear then I think you will be surprised as to hone easy they are to hone and maintain.

With modern makers I would recommend Bokers. They are made of good steel, have a very simple but reliable geometry and the starting bevel is always good which means they are a doddle to make shave ready and maintain.

The stainless model is much underappreciated. The steel is fantastic. In some respects it is the best performing razor I own. I would be happy with a set of 7 and just use those. It takes and retains a very nice sharp comfortable edge. Worth getting the wooden scale version as the plastic is terrible.

Another model is the Boker Elite which is a shoulderless design with carbon fibre scales. Shaves very nicely and keeps it's edge well.

If you want to drop some cash, then their damascus blades are very good. Made from damasteel so there is a higher performance than pattern welded damascus.

I think he just wants a blade that has as great a % of the spine in contact with the stone as possible at all times assuming a wide hone. I would say you would probably have to go with one of the good custom makers for this.

Or if you like really hollow ground blades, buy a new old stock filarmonica. You can hone those with your eyes closed and it will probably still be hundreds cheaper than a custom

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I notice my Aust, on the edge grind, has a grid of varying height. Very subtle but I can see it when paying attention. I chalk it up to an ever so slight warp. It might not be a all, and could be due to honing technique, but it makes me think maybe a made could be more dead flat.

would dead flat require 100% machinery and stabilization to occur? No hand grinding, correct? Not sure i understand the knife analogy fits to razors about fit. What perfectly fits? Knife to hand, blade to handle, knife to sheath?

I think a slightly “wavy” looking honed surfaces on anything with more than a tiny bevel is gonna be a thing.

excluding some French makers and Dovo Best models, most new production razors are released as flat (not warped or unevenly ground edges and spines) as can be expected. uneven honing can produce uneven bevels and spines through the life of a razor.

as alluded to above; dead flat, perfectly dimensional blades delivered to you would require a lot of hours in hand, or a robotic machine to achieve. and that would require a higher price point. Slash says he puts in approximately 200 hrs modifying a Gold Dollar to his standard. So the OP could find his acceptable razor if he worked with a vendor, but I also suspect he'll be paying for hours.

I've never seen a Hart with a smile, and have to suspect that it was honed in, post production. any chance we could see a picture of it?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
excluding some French makers and Dovo Best models, most new production razors are released as flat (not warped or unevenly ground edges and spines) as can be expected. uneven honing can produce uneven bevels and spines through the life of a razor.

as alluded to above; dead flat, perfectly dimensional blades delivered to you would require a lot of hours in hand, or a robotic machine to achieve. and that would require a higher price point. Slash says he puts in approximately 200 hrs modifying a Gold Dollar to his standard. So the OP could find his acceptable razor if he worked with a vendor, but I also suspect he'll be paying for hours.

I've never seen a Hart with a smile, and have to suspect that it was honed in, post production. any chance we could see a picture of it?

It is ever-so-slightly smiling, just barely. I’ll get a picture of it sometime soon.

I know I caused some confusion above also. My preference for a straight edge to a smile was only meant to help steer answers more toward my preference but I did mean flat as in lapped flat. The knife company mentioned laps all their handles and blades in special machinery they invented and their knives are quite expensive. I would expect the same if any razor company did the same.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If by flat you mean that the blade is the same thickness, that isn’t possible with a tapered wedge. The tang is supposed to be tapered in this case, and the taper of the wedge mirrors it. A flat blade with a scale spacer instead of a tapered wedge is a cheaper construction, or one used if the scales have no flex at all, like with wooden or composite scales.

Top Bottom