What's new

Who makes good polarized sunglasses?

I have tried/owned Ray Bans, Oakleys, Maui Jims, and Kaenons. After looking through and using all that I have mentioned, for lens quality, Kaenons. Down side is they are heavy to wear for a long period of time. Maui Jims are lighter but feel "cheaper".

But be careful how and where you wear them. Normal driving conditions are ok. But polarized give me hell sometimes with some of the flight instruments that are LCD. The display "disappears".

I like Maui Jims. I have the Big Island model. I like them. I wish I had purchased the brown lenses though as they are better for inland fishing.

I admit that I am somewhat of a sunglasses geek, and they are above your $100 limit, however, IMHO REVO sunglasses are the best. I can not seem to get myself to buy anything else.

Bolle, I have had a pair for 12 years, they have been sat on, dropped, and any other abuse a 10 and 8 year old could put them through. Still wearing only with a few scratches. Last year I decided to get lasik, so as an incentive not to chicken out, I bought a pair of Oakleys, still my Bolle's beat them.

This should probably be somewhere else. Haberdashery?

To the OPs point. I, like you, have VERY sensitive eyes to sunlight. I wear sunglasses any time I am outside/driving. I started with cheap polarized glasses feeling that they really helped. Then, I realized I could use my vision insurance for a pair of non-prescription sunglasses (I have 20/20 vision). Since then, I've used my vision insurance to get a couple pairs of Oakley sunglasses. I thought the first pair was polarized, but they actually aren't. They still work very well for me, and only cost me ~$20 after my vision insurance....which is what I was spending on glasses before. So, give that a shot and see what you can get. Good luck.

What's this doing in the Speakeasy?

Because its from 2009 when all of those other sub forums didn't exist. This was the catch-all for cooking, clothing, tobacco, and alcohol talk.

I'm willing to bet the OP found his answer by now too...

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use Maui Jim's for golf, Oakley in my car (unless it's not bright sun - then I have Serengeti with wonderful contrast) and American Optical in my wife's car. They all seem to work about the same and the AO's were about $55.

Maui Jim for sure. I used to wear Ray Ban all the time until Luxottica bought them from B&L, now I find their quality and customer service is crap.

The best polarized sunglasses I ever had was a pair of Polaroid in the late 1970's. None of the modern polarizing sunglasses have come close.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
A rather specific question:

I have a large head. As in, 57-18-146 is the bare minimum for me. I hate aviators. I had a pair of Wayfarers for 10 or so years, which I loved, but recently lost.

Does anyone know a good place to get large sunglasses?

Top Bottom