What's new

Who makes cases or knife rolls for straight razors?

Looking at online options for straight razor cases and I’m disappointed. Either it’s something overvalued or it won’t hold enough straight razors. After purchasing all my other shaving tools from members who handmake their own products, I’m wanting to continue the support for small business and get something to hold and protect my razors. So my question for everyone is this:

Who do you know that makes cases or knife rolls for straight razors?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I use Ferns Fine Wood Furniture to make my 7DS cases. They are located in Cebu, Philippines. Shipping overseas only costs a few dollars.

Depending on the size and complexity of what you want, cost is generally about USD 50 for a 7DS Mahogany case. This is for a custom case specifically designed for your SRs.

I should be getting mine this coming week. I'll post some pics once I get it.

I use Ferns Fine Wood Furniture to make my 7DS cases. They are located in Cebu, Philippines. Shipping overseas only costs a few dollars.

Depending on the size and complexity of what you want, cost is generally about USD 50 for a 7DS Mahogany case. This is for a custom case specifically designed for your SRs.

I should be getting mine this coming week. I'll post some pics once I get it.

Please do! That sounds top notch.:pipe:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just to whet your appetite, here is a SR with case combo that I got from Taiwan.

IMG_20200321_070121.jpg
Not just a pretty picture. It's also a damn good razor. In fact, I'll be shaving with it this morning.

I know that this not what you are after. I just thought that you might like looking at it.

More pics of my 7DS case next week.

I have 2 of these cases, each hold 12, and are compact. If you want to display them for friends, just unzip and flip like pages in a book. What I enjoy with these cases is that you can take in all 12 with you in the bathrooom and decide which one you would like to use. An added bonus is they are lightly felt lined and have a padded outside and each razor has its own band to hold them secure.

They make different sizes so search for the brand I linked and you can see what they offer for your taste. I use the 2 zippered 48 pencil capacity ones, but there are others to choose from.

Larry

Last edited:
I have always had a thing about cases. Im interested to see the custom case being made in Cebu. sounds unique
I do not know of community members specfically who make these to sell but i have always looked at options out there.

Just a word of caution - I have had breathability issues with the leather roll up cases before and stopped using them. There are some options with flannel, cordura or felt. Have a look at Etsy as there are lots of handmade options there that look really good, roll ups and zippered cases. I have a couple straight razor storage rolls that were from SRD many years ago - they are the same as one of the the superior shave options. I see they are made by a company called 'sackups' and they highlight their material and corrosion protection. I dont use now as i store in an open cabinet but i never had corrosion issues with these when i did. SRD also had single silicon infused sheaths that were a few dollars at that time (i believe from the same supplier) which were great for travelling. Griffith shaving goods also sell a cloth roll. Be sure to check the sizing as many rolls may only be suitable for razors up to a certain size.

Annotation 2020-03-22 085420.png

Srd2.jpg
Srd3.jpg

As Larry does - I also use a 'global art' type case with elastic holders for travelling - if i am away for a week, i like that i can take 3 or so razors in a simple case. I only use the 6 holder, and find that 6 'std' size razors fit well but only 3 of the larger custom razors will fit. I also throw in one or two dessicant packs for good measure.

Global art 2.jpg

For the boxes -
Search on etsy, there are lots of handmade boxes that can be customised and be quite pricey.
I saw a nice one on razorus, a site based in turkey which is slightly more affordable.
Depending on your budget and taste, amazon has various 'pen display boxes' with glass lids and even multiple drawers that work as well. Also they are more affordable and you could buy additional matching ones as the collection grows and gets out of hand!
Amazon also has unfinished craft or cigar boxes - almost any size and starting at a few dollars. With a little felt,foam or sponge for the internal bits, these would be a great economical option.
I also have a few of the lacquered boxes from vietnam, also a few dollars in their markets or a little more at the airport, these would need some felt or foam for internal splits. I use these for razors in 'longer term' storage. These are colourful and have mirrors on the inside lid which is quite cool. The hardware on them (clasps and hinges) are really cheap though. Just to show that any trinket or jewellery box could work

Vn box 3.jpg
Vn box 4 .jpg

I have several of those holders for my drafting pencils. However for some reason my elastics are sewn to only fit the size of a pencil as my liner pens barely fit. I like the flannel idea. I think i will try to use my family’s tartan pattern! :a17:
I have always had a thing about cases. Im interested to see the custom case being made in Cebu. sounds unique
I do not know of community members specfically who make these to sell but i have always looked at options out there.

Just a word of caution - I have had breathability issues with the leather roll up cases before and stopped using them. There are some options with flannel, cordura or felt. Have a look at Etsy as there are lots of handmade options there that look really good, roll ups and zippered cases. I have a couple straight razor storage rolls that were from SRD many years ago - they are the same as one of the the superior shave options. I see they are made by a company called 'sackups' and they highlight their material and corrosion protection. I dont use now as i store in an open cabinet but i never had corrosion issues with these when i did. SRD also had single silicon infused sheaths that were a few dollars at that time (i believe from the same supplier) which were great for travelling. Griffith shaving goods also sell a cloth roll. Be sure to check the sizing as many rolls may only be suitable for razors up to a certain size.

View attachment 1077109

View attachment 1077110View attachment 1077119

As Larry does - I also use a 'global art' type case with elastic holders for travelling - if i am away for a week, i like that i can take 3 or so razors in a simple case. I only use the 6 holder, and find that 6 'std' size razors fit well but only 3 of the larger custom razors will fit. I also throw in one or two dessicant packs for good measure.

View attachment 1077142

For the boxes -
Search on etsy, there are lots of handmade boxes that can be customised and be quite pricey.
I saw a nice one on razorus, a site based in turkey which is slightly more affordable.
Depending on your budget and taste, amazon has various 'pen display boxes' with glass lids and even multiple drawers that work as well. Also they are more affordable and you could buy additional matching ones as the collection grows and gets out of hand!
Amazon also has unfinished craft or cigar boxes - almost any size and starting at a few dollars. With a little felt,foam or sponge for the internal bits, these would be a great economical option.
I also have a few of the lacquered boxes from vietnam, also a few dollars in their markets or a little more at the airport, these would need some felt or foam for internal splits. I use these for razors in 'longer term' storage. These are colourful and have mirrors on the inside lid which is quite cool. The hardware on them (clasps and hinges) are really cheap though. Just to show that any trinket or jewellery box could work

View attachment 1077135View attachment 1077136

I too am excited to see the case being made in Cebu though. He has had other cases made that were exemplary.
And thank you! The thought of the razors breathing had crossed my mind but i must admit i only moved all my rolled towel of straight razors from the bathroom drawer. (Only Acquired recently;wasn’t stored in the location for long luckily)

I suppose it would depend where you ate and budgwt I know of a leatherworker in Poland who makes his own strops and rolls and sells them. I also know of a good leatherworker here in the UK that does custom work.. Let me know if you want any info..

Top Bottom