What's new

Who Makes Art of Shaving Creams?

Just wondering because every time I try them they lather up well and smell good. Is it P&G?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am wondering the same thing, actually. I very recently posted another question, not having seen yours here, but now it occurs to me that perhaps the makers of Knightsbridge, etc., were making also making AOS. Creighton, as some have told me? Check out that thread.

Fellow B&B member ask4edge said this in reply to my post:

RSC is made by Swallowfield.

Creightons used to make TRSC, TOBS, DRH and TAOS.
They still make T&H, GFT and SJOL.

Can't confirm who makes Knightsbridge.

Wouldn't AOS be manufactured in a facility that makes P&G soap products or where they make Gillette shaving soaps and balms?
Why would P&G contract out a product they have the capability to manufacture?

Wouldn't AOS be manufactured in a facility that makes P&G soap products or where they make Gillette shaving soaps and balms?
P&G acquired AOS several years ago, it wasn’t invented in house. It’s possible they consolidated production to one of their factories, or maybe they left production where it was.

I strongly suspect they didn't have the capability to manufacture it, since I don't know of any other creams that they made or make. Also, remember, P&G acquired AOS after they were a full-fledged company for a good number of years, as is my understanding, so somebody else was obviously already making it before that time.

Creightons used to make TRSC, TOBS, DRH and TAOS.
They still make T&H, GFT and SJOL.

Can't confirm who makes Knightsbridge.
[/QUOTE]
If it is no longer Creightons, who now makes DRH? I ask because my impression is that the quality slipped for a while and might now be better. Do you (or perhaps ask4edge?) know?

I read an article a while back when Gillette came out with the PURE line of shaving cream that they were using some of the higher quality shaving cream manufacturing expertise they acquired from the Art Of Shaving acquisition. I don't know if this is indeed the case but it might be an indicator that P & G is manufacturing AOS as well as PURE, etc....

Where is information that AOS is being totally discontinued and products will no longer be available? They closed all of their stores due to a total drop in business from Covid19, but I have seen no press releases that AOS products will be dropped by P&G. I have seen AOS products and displays at our local Target stores as of this week! Below is a quote from Sacramento Business Journal (January 2020):
"Procter
& Gamble doesn't plan to end the Art of Shaving brand. A push is being made to boost the e-commerce and wholesale business of the brand. Closing the stores is considered a necessary step to transform the business, which will focus resources on long-term sustainability."

Oh, that's interesting, I hadn't heard they planned to still make and distribute the stuff or to sell "downmarket." A new lease on life for the brand, perhaps. Hopefully the prices drop a bit - I was shocked when I first stepped into one of their stores (and therefore didn't buy anything). I wonder why they recently dumped so much volume of product into the discount market, then.

Since I saw the AOS products in Target, I expect P&G is looking for outlets (brick and mortar plus internet) to sell their products. It would not surprise me to see these products in other stores in the near future. Most of the AOS line is available online at Macy's and Amazon, plus the AOS home site. Prices at Target and the internet sites are identical, although there is currently a 20% discount (with code) on the AOS home site.

They were dumping stuff into TJ Maxx and Burlington Coat Factory after closing the brick-and-mortar shops, which is why I figured, along with other comments here on B&B, that they had decided to axe the whole label. Thanks for the additional info.

I suspect you are correct, and a "dump" was a necessary step to move and already delivered and shelved inventory from their stores. They probably sold their perishable stock for pennies on the dollar, just to offset their huge losses (store rents, closing costs and fixtures). The Target price for AOS creams is $24.99, which is $.01 less than everyone else!

Top Bottom