What's new

Who makes a good bay rum?

Well whatever it is rest assured that it's just you :)
I have never detected this "aroma" you are talking about neither the thousands of men that use Pinaud products.
Pinaud BR is one of my favourites.
I've heard that said of Lilac-vegetal more than once. It's a great but strong scent and to appreciate it use only a little. If you use too much it will indeed smell awful but if you use only a little it's awesome.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Well whatever it is rest assured that it's just you :)
I have never detected this "aroma" you are talking about neither the thousands of men that use Pinaud products.
Pinaud BR is one of my favourites.
I've heard that said of their LILAC VEGETAL more than once. It's a strong scent. I like it a lot but you have to use it like a cologne. It's a great scent if you use it sparingly but if you put it on like a regular aftershave it will indeed stink instead of being nice.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just to add onto the above comment, PAA just released their seasonal "Space Nog", which is Atomic Age Bay Rum, somehow combined with Egg Nog scent. I have never tried before, but I hear it is epic. Ordered a bottle.

It's great stuff. Ordered the CK-6 shave soap. I would have gotten the regular CK, but I think some of the seasonal scents only come in the CK-6.

Alternative title: Damn you, Clubman!

Bought a small bottle of Clubman bay rum off Amazon. Smells great! Does pretty good on my skin, too. Figured this is the one. Ordered a large bottle and... Cat pee! What is it with Clubman scents and the underlying cat pee aroma? I've decanted it into a 375ml Jack Daniels bottle (looks classy in the bathroom) but I still get that scent.

Who else makes a good bay rum?

I've tried Ogallala, which should be called CLOOOOOOOOVE! Also burns like hell. Also tried Stirling. Same thing, burns like hell. Tried Captain's Choice but it smells like dirt to me.

Anything else I should try?

I was going to reply "I don't know. What I do know is that Pinaud's is to be avoided".

I used it for fooling around re DIY scents. Failed miserably, of absolutely no use.

Ordered and received: Phoenix Shaving Atomic Bay Rum. Really liking the smell from the bottle. Just waiting to try it.

Ordered and awaiting delivery: Masters bay rum and Superior 70 so I can make some Bootlegger's.

I like that one also. But I will say...it reminded me so much of Gabels Bay Rum that I had to put them side by side and couldn't tell the difference.
I may have to give Gabels a try as the Layrite is sometimes hard to get and I am down to about 25% right now.

So I got the rest of my stuff today and mixed up a small batch of Bootlegger's. Gotta say, I don't think I'm going to be a fan. Smells "off" to me. Definitely prefer the scent of the Pinaud product, which is smelling better, I might add.

I absolutely love Soap Commander "Purpose" Bay Rum scented soap. Grabbed a 3oz tub a month or two ago. Unfortunately it's a limited run scent for them and currently out of stock.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So I got the rest of my stuff today and mixed up a small batch of Bootlegger's. Gotta say, I don't think I'm going to be a fan. Smells "off" to me. Definitely prefer the scent of the Pinaud product, which is smelling better, I might add.

Sorry you didn’t like it. If you like just the Pinaud, it might be because there isn’t any “real Bay Rum” in it.

Bootlegger’s which has the Pinaud, also has real bay oil in it’s mix which Pinaud doesn’t provide, because Pinaud, while good, isn’t an actual, “real Bay Rum.”

So it might be the actual “real stuff” in the Bootlegger’s, that makes a Bay Rum an actual, authentic Bay Rum that “smells off” to you.

It could happen. :)

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
WSP's Bay Rum (in their scented or order AS options: mentholated or non) is solid. Description from their website:

"A true classic. We based our bay rum off of a two century old recipe we found. Combining all the true classic bay rum scents, we went truly old school with this blend. Using only essential oils, this is what bay rum is supposed to smell like. Notes of: West Indies bay leaf, rum, lime, cinnamon, & allspice."

Just received the WSP Bay Rum aftershave splash today. It's a very serious, true Bay Rum scent, with just a hint of lime. I found that unusual. Usually lime Bay Rums are so limey...that the Bay Rum is next to non-detectable. Not this Bay Rum. WSP's Bay Rum is very Bay and Rum forward while the lime takes a back seat.

Sorry you didn’t like it. If you like just the Pinaud, it might be because there isn’t any “real Bay Rum” in it.

Bootlegger’s which has the Pinaud, also has real bay oil in it’s mix which Pinaud doesn’t provide, because Pinaud, while good, isn’t an actual, “real Bay Rum.”

So it might be the actual “real stuff” in the Bootlegger’s, that makes a Bay Rum an actual, authentic Bay Rum that “smells off” to you.

It could happen. :)

Yeah, I don't know. I get a weird "celery" smell from it. I think it's the Masters. I got the same from a bottle of Proraso green once and had to throw it away.

Got a bottle of PAA Atomic Bay Rum. That's pretty good stuff.

People seem to like PAA Atomic Age bay rum.

Get a bottle of Atomic Age Bay Rum and don't even look back at anything else, it's one of the best Bay Rum's I have ever used. I didn't believe the hype either until I tried it. I also used to use VIBR from Clubman, but wanting something that had more staying power, I came across PAA and everyone raved about it, and I know why. I'm now using the PAA Booms Town Bay Rum and it's been awesome as well. My plan is to work through all of the Bay Rums that PAA offers.

Top Bottom