What's new

Who likes Shave Secret oil?

I decided to get some Shave Secret for like $4, because it is accessible in my area.

Anybody use this a pre-shave? I thinking about massaging a little onto my face and then lather my cream on top of it. I use an SE, so I need maximum protection.

It's worth the four bucks to see if you like it. I use it occasionally as a base before lathering up. I like it four bucks worth but I'm not wild about it.

I think it'll make a good pre-shave.

I just thought it'd be a better buy than paying like $20 for Art of Shaving pre-shave oil. That one seemed like a rip-off

I tried using pre-shave oil, but I found it too greasy
Besides, the worst thing I can do is let anything oily or greasy near my face because I wear glasses :lol:

Like Adam above, I tried it and found it too oily. Also, I had a hard time telling where I had shaved or not without the lather as a guide.

I use Shave Secret or Somersets (Maximum Glide) for "clean up". I call it "finessing my shave". After my 3rd pass I massage the oil into my face while examining my face for the smoothness I prefer. The oil supplies enough lubrication to remove that fine stubble I find difficult to remove with 3 "lather passes". In this way I meticulously dial in the oft mentioned "BBS-ness" used to describe a superior shave.

Last edited:
I use and like it. I find it offers better protection against nicks than Barbasol and Cremo Cooling. I just use it by itself and have gotten really close shaves. The two things I don't like about it is the smell and it does make my whiskers stick to the blade.

Versus the more expensive options for a pre-shave oil I like it a lot, way better than AOS in my opinion. I like the clove in it and how that feels. I don't USE it but I like it more than most of the pre-shave oils I have tried. For me I just don't use pre-shave oils because I dislike the oil part of it. I think the packaging says it is supposed be able to replace shave cream or shave soap ...never, I don't think it leaves that much of a slick film. Now that I have gone full circle in my exploration of pre-shave stuff, if anyone is looking to try a pre-shave oil I would recommend the shave secret as a first try because it is low cost, small volume and works as good as most oils you will find.

*my personal disclaimer here- I don't much care for residual oily feeling when I apply anything to my face so a pre-shave oil is already unappealing to me. My opinion here is biased by my hatred of oil.

I use it but can't tell if it makes much of a difference. As far as the people saying they don't like it because its too oily, its a pre shave "oil." What did you really expect it to be???

Have to agree with the above. I don't leave an oily residue or a lather residue on my face after shaving. Don't know what other guys do, but I end my shave with a face wash and a splash of witch hazel.

I tried it when I first started shaving with DE but after about 2 weeks I found it didn't make any difference if I used it or not. Got rid of it.

I've found that preshave products improve the shave quality of a below average lather to average, and decrease the quality of an excellent lather to average. I no longer use preshave products of any kind.

All you need is 1-2 drops massaged into ur face. Otherwise it interferes with lather

It reduces redness for me. Preshave oils are different for everone,

Tried it when I first started but let left my face feeling greasy. I don't use any kind of pre shave now but many find them useful.

I use it and like it. But have been shaving with a de razor for less than a month and think that after I get my prep and technique down I will no longer need it.

Top Bottom