What's new

Who Knows Anything About the Origins of Nacet?

Nacet has become one of the highest rated safety razor blades and has many followers these days, but who knows anything about the history of this brand?

Most of you may know that Nacet blades are now made in Russia by Petersburg Products International.
But unlike with Astra blades, where the Czechoslovakian roots are common knowledge, who knows anything about the origin of Nacet blades?

All I could find were images of Nacet blade packaging that indicated that the blades were ”Made in…” the U.K., France and Germany.
So that is a pretty large area without any clear indication of the roots of this brand.

Certainly not a life-and-death question, but it still piqued my interest.

Anyone?

B.

Last edited:
Seems it was originally a British brand. I believe Nacet refers to the crocodile. There could be an Egyptian connection since there was a lot of interest in Egypt by the English in the late 1800s - mid 1900s.

1666903140746.png

I have read some say the older ones weren’t as good? Never tried any vintage Nacets though.

Does anyone notice a difference in the newer packaged ones from the last year?

I have some that’s a couple years old with the old packaging and got a new pack on Amazon and found them much harsher. It may have just been that single blade or was a bad batch since I haven’t tested them again nor bought anymore newer batches. But my older ones (2020) are probably my favorite blades.

I think they were originally made in the UK, but I'm not 100% sure.

Some guy was selling a pack of 80 or so vintage Nacets and he wanted too much for them and I wished him ''good luck'' and that's it.

Vintage blades like with pretty much everything vintage can be a gamble if you don't know what you're buying. Some vintage blades are fantastic and can rival some of the best modern blades that we currently have, others are decent and get the job done, but nothing mindblowing and the rest are strictly for collection and nothing more.

lasta

Blade Biter
I think @mgweatherly did a bit of digging on these.

These were registered in the US at least as far as 1951, 1965 in the UK.

I have about 50 of the 1980s made in UK left in my stock. Excellent blades, probably not as sharp as the modern offspring, but very smooth. I would rate them amongst, if not the best vintage blade I've tried.

Here's an interesting picture of a Nacet brand razor made in England. It bears a strong resemblance to the Gillette Tech, except with an open comb.

1666959445611.png

The Nacet brand has been used more recently in India and in some Arabic-speaking countries for a line of disposable razors.

These are my favorite blades. I have some GSBs currently being used, but will go back to Nacets when I need to reorder. Interesting to read about the history of them. I never knew they were manufactured outside of Russia at one time.

Nacet has become one of the highest rated safety razor blades and has many followers these days, but who knows anything about the history of this brand?

Most of you may know that Nacet blades are now made in Russia by Petersburg Products International.
But unlike with Astra blades, where the Czechoslovakian roots are common knowledge, who knows anything about the origin of Nacet blades?

All I could find were images of Nacet blade packaging that indicated that the blades were ”Made in…” the U.K., France and Germany.
So that is a pretty large area without any clear indication of the roots of this brand.

Certainly not a life-and-death question, but it still piqued my interest.

Anyone?

B.

I had the idea they were originall a U.K. brand too.

Currently the brand is also used in Malaysia and Singapore (made in China)
1666911740130.png

They also have the Nacet brand plastic handle tech razor and disposable twin blades

There's also the 250 box, with Arabic writing, for barbers I would guess. Sold in Egypt, not sure about elsewhere:
1666911856778.png

A smaller kiosk hanger containing 50 blades, Kenya:
1666992624644.png

An older Egypt pack:
1666912238273.png

An old Nacet Chromium from Egypt:
1666912323663.png

Nacet Stainless made in Iran:
1666912369093.png

And an Iranian Nacet that seems to use the Persian lion symbol instead of alligators:
1666912497910.png

From another B&B thread: "More info: NACET Trademark of GILLETTE SAFTEY RAZOR COMPANY Serial Number: 71591986 :: Trademarkia Trademarks - http://www.trademarkia.com/nacet-71591986.html says Gillette registered the Nacet trademark in 1951 with first use in 1939. But http://uk.trademarkdirect.co.uk/nacet-497469 shows a 1928 filing date. From what I can tell, 1928 was the original registration by a company called International Safety Razor, of New Jersey, which made its own safety razors and blades starting ca. 1916"\

From the book "Safety Razor Compendium"
1666991280793.png

Gillette bought up many brands over the years, and used the brands to offer blades at a lower cost. My guess is that Gillette started using the brand in Europe and the Middle East (and Asia) as a lower cost blade without the Gillette logo. Production originally starting in England and then taking place in several other countries later. The Gillette brand did appear on Nacet packaging later

This old Singaporean ad, which states "The finest razor blade in the world at its price", lends itself to the idea that Nacet was a lower cost blade:
1666991568416.png

I had the idea they were originall a U.K. brand too.

Currently the brand is also used in Malaysia and Singapore (made in China)
View attachment 1547111
They also have the Nacet brand plastic handle tech razor and disposable twin blades

There's also the 250 box, with Arabic writing, for barbers I would guess. Sold in Egypt, not sure about elsewhere:
View attachment 1547114

A smaller kiosk hanger containing 50 blades, Kenya:
View attachment 1547615

An older Egypt pack:
View attachment 1547115
An old Nacet Chromium from Egypt:
View attachment 1547116

Nacet Stainless made in Iran:
View attachment 1547119

And an Iranian Nacet that seems to use the Persian lion symbol instead of alligators:
View attachment 1547124

From another B&B thread: "More info: NACET Trademark of GILLETTE SAFTEY RAZOR COMPANY Serial Number: 71591986 :: Trademarkia Trademarks - http://www.trademarkia.com/nacet-71591986.html says Gillette registered the Nacet trademark in 1951 with first use in 1939. But http://uk.trademarkdirect.co.uk/nacet-497469 shows a 1928 filing date. From what I can tell, 1928 was the original registration by a company called International Safety Razor, of New Jersey, which made its own safety razors and blades starting ca. 1916"\

From the book "Safety Razor Compendium"
View attachment 1547586

Gillette bought up many brands over the years, and used the brands to offer blades at a lower cost. My guess is that Gillette started using the brand in Europe and the Middle East (and Asia) as a lower cost blade without the Gillette logo. Production originally starting in England and then taking place in several other countries later. The Gillette brand did appear on Nacet packaging later

This old Singaporean ad, which states "The finest razor blade in the world at its price", lends itself to the idea that Nacet was a lower cost blade:
View attachment 1547593
This guy Nacets! 😜

Thanks for posting. Great info.

Here's an interesting picture of a Nacet brand razor made in England. It bears a strong resemblance to the Gillette Tech, except with an open comb.

View attachment 1547376

The Nacet brand has been used more recently in India and in some Arabic-speaking countries for a line of disposable razors.
Not India. Nacet is for Middle East, Malaysia and Singapore. Both disposables and DE blades
The brands marketed in India (both disposables and DE) are Gillette and 7 o'clock.

Not India. Nacet is for Middle East, Malaysia and Singapore. Both disposables and DE blades
The brands marketed in India (both disposables and DE) are Gillette and 7 o'clock.

Correct.
I've never seen nacet in India.
In fact, nacet is regarded as a top tier imported blade in India.

Long time ago in a land far aeay, lived a humble knight. His name was Sir Nacet.
He used his mighty sword and killed an enormus aligator, cutting it in half with a single swing, and thus saved the virgin princess. After few centuries his sword was reforged in to a milion DE blades that we use now today.

Correct.
I've never seen nacet in India.
In fact, nacet is regarded as a top tier imported blade in India.
I could have sworn I saw a Nacet disposable razor commercial awhile ago on YouTube with some soccer players and some dancing crocodiles. Oh, well, maybe it was from the Middle East.

🐊🐊🐊

Reactions: nav
Top Bottom