What's new

Who keeps tools in their auto? What you use?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have a 2010 Ranger and there is a small jack with lug wrench behind the passenger seat, fastened to the floor. That would handle all the tire changing chores that you are going to do on the side of the road. Anything more that involves jacking the car up really needs to be done in a safe area with jack stands in place.

As to the rest of the tools, it really needs to be based on what you are willing to do out on the road. I have a couple collector cars that I drive all over the place and I have tools and spares to do jobs I know I can handle. Those are much simpler cars and don't need OBDII readers and the like to diagnose issues. I still won't play mechanic on the side of a busy road, but I can do a lot in a hotel parking lot.

I like to use ammo cans for tools. Strong and water resistant. Tool bags are nice too and easier to pack away. I have one that I use for junkyard parts pulling that works out real well. On the road tools are usually sourced at Harbor Fright. They are decent enough to get the job done, but not so expensive that you'll cry if they get lost or "borrowed". Everything else has been covered, although I didn't see anyone mention that a cheap digital multimeter can really help with simple diagnostics.
Mine didn’t come with it. I bought s bottle jack. Tested it all out the other day.

A couple wood blocks to use as a spacer, and/or wheel chock is good to have. Truly, a dedicated rubber wheel chock is best. The small metal collapsible ones sold by jack stand companies are garbage, imo. Cut some wood into an appropriately angled wedge or buy a rubber one. These will be invaluable if you dont find flat surface to change a tire. Stow safely of course.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Found this at Lowes today on sale for 18 bucks. Going in the truck!

57D7EE51-6FC7-471B-94A5-5369F1FD17F3.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Nothing is more irritating to me while driving than something rattling around in the cab. Even other drivers do not irritate me as much.

I used to drive long distances through the mountains in Vermont and New Hampshire, including in the thick of winter. I kept the habit since then to keep under the back seat a full size axe and firemaking supplies. Wrapped well in several blankets. :)
Never had to use it though.

Also since the day when I witnessed a horrific accident on the highway I always have a fire extinguisher in the car. Not for my car but for others.

I call AAA as well. But out of long habit I keep a little case in the trunk with some screwdrivers, a small crescent wrench, a boxcutter, and some gloves. I also have a vintage doctor's bag with a flashlight, a rain jacket, a space blanket (which in 20 years I've never unfolded), a couple of spare light bulbs, a small roll of plastic-coated wire, and more.

The wire came in handy one day about 15 years ago. In a driving rain, Linda, her mother, and I were headed out in my '86 Mercedes to Thanksgiving dinner. Suddenly one of my windshield wiper arms came off, the part where the blade slides in -- the one on my side, wouldn't you know it. I wrestled the car off at an exit and under a gas station canopy, and used the wire to fasten the wiper arm back enough to clear the rain on my side of the windshield until the rain stopped.

I also have a squeegee, a plastic ice scraper (which is needed about once a year in Da Swamp, believe it or not), some microfiber cloths, and a bottle of quick detailer.

According to me, you should keep screwdrivers, lighter, torch, Leatherman multi-device with a Tekton (14) nut driver along with a hammer, cutting apparatus and portable air compressor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention that I also keep a plug-in tire inflator in the trunk. This way I can check the tire pressure and pump up a low tire in moments. (Whatever happened to the free air pump/tire inflator we used to have at gas stations? Gone the way of 1.00 gas, I guess.)

I own a 80s CJ7 so I have a full assortment of tools stored onboard for off road problems. Funny thing is my tools get used more for helping yuppies fix their parking lot vehicle problems more than I do use them trailside. Kinda funny watching a guy round off lug nuts or beating on an undersized crescent wrench to loosen a stuck bolt, but I usually offer up the proper tool and some gentlemanly advice to get them going. I guess fathers nowadays aren’t in the practice of showing their kids how to properly select and use the right tools for the job.

Three years ago, I spoke of having Craftsman compact toolboxes in my trucks. Since then, I have upgraded to 22" tool boxes in 3 trucks and 1 car. I would guess each weighs in at 50+ pounds. I also added Audew lithium jump starts to those vehicles. I have used them several times and have been impressed. The first one I got last winter. I tested it by disconnecting the battery in my big block gas truck. It was 30F or below that day. It started the 460 like a brand new battery.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Tool bag-
1. screwdriver, Phillips and slotted, 3 sizes of each
2. Small set of sockets and open end wrenches common metric and standard sizes.
3. Pliers- needle nose, regular, side cutters, lineman, a small and medium channel lock, and small vise grips.
4. Rechargeable compact battery jumpstarter
5. Gorilla tape, electrical tape, zip ties is 3-4 different sizes.
6. Gloves- leather and latex
7. Knife

Storage area
1. Tarp
2. Fire extinguisher
3. Tow strap
4. Ratchet straps
5. 50ft Nylon Rope and 100 ft paracord.
6. Folding shovel
7. Hatchet

Most of my tools are leftovers from when I used to go off-roading regularly. I still have a 4 wheel drive Yukon but there’s usually at least one small child strapped into the back so my days of looking for mud are over… at least for now. I don’t carry a high-lift Jack or come-along with me anymore.

I also had a “get home bag” but that has more to do with survival than tools.

linty1

My wallet cries.
This is a nice thread, I have one of those jumper batteries that come with cables, but currently it is being disposed off and finding a smaller one (it is 6-7 years old, and heavy), some heavy leather work gloves, an old pair of winter mittens, a hoodie, a funnel, a can of tire inflating goo, a shake flashlight and... that's it I beleive. I kinda look for an extra screw driver/pliers to throw in, but never get around to it.

Top Bottom