Who keeps tools in their auto? What you use?

Discussion in 'The Barber Shop' started by Toothpick, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick Moderator

I don’t know what my needs are. That’s why y’all are here!

2. Kinda like shave soap recommendations, we can give advice on what works for us, but it may not work for you...

How many miles on the truck?
    How many miles driven a year?
    What condition is it in?
    Do you service it/ inspect it regularly? Familiar with all its basic systems?
    Do you live in a remote or more suburban area?
    What's your mechanic skill level?

^That might help narrow it down but my last post covers pretty much anything you'd need for roadside repairs. More than that it's tow truck time. As far as "convenience" tools to keep nearby in the truck, only you can decide that.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick Moderator

Which one do you have? I’d rather have one of these.

I did the same thing. When I got the truck it was the first thing I changed. Put better wipers on and stuck the old ones under the seat.

4. Toothpick

Toothpick Moderator

Thanks! My boss has a similar one. We used it to start the work trucks once. Fired up the F250 and F350 just fine. Tried to use it a 3rd time and no juice left.

5. Well, lets step back a bit and ask a few questions.

• The responses have covered a lot of different areas. You started off with tools but there have also been suggestions about roadside assistance (I view these as separate categories) and first aid. Were you looking for something distinct for all three or a single pack & contents for all?
    • Whats your intent of carrying any/all of this? To help yourself in the case of something minor just with the truck or were you looking for something that's more general purpose?
    • What are your capabilities respect to mechanical ability, first aid, etc? No sense in packing something that will just take up space.

6. Yes, they need to be recharged between uses. Battery size of the unit will determine how many jumps you get out of it.

7. That's what has me a bit unsure about the OP, several different categories there

Roadside fixes
    convenience tools
    emergency gear
    First aid

With a lot of unknowns about the vehicle and owner

8. In the event of an major accident, anything inside the cabin(or in the bed) of the vehicle that is not securely mounted is a potentially deadly missile. A bed mounted toolbox is a far safer option than a loose 20+ pound jack or toolbag. I've read stories of people being killed not because of the accident itself, but because they were hit in the back of the head by something that had been left in the rear seat...or nearly losing a foot because of something sliding under the seat.

9. Yes! Very important point! This is exactly why I recommended the factory jack stowed in the factory location.

10. Would like to find a nice Li-ion jump pack but my truck is a diesel with two batteries and it's hard to find something that's big enough power wise without being excessively large. Would love to find something that I could keep in the cab that would stay charged via the cigarette lighter with some kind of indicator that I could easily see where it's at and know when it needs to be recharged.

11. I hear ya. I only deal with a single battery but I leave my jump pack plugged in to the 12v outlet in the rear compartment of my Grand Cherokee. It is charging while I drive and I can easily check the condition by lifting the floor board above where it resides. And...It's secure

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  12. And as far as keeping a lot of tools for repairs, again, without the parts to fix they're useless. I saw a Snap-on truck disabled on the side of the road a few months ago...

13. This is the model I have and its jumped my boss's GMC diesel 2500 without issue a few times.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B016UG6PWE

I keep it in the bed box and its gone 6 months without a charge and still been >90% capacity.

14. Would have been excellent if the Mac truck had stopped to help out

15. :jump:

16. Anything lose in the open bed is bad business. I cringe whenever I see SUVs mostly Jeeps with the roof baskets with tire held down by a bungee cord.

17. That's pretty amateur hour and super dangerous. Where are you abouts? I'm sure tire on roof with bungie cord would be pulled over and ticketed in no time around here. I've never seen that (tire/bungee cord) though.

18. I like that one. I've had this one almost 6 years. Works fine but it's too big & bulky, and a lot more expensive now than when I got mine. When it dies I want something smaller.

19. That's perfect, thank you! I'll read some of the reviews and likely purchase it.