What's new

Who isnt going back to their barber shop when all this is over?

I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder, how many people who always used to go to a barber to get a haircut, and have had to learn how to cut their own hair during this time, will realize that its actually really easy to cut your own hair, as well as how much money they are saving and how much more convenient it is to just do it on their own time?
I love my barber but I always just get a #2 buzzcut and I kind of feel like I can do it myself, not to mention the $25 Id be saving every month. I would miss the community aspect of the barber shop though and my barber is a knockout (even though I am a happily married man).

I suppose it's going to depend on how inclined my wife is to cut my hair anymore. I have a regular cut, not a buzz, so I can't do it myself, but she's good enough with the clippers and scissors that the end result isn't any worse than what I get for the $20 plus tip I pay to the women at the hair house. The only question is whether she's willing to keep doing it every month. I guess we'll see after everything opens back up.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Haven't been to a barber in almost 17 years, since I got it cut to send to Locks of Love. Been buzz cutting it ever since (Oster Custom 76), until a few months ago; it's now longer than it's been in all that time. The Oster has paid for itself many times over. I'll probably get a set of the comb attachments and see if I can do a decent job, no styling, just shortening it a bit every couple of months.

I’ve done the buzz cut but a little longer on top, so not as easy as a 2 all the way around (I do a 2 on the sides and 3 on top). I can maintain it at home, but my wife doesn’t like me with a buzz cut so it won’t last.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I did a #2 buzz cut during this stay at home. Not bad but not my preferred style. If I could do a better/more stylized job, I'd do it myself all the time. I have a feeling I'll be going out in the future for my cuts.

I have buzz cut my hair for several years--a 2 on the sides and a 3 on top. Use a 1 to shorten the neckline and over the ears. I can do as good as the gabby gals at the hair salon, who sometimes seem preoccupied about how nice your cologne is or how soft your hair is.

It's easier to cut someone else's hair than your own. Still, I've been practicing and improving. A #3 on the sides and back with a slight taper, scissors on top. Trim the edges with a small electric trimmer. Clean up the back with a razor. It looks acceptable, not the greatest, but OK. Much nicer than letting it grow out of control.

Since my hair came back after chemo, I've just been letting it grow. I had a quick cut about 3 months after it started growing again just to tidy things up, then let it go. I got a cut about 6 months ago to give it some shape - it's now got medium curls, when it was just vaguely wavy before - and SWMBO is telling me that it's time to clean up the back a little. I'll let her do that and we'll see where this goes. She likes the "new" hair and often compares me to Matthew McConaughey...well, my hair, anyway...

I have a very handsome style done by slighty corpulent and impossibly pretty Mexican woman. I am trying to convince her to complete her Barber certificate an open up her own barbershop. She knows how to do straight razor shaves. I would say that a style, shampoo, hot towel and straight razor shave would be worth 50 bucks to me.

My barber fractured his wrist from slipping on the ice back in January. So he referred me to another barber in the same shop.
When the time came for a hair cut the barber (female) ask what I wanted done. I said 1.5 on top and 1 on the sides. What could be easier right? Her reply was I don’t have those exact blades. My clipper is adjustable so it will be close. Well, after she thought she was finished I said it’s not short enough. So she went to work again and still not short enough.
The long and the short of it was I came home and used my own Oster76 with my own 1.5 and 1 blades. I now see how easy it is to do myself. I buzz my hair once a week so basically it always looks the same. I save $20 a pop plus don’t have to spend time going there!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
How do you blend the lines between guard sizes? Or make sure you have an even/straight line. Especially in the back?

How do you blend the lines between guard sizes? Or make sure you have an even/straight line. Especially in the back?
As you go up from 1 area to 1.5 area you raise the blade a little bit to try to feather it in. Same on the back. I buzz 1.5 all over first. Them in the rear I start at the very bottom and raise up the guard just enough to make the change in length subtle. If you have one else there with you to do it’s easier. It’s easier with a 3 way mirror. Lean your head forward and stretch pulling the back of your head upwards as if going to shave it with a razor. Hope that helps you. The most difficult are to do is following the curve around your ears. For that I use a t liner.

I hope I have a barber shop to go back to. When Virginia issued it's first stay-at-home mandate, it spanned an appointment I had with my hair technician. They rescheduled it to April 25th, the day after it was supposed to lift. But our governor has issued a second mandate, until June. I don't know how the establishment I support is going to make it, or the gals who work there, who probably subsist on tips.

I hope I have a barber shop to go back to. When Virginia issued it's first stay-at-home mandate, it spanned an appointment I had with my hair technician. They rescheduled it to April 25th, the day after it was supposed to lift. But our governor has issued a second mandate, until June. I don't know how the establishment I support is going to make it, or the gals who work there, who probably subsist on tips.
What the H_ll is a "Hair Technician"?

Do they do oil changes too?

I'm afraid that the longer this drags out, the barbers, waiters, and other folks in those type of trades may choose other careers.

Many barbers are still 'working from home' under the radar.
Here in Ohio they cant legally do that. I tried get my barber to do a housecall and she said they cant do that.

Top Bottom