What's new

Who Here Has Never Shaved With A Cartridge?

Who Has Never Used A Cartridge?

• Shave DE now (moved on from cartidges)

• Shave DE now (moved on from electrics)

• Always shaved DE (never used cartridges or electrics)

• Shave with a cartridge now with good DE prep

Results are only viewable after voting.
How about it guys? Which of the following characterizes you? I am under the assumption that most of us are converts from cartridges. It would be interesting to see how we all got here.

I tried carts a few times in my teen years but hated them. I went to electrics and used them for 20 years or so. I never really liked them either.

I used to only shave once a week right before church on Sun morning. I hated it. Once I started wet shaving with a DE, brush and soap, I shave every day. I enjoy it now.

ETA: To be fair, I did use disposables to shave my head for a few months last year. I hated them for that also and stopped shaving my head altogether. Now I just use a trimmer with no guard on it for my head.

Last edited:
None of the options really fit. I started electrics (my dads) went on with disposables and moved over to carts. Returned to disposables and found my first DE around '90 (at about 25 years of age) and never looked back.

After discovering B&B my budget went up (rather steep...:wink2:) and tried injectors and SE's and use them on a regular basis. Oh, and I have a whole bunch of DE's now....

Used a Sensor Excel for what? 20 years? Used that silly multiblade thing when I couldn't find them. Switched to DE beginning of the year.

Still use my Braun electric occasionally for a quick 5 o'clock touch up when hurried.

I started with cartridges, went to DE now I mix it up between them with the occasional electric thrown in.

My first shave was with a DE, done such a fine butcher job I soon got me an atra. Used it untill I turned 18 and got a free mach3. Got half a shave with it and threw it in the trash and went back to my atra. In my mid 20s I really got back into DEs after toying with the again in my late teens and learning how to use them.

i used a mach 3 whizzbang thingy and canned gel for some years before discovering DE/brush/soap, now i tend to glower condescendingly at everyone i know who still shaves with carts

I join the majority. I started wet shaving at 15 with a Sensor something or other then got sick of the cost and damage that was being done to my neck so I went looking for an alternative. I have only used 3 disposable razors in my life and I tried an electric twice with no luck. I think a lot of my issues with the M3 were caused buy the shaving gel I was using.

I went from cartridge to a stright, and now I use a DE too.

Me too, although there were 4 or 5 electrics in there with the carts too...

Plus, my very first shave was with my dad's Fat Boy DE (which is why I immediately went out and got an Atra...)

I been using cartridge or electric both before, switched to DE but are now mainly a straight shaver. DE is only for travel or when i am in a rush.

Started DE, switched back and forth between DE and electric a few times, and have now come back to DE - likely for good. The key difference this time has been switching to brush/soap from hand applied canned goo. I never really had very good beard prep in the past, and for me, this makes all the difference in the quality and enjoyment of the shave. I've never used carts.

None of the options fit me, either. Started with a Schick injector, then the old Wilkinson cartridge. Then I guess disposables, alternated with a Remington electric. My relatively recent conversion to DE was actually my first experience with it. That's a bunch of years now and ebay purchase history only goes back through 2009. But a few years before that.

Started with electric, but it really irritated my skin. Went on to disposables for a very short time, but those were terrible. Moved to cartridges and have been using the latest versions ever since. Contemplated trying the newer electrics, but figured that was a step backwards. I just ordered a DE and several of the goodies. I know the pre and post shave routine would help with cartridge, but I really am tired of them. I will probably use the cartridges for travel since I have them, but the plan is to put the canned goop in the guest bathroom and leave it there for good.

I went from carts to electric then to DE. I used DE exclusively for about a year and half and now I use primarily twin blade carts with the techniques I learned from DE shaving including soap and a brush. I do still use my DE89L because I really enjoy that razor but I do get the best shaves from my carts.

Top Bottom