What's new

Who has many razors but finds themselves returning to just a few?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sounds like some nice collections, both large and small.

Just like I asked BSAGuy, how did you decide what you were and weren't going to keep?

I have been doing this since 2010, so I think It's kind of a natural thing to acquire at first, trying all the interesting and different things. Then after a few years, I kind of just naturally again, gravitated to a few favorites. my wife gave me an idea when I saw here cleaning out her closet one day and asked her how she decided to get rid of clothes every spring?

She told me, whatever she hadn't cared to repeat to wear in the previous year, got tossed out. So I decided to apply this same reasoning. I got rid of everything I just didn't use in a year. That got me down to a certain extent. Then, I waited 6 months and decided to get rid of everything that "I hardly used" in 6 months.

The rest of the razors I have are regular rotation or sentimental. I have a birth year Super Speed that I only use on my Birthday. I will always have it. I have a vintage Trac II razor set with case that I only use when I travel and I travel less and less the closer I get to retirement. But it is probably my most favorite razor.

I use a Dovo Straight and Sanguine R5 Shavette probably the most. They are not my favorite razors, but they are my best shaves.

Don't ask me. I have a lot of razors and I choose them at random. I have sold some razors and almost immediately wanted them back.

One I tried to sell, but the guy had already bought one, so I was "stuck" with it. Now it's one of my favorites.

I have no idea, from week to week, which of my razors I like best. So, for now at least, I'm keeping them all.

I have a bunch of razors including most of the easily available vintage gillettes and I find myself using these:
Muhle R-41 when I have time and can be careful for prob the best shave ever.
Merkur Futur basically same as the r-41
Timeless 0.95 OC great close shave but don't have to be so painstakingly careful as the r-41
Gillette NEW OC: Same as timeless
Gillette NEW diamond handle 2 piece: same shave as the NEW but have to be more careful on the neck.
Gillette Pre-war tech: Use this when I don't have a lot of time.

Gillette adjustables, Merkur 2 piece slant, Asylum DE, Gillette Gold Aristocrat, and Milord: don't seem to use that much.

Don't ask me. I have a lot of razors and I choose them at random. I have sold some razors and almost immediately wanted them back.

One I tried to sell, but the guy had already bought one, so I was "stuck" with it. Now it's one of my favorites.

I have no idea, from week to week, which of my razors I like best. So, for now at least, I'm keeping them all.

That's something I'm "afraid" of. I used one today that I haven't used in quite some time, my Maggards MR8 v3. The v3 head is basically an EJ/Muhle *89 clone. The short but heavy MR8 handle makes this a very nice combination. If it wasn't for a couple stray hairs on my neck it would have been an easy 3 pass BBS shave with no irritation at all (not even in the usual spots).

I have a bunch of razors including most of the easily available vintage gillettes and I find myself using these:

...Gillette Pre-war tech: Use this when I don't have a lot of time...

Funny, I do it almost the opposite. The first couple times I shaved in a hurry with a DE I used a more mild razor in case my technique suffered. Now, since when I'm in a hurry, I often plan to do only 2 passes and little to no touch up, I use one of my more aggressive razors since they are more efficient. I can still get a close shave with less time spent. I use my more mild razors when I have time to really do it right.

I'm not sure what the breakpoint is for "a lot" of razors, but I regularly rotate my razors from week to week. Last week was a Gillette Fatboy. This week is a Gillette Tech. next week will be my Gillette SS Flare tip.

I have too many different SE and DE razors.

My go-to SEs are my GEM 1912/Junior (1 of each, same head), Clog-Pruf MicroMatic, and a Schick L-type Injector.

But I also have these SEs in my collection: 1924 GEM, OC-MM (terrible for my face), Contour, and G-Bar, as well as El Jefe, and the RR Hawk.

My go-to DEs are my PAA Bakelite OC, pre-War Tech, 50s Tech, NEW long-comb, Merkur 45 Bakelite, Progress, and Futur clone.

But I also have a Feather Popular (still use it, just out of my rotation currently), Old, Piccolo, Parker 24, RR DE1, Merkur 1904 OC, PAA DOC (original type), Parker TTO gunmetal, Gillette Knack (still use it, but out of rotation currently), 34HD, Merkur 37 slant, iKon X3 slant, RR Mission, and EJ DE89. (and many more that I have forgotten.)

Why don't I use the other SEs? The 1924 needs a shim to make it comfortable with which to shave. The Contour and G-Bar have handles I don't like. The OC-MM just tears me a new one every time I try it.

Why don't I use the the other DEs? Mostly because I hate having to align blades because my near vision stinks, and I don't wear my glasses when I shave or load a new blade. The Old OC, Piccolo, and Parker 24 OC hated my face. Some I will try again, like the 34HD, 1904, and 37 Merkurs. The Mission is really a fine razor that I will try again. I got rid of the Piccolo. Harsh shaves and bad alignment issues killed the Piccolo for me.

I have 7 razors and my rotation is getting smaller. I really like my Canadian Regent NEW LC, Gillette Parat and, most recently, my Razorock German Slant.

I have about 100+ shavers, but I only use about 10 in my regular rotation. I use mostly OC's and lately have been using shavers that use AC blades.

I only own 1 at this moment, but I hope to aquire a few more. Ideally, I would like to have around half a dozen.

Hi,

I find that I need to use any razor for a month before I truly understand it. And, if I have not used one in a while, I need two weeks with it.

Stan

Before I found Badger & Blade I only had 2 razors Gillette Slim and Super Adjustable, the only reason I bought the BB was that I thought I lost my Slim, later found in a box. Also lately my brother gave me our fathers Fatboy.
Since joining B&B I graduated from a small spot in the medicine cabinet it a Shave Den consisting of more than 40 DE/SE razors. Out of these I may use 6 on a regular basis, Fatboy, Slim, Weber PH, BB, Gem 1912, Gem Micromatic OC. The rest I'll use occasionally.

For the last year or so I've been using a EJ DE89 on a solid stainless handle at least 80% of the time. I have dozens of others, but the EJ is mild and close...and I still love you, Slim Adjustable, it's a ME thing, not a YOU thing.

I have several but my main DE razors in use are the New and Old types.
Followed by some Superspeeds and Aristocrats.

I have a few razors, but not to big of a collection. At least I like to think so. I have a combination of straights, de's and se's. My fascination with razors though is really with adjustable razors for no particular reason than just seeing how they work and how good of a shave they can provide.

Straights: Wade & Butcher Wedge 13/16 (heirloom piece), Boker 7/8 "Celebrated" and a Gold Dollar #208
DE's adjustable: Merkur Vision, Merkur Futur, Gillette Slim '63, Parker Variant Black & Matte chrome and Rockwell 6s.
DE's non-adjustable: Gillette Old Type, New LC and an Option 5
SE's: Asylum Rx and OneBlade V1
Shavette: S/S Dovo

I pretty much use them all in no particular order or rotation. Although there are 5 of them that I use more than the others. The Rx, Vision, Variant (both) and the W&B Wedge. But the Rx is clearly my favorite of them all besides the heirloom piece. The shaves it provides have no equal except for a straight, imo. The Gillette Old & New OC's get used when I want a quick, nostalgic shave from the good old days. The OneBlade, if I oversleep or an unscheduled occasion or night out with the Lady, is the best razor for a sub 5 minute pass. And the rest I just throw them in on occasion to mix things up. The 6s though might be on it's way out. I just don't use it much at all. I purchased it because of all the hype surrounding it, but I was underwhelmed by it's performance.

There is no wrong or right reason for having a couple or a couple dozen or more. To each their own for whatever reason that may be. I like to use mine, some don't and that's fine. Collecting them is fine, but using them is better. Just my $ .02 ...... :001_cool:

I make a point to rotate everything I have. I may use some more than others, but part of the fun for me is deciding what's next. And then when I come back around to my favorites, it's more enjoyable IMHO. They form a higher contrast; they seem that much better by comparison.

I used to let the less favored ones collect dust, but I tended to forget why I was stuck on this one or two razors. I started taking the shave for granted. Rotating keeps me in perspective. And not to mention I start to identify redeeming qualities about the ones I like less. I learn to appreciate them.

Re-reading this post I just have to say that you are spot on in describing my sentiments around shaving with different razors. Very well described, thinking about which razor to use next is one of my joys also in everyday life.:thumbup1:

I have four. I started with a Weishi TTO but when it jammed up (accumulated soap scum & hard water deposits) I ordered a couple more -- a Baili TTO and a Titan Razor double edge. Recently I added a Futur clone (Qshave). I use the Weishi or Baili for travel.

I don't have a real rotation scheme.

I have 14 ranging from v v mild to v aggressive - The three that are always ready to go are my Timeless scalloped OC, Rockwell 6S and Phoenix DOC!! The rest see occasional use!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have about 75 DE and SE and Injector razors. How do you define "few?" I have about 23 that are favorites. I'm flexible about any particular rotation system.

Variety is the spice of life!
I have a cufflink box that is perfect for storing the heads of 3 piece razors and a couple of different stainless handles. - my travel razor is a Black Beauty.

However, my go to razor is a mongoose se razor. a blade typically lasts about a month of shaves. So after I finish a blade I then rotate and use one or two de razors for about a week before going back to the Mongoose for another month. I enjoy rotating but as I do a 2 pass shave with the SE razor and need to do a 3 pass shave with a de, I do find I get some minor irritation on the neck from a DE.

Top Bottom