What's new

Who has gone from cartridge to DE, then back to cartridge?

I never will use a cartridge again, mainly because it was a joyless task. With my DE it's almost therapeutic, mind and body.

Not sure that I agree ... that may be true when you just started, but DE shaving becomes a routine as well ... at least for me it is. The joy is in the lather for me, not in the razor.

Not sure that I agree ... that may be true when you just started, but DE shaving becomes a routine as well ... at least for me it is. The joy is in the lather for me, not in the razor.

I've been DE shaving for over 7 months, been the same joy since day 1 for me. I love that there is skill involved, angles, multiple passes. I shave after my day, a great wind down. My choice has nothing to do with getting the closest or fastest shave, it's all about the ride.

I've been DE shaving for over 7 months, been the same joy since day 1 for me. I love that there is skill involved, angles, multiple passes. I shave after my day, a great wind down. My choice has nothing to do with getting the closest or fastest shave, it's all about the ride.

I have wetshaved for over 30 years. I can tell you that even that becomes a routine over time.

Of course the joy of trying new soaps and creams remains :001_smile

(in fact ... the first 29 years, I rotated between two or three soaps only ... and then I found B&B :wink2: )

Last edited:
While on vacation a couple of weeks ago I had a problem with my Slim and bought a Gillette three-blade disposable wonder, haven't experienced that much irritation since I had the Chicken Pox! I found a way to make do with the Slim.

Only if for some reason i dont have a DE razor at hand. Which hasnt happened yet, thank goodness. I really dont intend to go back to carts.

While on vacation a couple of weeks ago I had a problem with my Slim and bought a Gillette three-blade disposable wonder, haven't experienced that much irritation since I had the Chicken Pox! I found a way to make do with the Slim.

Those stories always surprise me.

For the last 5 days, I have shaved half of my face with a cartridge razor, and the other half with a DE razor. The shaves I get from the cartridge razor are no worse or better, in general, than from the DE razor. I give you that the DE razor is more fun, because you get to lather up multiple times :001_cool:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/420552-Weird-cartridge-razor-experiment

I have been back to carts on my face a couple of times. But carts on my face tear me up. When using DE I get to choose the blade and the aggressiveness of the shave and that makes it a way better shave for me. The joy in shaving hasn't changed for me and I have been DE shaving for a little over 2 years. When I am able to really take my time and get to do a "pamper" shave that is the best. But even when rushing in the mornings it is still a way better and more relaxing shave over carts any day for me. It is amazing how much YMMV for all of us. I do believe that prep and post is the key to shaving though. I do know with DE that it does take a while when first starting to condition your face to it. Or atleast for me that was the case. I am sure it has to do with technique, but for me DE is the way to go and I am trying to get my head shaving fully DE. It is a journey for sure. Even though I spend money on creams, razors, blades, mugs, scuttles, etc. I am really not spending a ton more on razors. Because I would and could go thru a cart in 2 days. After 2 days carts are of no good to me. My beard eats them alive. As well as what little hair I have left on my head :lol:

Probably had to do with the proper blade angle and exposure for my face since everything else was the same. Not all faces are created equal thus YRMV is the rule. I couldn't control the way the cart "attacked" my skin like I can with a DE. No big loss, wifey can use the remaining few cart disposables (it was a four-pack) on her legs.

I have a ton of carts left here lol. Was purchased at Sam's so of course it was a stock pile of them. But my wife uses them and are given to guests that come over and are being used by me still a little. They should last a long time here at my house.

Took the Flexball with Fusion on my last air trip, it shaved just great!
Also use it from time to time, for cleanup on edge of mouth and on the ear.
$gillette flexball opus travel set.jpg

Never looked back. When I travel a brush, cream , blade and razor go with me. Time isn't an issue for me either, I can get a better shave from a de in 6 mins if I want to that's light years ahead from the shaves I got from mach3's.

Top Bottom