What's new

Who has a modified nib?

$image.jpg$image.jpgI don't have a card reader at hand so I can't post real pictures, got to make do with the iPad camera.

It is a 2x fine, full flex nib. It is very easily to flair but still has a good amount of spring back. It is glass smooth and I have not noticed any tendency to catch on upstrokes.

Before it arrived I was worried that a 2x fine would be too much of a hairline for my liking as a daily writer. It's not. I'm going to guess the line un-flexed is around .4mm--similar to a uniball micro.

Not it a nib I would choose for copperplate, but as a daily cursive nib I already know it is going to be mt favorite. I love the cushion, and the spring back, it is like a car with great handling suspension.

Last edited:
I initially glossed over this post, because I didn't think I had anything to contribute. But my FC B&B Essential has a Masuyama medium stub! yay!

My FC B&B has a cursive italic from Masuyama, its great but if you hold it wrong it'll almost slice the paper it's so sharp

I have a FC B&B Essential with a needlepoint nib by Masuyama, great nib, but like the one Lex has, can cut paper if held at the wrong angle.
Had to stop using rag based papers with it, as the nib would end up with a ball of fluff on the end.

I had Pendleton Brown modify the nib on my first round B&B special edition Edson at one of the Washington, DC pen shows. I would say that it is a very crisp italic. I think he would refer to it as his cursive italic nib modification. Rather than have me post my poorly done photos, probably better to have a look at what he has posted on his web site of examples of his work. I would say they are very accurate.

I love this modified nib and extremely pleased I had it done. It has a great look. It is crisp.

If I were going to write for an extensive period, I would probably most want to use my Waterman Le Man, standard medium nib. I am convinced this is the smoothest writing nib, most suited to my "hand," of any of the pens and nibs I own.

Top Bottom