What's new

Who has a birth year razor?

image.jpg
I have a Gillette C4 flare tip. It’s from my birth year, but the wrong quarter. It’s a great razor.

Well, I've never had a birth year razor ... until today.
Keep in mind I'm not a spring chicken who was born when Foreigner or Nirvana or even the Beatles were at the top of the charts.
In fact, this was the Number One Song in the country the day I was born. 🤣

I was born (almost) 70 years ago, in the second quarter of 1953.
I did some searching recently, trying to find a Gillette with the Y2 stamp on the base plate that would have been made in the second quarter of my birth year. I found a few but passed on them. Just not very good condition or overpriced. Instead, I bought a Super Speed from the third quarter of 1955, when my brother was born. It hasn't shipped yet.
In the meantime, a member here noticed that I was looking for a Y2 Super Speed and sent one to me out of the kindness of his heart.
It arrived today. I won't mention who sent it without his permission but it was an act of extraordinary generosity and I cannot thank him enough. What a birthday present!
To say I'm humbled is an understatement. It's simply stunning. It's gorgeous and everything works. I'll shave with it tomorrow morning.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I've got a Tech in my birth year and quarter, and I only shave with it on my birthday. Unfortunately 1964 was the year they decided to make the top cap of Techs out of Zamac as far as know 😕.
There's nothing inherently wrong with Zamac. If it's lasted this long then it should easily outlast us, especially if you only use it once a year!

According to Wikipedia "articles made after 1960 are usually considered free of the risk of zinc pest since the use of purer materials and more controlled manufacturing conditions make zinc pest degradation unlikely".

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
There's nothing inherently wrong with Zamac. If it's lasted this long then it should easily outlast us, especially if you only use it once a year!

According to Wikipedia "articles made after 1960 are usually considered free of the risk of zinc pest since the use of purer materials and more controlled manufacturing conditions make zinc pest degradation unlikely".
Thanks for the information @Happy Jack

Me too. Ordered an A3 Blue Tip from him a week ago.
For a while I looked hard to find a birthyear/quarter Fatboy and couldn't find one anywhere that wasn't junk. I sent him a message through Etsy and within a day or three he had responded that he did have one. The price was full market value but it was nice. I later sent it to BRG to be perfected and now it's a joy to behold.

For a while I looked hard to find a birthyear/quarter Fatboy and couldn't find one anywhere that wasn't junk. I sent him a message through Etsy and within a day or three he had responded that he did have one. The price was full market value but it was nice. I later sent it to BRG to be perfected and now it's a joy to behold.
He does seem to have a knack for hunting down vintage razors/blades, etc.
I didn't pay an arm and a leg for the '55 Blue Tip and it's rated in Excellent condition. I'm new at this vintage thing but it's been fun to dip my toe into the water.

Keep in mind I'm not a spring chicken who was born when Foreigner or Nirvana or even the Beatles were at the top of the charts.

I did some searching recently, trying to find a Gillette with the Y2 stamp on the base plate that would have been made in the second quarter of my birth year. I found a few but passed on them. Just not very good condition or overpriced. Instead, I bought a Super Speed from the third quarter of 1955, when my brother was born. It hasn't shipped yet.
In the meantime, a member here noticed that I was looking for a Y2 Super Speed and sent one to me out of the kindness of his heart.
It arrived today. I won't mention who sent it without his permission but it was an act of extraordinary generosity and I cannot thank him enough. What a birthday present!
To say I'm humbled is an understatement. It's simply stunning. It's gorgeous and everything works. I'll shave with it tomorrow morning.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Seeing this post, I decided to go check my 1953 Superspeed and it’s a Y2!

I've got a few.

a 1974 (U) Gillette Black Handle Superspeed. Got it from here years ago and its still in my rotation.
a 1974 (U) Gillette British Tech
a 1974 (U) Gillette TTO Super Slim Twist

a 1974 (U) Gillette Black Beauty. The potato peeler. Somebody unscrewed it completely and it doesn't seem to have gone back together correctly. Instead of being mild mannered its super fierce and just cuts me up badly.

After I was born (mid 1950s) my parents, being somewhat overprotective in my early years, would not allow me to play with super sharp razors or blades. My collection of vintage and more modern razors, amassed slightly after my infant years, sadly does not, to my knowledge, include one manufactured in my year of birth.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Very nice. @luvmysuper gifted me the same razor just by luck. He sent out Super Speeds to a bunch of us as consolation prizes when we didn’t win one of his PIFs.

I was surprised when it arrived and was my year and quarter. Like you, I’ll be 70 soon…..the 19th of May for me.

Wonder if Gillette actually did numerical identification on my Birth Year and Quarter. 1947 First Quarter.

What Gillette besides Non Notch SS did they make for sure in 47?, don't think there is a Razor with those number, quarters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom