What's new

Who hand strops?

Who hand strops? I just saw on one post here what it actually is, and was wondering if many people do that with their DE or SE blades

Tanks!

What could the advantages to doing this be? Seems to me that the surface of the skin would not be abrasive enough to really do anything to a metal blade when stropped against the palm. Just my thoughts.

Only after the exotic coating they put on the edge wears off. Stropping after that can get me a couple/few more shaves out of a blade.

I'm working through a sampler pack and have noticed that palm stropping takes a bit of roughness out of a blade's first shave. I'm assuming this won't be necessary after I get to using the better blades in the sampler though. Until then (I have about 6 more Merkur's to work through), I'll stop away.

I do with my utility knife at work, it seems to make a difference on these type of blade. I know it makes a difference on strait razors so im sure it would on de as well.

I have on some harsh blades like the Sharks just to smooth them out a bit before the first shave.
I haven't done it after the first shave though.

Top Bottom