What's new

Who first started using the word "splash"?

I've never heard the word "splash" used as a synonym for aftershave other than here. Did it originate here or is it a common term in Europe or just where was it first used?

If anyone knows who the first person was to say in response to a waitress asking "what would you like today", "I'll think I'll do the ham sandwich" feel free to post that as well. :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Over here, they were always called aftershave lotion. That's certainly what I've always known them as. I think calling them splash originated over the other side of the pond.

I must admit, I don't like the term. I've got enough intelligence (I hope) to be able to use an aftershave lotion with someone having to rename it with a descriptor for me.

Over here, they were always called aftershave lotion. That's certainly what I've always known them as. I think calling them splash originated over the other side of the pond.

I must admit, I don't like the term. I've got enough intelligence (I hope) to be able to use an aftershave lotion with someone having to rename it with a descriptor for me.
I don't particularly like it either. It sounds a bit too affected to me but to each their own.

I always assumed it was just a term used to differentiate 'splash-on' from 'spray-on'. I remember being able to buy certain colognes in splash or spray, some AS too.

I always assumed it was just a term used to differentiate 'splash-on' from 'spray-on'. I remember being able to buy certain colognes in splash or spray, some AS too.
Same here. I have heard splash on vs spray since the 70’s. Thanks Bobble Darin!

Probably started with someone who misjudged how far away his face was from his hand. No, wait, that would be a slap-on.

Top Bottom