What's new

Who enjoys Barbasol Original in the can now and then?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I was gobsmacked when in another thread @BudgetShaverGuy posted this data (not sourced, but I assume from B&B?) in "Soaps you always come back to?"

Roughly 10% of the roughly 250 responses listed Barbasol Original as an always come back to shave cream. It has one more vote than Proraso Green and came in at #3 in rank. Who uses this, and should I try a can? Have not used canned goo in over a decade, but this has piqued my interest. Pinaud made a shave cream in their Clubman scent I used for years before going with the brush mug that I thought was terrific stuff. Just have not gotten any canned stuff in ages. Maybe I should give Barbasol a whirl if only as a novelty.

Post link here:

Budget, where was that data from? Thanks!

John

I was gobsmacked when in another thread @BudgetShaverGuy posted this data (not sourced, but I assume from B&B?) in "Soaps you always come back to?"

Roughly 10% of the roughly 250 responses listed Barbasol Original as an always come back to shave cream. It has one more vote than Proraso Green and came in at #3 in rank...

John

I believe that was a record of his own personal usage.

I never used it much in the past but I bought some of the 100th Anniversary cans a few years ago to try it and it IS very good stuff. I used it squirted onto a warm damp brush so it would still feel like a fancy wet shave experience instead of just using my hand.

The enigneers would cringe at that since Barbasol was made to be fast and brushless, but I still liked it alot, especially thinned out a little with the water from the brush it was nice and slick

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I hear there's a listing on the BST where you can get a rather large supply for $10 shipped, that's a steal ;)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use it - I went on a tour of the USA with my wife for her 50th birthday and we visited Pasteur's in New York. I was so overwhelmed with the choice that after an hour of browsing I left with a single 100th anniversary can of Barbasol which admittedly is hard to find in the UK. I use it occasionally and it brings back great memories of our trip, it works great with a brush.

ps.JPG

I used to Barbasol, but the smell wasn’t to my Bride’s liking.

Whether Barbasol or other soaps or creams, I shave in a bathroom so it’s always in the can.

My wife also doesn't like the scent of the original Barbasol, but has no problem with the Aloe version. I used the Aloe for decades before moving on to wet shaving.

I see what you did there. If it isn't in the fridge it's in the can for me too.

Roughly 10% of the roughly 250 responses listed Barbasol Original as an always come back to shave cream. It has one more vote than Proraso Green and came in at #3 in rank. Who uses this, and should I try a can? Have not used canned goo in over a decade, but this has piqued my interest. Pinaud made a shave cream in their Clubman scent I used for years before going with the brush mug that I thought was terrific stuff. Just have not gotten any canned stuff in ages. Maybe I should give Barbasol a whirl if only as a novelty.

Post link here:

John

That was my personal usage log. I have been tracking my shaves for 2+ years now in an effort to make them go smoother, closer, and quicker.

What that graph DOEDN’T show is that for the last 5 months I have used canned goo most of the time! I did a few shaves with soaps and a brushes, but ultimately went back to the can as I found that a milder razor, and more importantly, technique, is most important in achieving a great shave. One of those shaves was tallow Tabac, so I can’t help but laugh at this tallow vs vegan Tabac discussion. I prefer Barbasol and Gillette Foamy over Tabac with tallow, by a wide margin.

Barbasol Original and Gillette Barbershop Fresh are my favorite softwares by far!

Probably haven't used it in about 6 months or so but I'll use it from time to time. I don't apply it with my hands much, I feel like I can squeeze out a little bit of extra performance out of it with a brush and adding a small amount of water. I can generally get a no nick/no irritation shave with it and the can seems bottomless.

I never used it much in the past but I bought some of the 100th Anniversary cans a few years ago to try it and it IS very good stuff. I used it squirted onto a warm damp brush so it would still feel like a fancy wet shave experience instead of just using my hand.

The enigneers would cringe at that since Barbasol was made to be fast and brushless, but I still liked it alot, especially thinned out a little with the water from the brush it was nice and slick

Barbasol is incredibly dense and concentrated, much more than Gillette Foamy. I use a large gumball size worth of Barbasol and roughly double that of the Foamy for the first pass and use progressively less of each for the remaining passes and touch-ups.

My biggest gripe with Barbasol is that it needs more water and hand-lather time to get it just right whereas Foamy is very close right from the can, a wet face and hand is plenty, just rub it in and go.

I can see why you like a brush with Barbasol, nothing wrong with that!

Last edited:
Bought a can of the aloe version to use when I'm in a hurry, but am still using up a small can of Gillette Foamy.

If you thin out the lather with some water, it really increases the slickness and reduces clogging the razor.

I use my 100th Anniversary can every month or so. The powdery scent tends to make me sneeze -- fortunately, *after* I finish the shave. If I lather a little TOBS or Trumper's cream in my shave bowl and squirt in some Barbasol, I don't have that problem, and it winds up a very good shave.

Hm. Maybe for tomorrow's 48-hour beard . . .?

Barbasol is not really gooey. It is more on the foamy side. That siaid, I have a couple of 100ml mini cans of Italian shave cream from a company called Prep. It smells like a milder version of Noxeema which I kind of like for travel.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Personal usage log makes more sense. Still, I’m surprised how many still use it. I’ll have to give it a go just for curiosity’s sake.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've heard they have a new base now and are going to do a drop on Aug 20th. Watch their IG and get it before it sells out. :)

It's good. I like the orange can or purple, a little better than the original. Recently inherited a can of the Aloe from my dad. He passed in March so I'll be using it occasionally.

A person could avoid two rabbit holes simply buy using canned product.

Top Bottom