What's new

Who else shaves before the shower

Ok I'm pretty much a newbie with my Shavette... 4th full shave as of tonight..been on the de kick for well over a year. Anyhow.. always shaved right before the nightly shower and never had problem one.. basically I do it because My alarm clock has a great snooze button and its well used [emoji57] what's everyone else's preference?

i too use a shavet most of the time now. i have a straight bit no time to strop so a shavett is nice. i have a vant that takes double edge blades so i can use both in my shavett and de slim. i most often shave after the shower at night or in the morning on the run. when i shave after the shower i get a closer shave and i get a close shave if i shave before but not as close.

Im a before guy. I feel cleaner that way. Dont ever feel like ive gotten all the cream residue off otherwise.

I think as long as the face is wet, and you have a good lather, youre good to go.

I'm a before guy, too. It just makes sense to me, to have one rinse in the shower, rather than have the shower, get my face and hair messy again, and need a second rinse. I've tried shaving afterwards a few times, and it was just more of a faff, and didn't make much difference to the quality of the shave.

Also, I shave and shower in the same bathroom, and find the bathroom in my current place steams up very quickly during the shower. I'd need to air it out a bit and de-fog the mirror if I was going to shave afterwards. Frankly, I don't have that much time in the morning!

I do as well. I've tried both ways and showering before didn't make a lot of difference for me. Au contraire, the mirrors would fog up and that's just annoying when trying to shave.

I started with, and stayed with, the "wash face and leave wet" instructions of mass-market canned foam, always before the shower. Upon taking up traditional shaving, I tried to follow general advice to shave after the shower. I did not care for the change and have gone back to shaving beforehand. The close shave is the same if you prep with oil and allow plenty of wetting and lathering time.
Shaving leaves some amount of lathering product and whiskers on the face. More so, a good traditional shave involves residual prep oil as well. It is simply easier to do a final wash as part of the shower, then apply the towel to the face only once.

Sometimes before, Sometimes after. I don't find a difference in the closeness of shave but do find that I sometimes have some irritation shaving after a hot shower but very rarely do if I shave before. I cold shave always.

Last edited:
I always shave first. Using a straight most mornings I can't have fog on the mirror. It also helps with my time budgeting. ..I make sure to take what time I need to get a great, luxurious shave and I can rush through my shower if need be.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
As long as you've properly hydrated your whiskers, it doesn't matter. For me, showering performs that function but I do shave pre-shower sometimes.

Always shave before my shower, I don't understand how someone can feel clean shaving after showering. Also not sure how some just fill the sink and rinse off the razor in that and use the water to rinse off. Plus if start doing anything like shaving right after showering I would perspire which defeats the purpose to me.

@AMP24 That was another reason I shave first... always sweated my butt off in the steamy bathroom trying to shave after plus.. couldn't see for crap in the mirror

Shower? What's that? :001_huh:

J/K. For many years, I wore a full beard. I still had to trim around the edges, shave my cheeks and neck, etc. Since I got lather in my beard, I shaved before I showered, so I could rinse it out better. I no longer have a beard, but I still prefer to shave before I shower.

I'm a before guy, too. It just makes sense to me, to have one rinse in the shower, rather than have the shower, get my face and hair messy again, and need a second rinse. I've tried shaving afterwards a few times, and it was just more of a faff, and didn't make much difference to the quality of the shave.

Also, I shave and shower in the same bathroom, and find the bathroom in my current place steams up very quickly during the shower. I'd need to air it out a bit and de-fog the mirror if I was going to shave afterwards. Frankly, I don't have that much time in the morning!

Ditto

Top Bottom