What's new

Who else makes them like a Simpsons chubby 1 or classic 2

The above badger brushes are very thickly packed and on the stiff side. Also not overly tall.

This is what I like.

I wonder if manufacturers other than Simpsons make some brushes like these?

I ask because whenever I try a brand other than my beloved Simpsons, I end up with something that to my tastes, is not as short and dense as the above specimens. To my tastes, compared to the brushes above, the others feel too large and floppy.

Thanks in advance.

IMO there is nothing like a Chubby 2 or 3; regardless of hair type they excel.

Shavemac D01 brushes can be in the same category if you get the loft right. You might contact Rudy Vey. He is very familiar with the Shavemac knots and can work with you to get a configuration to fit your tastes.

I have both a Chubby 1 and a Classic 2. Great brushes IMHO!! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

If that’s your (excellent) taste, then your best bet may be to purchase specimens of the same models as Simpsons have considerable variability from piece to piece. You may not find anything more to your taste.

If you really like a tightly packed large brush then a Frank Shaving 38 mm or 40 mm is just for you. It is so tightly packed and the loft so short (for the diameter of the knot) that it like lathering with a fuzzy tennis ball. I might use mine once a year. It seems to be more enjoyable with each use though.

I think I'm spoiled rotten with my Chubby3 Manchurian as I have not found anything close yet. I'm very curious about the Rudy Vey though after the comments here... I have friends and family that wet-shave and would love to be able to advise on a badger brush that has a similar backbone and feel without having to break the bank. If I see one at one of the shaving shops here I'll definitely give it a good look

I didn't know about Frank Shaving. Looks like they are made in China which makes sense as the hair is from there. And yes, that 40mmx55m looks even wider than a chubby 3, but only seventy bucks.

A bit large for my taste, but you sure get a lot of badger for the money. It's like two brushes crammed into one handle.

proxy.php

You can buy those 40mm knots direct from China on alibaba... they're like $30-40 iirc.

Closest match to a 3 band chubby I've encountered was 3 band D01. I've not owned a 2 band chubby that I can remember (I did, but very briefly iirc), but I suspect a LOT of makers have brushes that are similar to them these days as dense two band knots have become the most popular style.

Rooney finest has twice the hair of a simpson chubby. They defy the laws of physics. It's insane.

But of what is still available? D01 is comparable. Closest thing I've found after that are the mixed hair knots from APluxuryshaveco and Maggard. I'm REALLY impressed with those knots. Similar density level to that is the UHD from same.

I've not tried any of the newer makers that people rave about, but most of them look of a similar density to the UHD from the pictures.

There are more hairs in a three band brush certainty, but density? g/in^3? Finest is WAAAAY denser than a chubby. You could probably do pushups with a Finest in each hand and not fully splay the knots. I genuinely don't understand HOW they got those knots that dense.

That said, I picked the densest one listed (weight/loft) when I bought mine, so maybe I got a freak?

Brush density is number of individual hairs per mm, not hair mass per mm.

Density isn't a quality feature, it makes a brush to be a lather hog. It's a compromise to get backbone from softer finer hair. The whole point of stiffer thicker hair is to get away with less density while maintaining good flow through and backbone. What is the point of jamming ton of thick bristles that already have soft tips? Are we lathering or buffing our faces?

Last edited:
Definitely buffing;) But you make a good point @naughtilus. My Chubby3 takes on a good bit of lather. I tend to shave 4 passes plus a cleanup pass and I found it to be spot on for that. I can imagine it is too much for someone doing 1-pass shaves.

For me it is the backbone that drove me to this brush. I liked badger a lot, but it just didn't have the bend-resistance for great face-lathering. I also like the scrub that a denser brush gives me: Still the softness of badger, but enough Oempf that I can feel the bristles and enjoy them each morning. I kind of see it as the best of boar and badger combined. My previous badger brush split so far it actually covered more of my face than the Chubby3 does, just because of backbone and I could hardly feel the brush through the lather. Not with the Chubby though:) When I ordered it, I was afraid it might be too big, but in reality, because of the backbone, I find it to be perfect for me.

Definitely buffing;) But you make a good point @naughtilus. My Chubby3 takes on a good bit of lather. I tend to shave 4 passes plus a cleanup pass and I found it to be spot on for that. I can imagine it is too much for someone doing 1-pass shaves.

For me it is the backbone that drove me to this brush. I liked badger a lot, but it just didn't have the bend-resistance for great face-lathering. I also like the scrub that a denser brush gives me: Still the softness of badger, but enough Oempf that I can feel the bristles and enjoy them each morning. I kind of see it as the best of boar and badger combined. My previous badger brush split so far it actually covered more of my face than the Chubby3 does, just because of backbone and I could hardly feel the brush through the lather. Not with the Chubby though:) When I ordered it, I was afraid it might be too big, but in reality, because of the backbone, I find it to be perfect for me.

The 25mm knot in the Polo 8 Super blooms and swells more than the 28mm Chubby 2 Best. This is because of higher loft and softer finer hair that is less packed. Perfect for bowl lathering softer product. There's a right tool for each application.

Synthetic vs. Boar vs. Badger?

Interesting post @naughtilus. I can only go by my experience and this is not what I see. Perhaps the difference is the Manchurian badger hairs, or my lathering technique. I load very dry. Then lather very dry until the lather starts building. Then I add water until I get it as wet as I can without losing too much cushioning. On subsequent passes by wetting my face and sometimes adding a bit more water to the brush each pass (depending on the soap) get it wetter each pass. At the end I squeeze all the lather from the brush ("NickShaves"-style) and apply it by hand to feel where I want to touch up. I like to load quite a bit, but don't feel I'm going through soap like crazy at all, nor that it eats my lather. Most of it stays nicely near the tips of my bristles and it gives me perfect cover for 4 passes with a perfect amount remaining for the cleanup. Perhaps I misunderstand the "eating up the lather"?

Interesting post @naughtilus. I can only go by my experience and this is not what I see. Perhaps the difference is the Manchurian badger hairs, or my lathering technique. I load very dry. Then lather very dry until the lather starts building. Then I add water until I get it as wet as I can without losing too much cushioning. On subsequent passes by wetting my face and sometimes adding a bit more water to the brush each pass (depending on the soap) get it wetter each pass. At the end I squeeze all the lather from the brush ("NickShaves"-style) and apply it by hand to feel where I want to touch up. I like to load quite a bit, but don't feel I'm going through soap like crazy at all, nor that it eats my lather. Most of it stays nicely near the tips of my bristles and it gives me perfect cover for 4 passes with a perfect amount remaining for the cleanup. Perhaps I misunderstand the "eating up the lather"?

If you had a 3 band CH3 you'd experience the lather hogging. The 'Manchurian' grade is thicker hair, less dense, better flow through (due to lesser capillary action), softer tips, but at a significant price markup.

Last edited:
Okay, I understand. Thanks for sharing that post, it is quite informative!

I'm very happy I chose the Manchurian then; I researched it quite a bit as it had exactly what I was looking for in "my ultimate Badger brush". I'm glad I did not drop to a lower badger hair type to cut costs and stuck with the Manchurian in the end.

It still surprises me each day with how great it feels. Could I get a very close experience with another cheaper brush? Probably. On the other hand, life is for living isn't it? ;)

Okay, I understand. Thanks for sharing that post, it is quite informative!

I'm very happy I chose the Manchurian then; I researched it quite a bit as it had exactly what I was looking for in "my ultimate Badger brush". I'm glad I did not drop to a lower badger hair type to cut costs and stuck with the Manchurian in the end.

It still surprises me each day with how great it feels. Could I get a very close experience with another cheaper brush? Probably. On the other hand, life is for living isn't it? ;)

CH3 3-band vs Manchurian reminded me of this TG bit. Enjoy that 'Grosser' brush.

Top Bottom