What's new

Who Else Gets a Great Shave with a Gillette Fusion 5?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I formerly shaved with a cart with two blades that removed hair with no problem, but felt like I was pulling them out. The shave was fine, but quite uncomfortable.

Recently I've tried the Bic Metal disposables, which may belong in a different category as you replace the handle as well as the cutting end, but whatever. It's quite a pleasant experience compared to the multi-bladed beasts for me. I would have no problem using them for travel.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was content with my Fusion Power. The price of the cartridges didn't even bother me. Our youngest son gave me a Lupo DE Aluminum. Though I didn't care for that particular razor, I was off on the path.

I love shaving more than ever now. It's been a fun trip (double entendre intended). Razors/blades, brushes and soaps, Oh My....

The problem with cartridges isn't the sshave. That's the part where cartridges shine.
The problem with cartridges is that perfect shave lasts one time and it's expensive and wasteful en mass.
After first shave it's gunked up with soap and bacteria and its dull. Then you get irritation and infected hairs.
So yeah if yoi don't mind spending 2.5 or more per shave they are great

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'd use my cartridges for 3 weeks... but I didn't have to shave every day. I've spend enough on this little hobby already to keep me in cartridges until my death.

But I don't mind spending the money. I'm having a blast and enjoying each shave. A chore turned into a pleasure... well worth the price of admission.

I probably used my carts long past when I should have because of the relatively high per-cart cost. And the clogging...how I hate the clogging...

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I could never really get an irritation free shave on my neck with carts. Don't miss that at all. I used the Gillette Sensor, Sensor Excel and the Mach 3.

DE shaving can be much less expensive than carts if you keep your wits about you. I have a Tech that I found in a drawer. Solid brass, shaves great, will last forever. My first razor cost $1.99 in 1973. I use it still. My most expensive razor cost $17. I make great lather from hand soap scraps. My brush cost $4. I’ve had it for 8 years.
DE shaving is very economical if you want it to be.

The problem with cartridges isn't the sshave. That's the part where cartridges shine.
The problem with cartridges is that perfect shave lasts one time and it's expensive and wasteful en mass.
After first shave it's gunked up with soap and bacteria and its dull. Then you get irritation and infected hairs.
So yeah if yoi don't mind spending 2.5 or more per shave they are great
This is amplified when most people keep their carts in showers or bathtubes.

Also, the very nature of modern carts is bad for certain skin and types of hair. They pull and lift to cut by design. Thus cutting below the skin. Far more chances of ingrown hair. Particularly if you have curly or wavy hair. Also if it pulls too much it can break the hair in the follicle leave it and cut it while depositing the bacteria and yay that's gonna leave a scar.
I will agree those super cheap disposable razors are great. Kinda. They sure are sharp. However, they seem so wasteful. While still costing more. They also aren't fun.

Also, the very nature of modern carts is bad for certain skin and types of hair. They pull and lift to cut by design. Thus cutting below the skin. Far more chances of ingrown hair. Particularly if you have curly or wavy hair. Also if it pulls too much it can break the hair in the follicle leave it and cut it while depositing the bacteria and yay that's gonna leave a scar.
This is true for me. In order to get the stubble on my jawline I have to use pressure with the cartridge and I used to get ingrown hairs pretty regularly. This problem has basically disappeared since I started using a DE razor.

Also, I hate how carts clog. Not sure if I mentioned that already. :)

Got great bbs shave with Proglide (4) after extended weekend and not shaving. No nicks, no cuts, no ingrown hair, nothing.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I use a fusion if I’m running late and need to shave quickly in the shower.

I’ve posted this before but In my younger days carts in general were great because I could shave hung over in the shower, with the lights off, the room spinning, a pounding headache, and still manage to look presentable at work.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use a fusion if I’m running late and need to shave quickly in the shower.

I’ve posted this before but In my younger days carts in general were great because I could shave hung over in the shower, with the lights off, the room spinning, a pounding headache, and still manage to look presentable at work.
I've never had a hangover... well, an alcohol hangover, in my life.... but in days gone by, I could shower, shave and be out the door on the way to work in 20 minutes flat. This with one of the Gillette cartridge razors. I think my favorite Gillette cartridge razor is still my Fusion Power... that gentle buzzing with the accompanying surface tension reduction always worked well for me.

In my younger days carts in general were great because I could shave hung over in the shower, with the lights off, the room spinning, a pounding headache, and still manage to look presentable at work.
Hats off to you for not only making it to work in that condition, but making the effort of shaving as well!

I agree, I use a Fusion Proglide in the shower for speed, and some cartridges last a lot longer than others. Just like DE blades, you can get a real “good one” now and again.

I DE shave when I have the time to spare for enjoyment.

Top Bottom