What's new

Who Else Gets a Great Shave with a Gillette Fusion 5?

I know that on most shaving forums, and some YouTube videos it is traditional to gang up on cartridge razors, but I have to admit to getting a great shave with no irritation from cartridge razors, particularly Gillette's Fusion 5. The experience is not as enjoyable overall, but for me it is quick, efficient, convenient and gives a great shave. My DE shaving is more of an enjoyable ritual in contrast.

As to cost, cartridge shaving is infinitely cheaper, since with DE razor shaving I went completely insane with my GAS and acquired several lifetimes supply of different soaps, creams, balms, razors, blades etc., something I never felt the need to do with cartridge shavers, which for me are completely utilitarian, I don't even feel the need to use any shaving balms, aftershave etc. but somehow tend to do with DE shaving.

So what is your experience with cartridge razors, whether by Gillette or other brands. What makes you choose one method over the other?

Last edited:
I had no problem with a cartridge razor. DEs or straights are certainly not any better, per se. They are far more enjoyable to use than a plastic gimmicky cartridge. That's essentially the point of using steel. There is greater enjoyment and it turns into a hobby rather than the chore that it was. The act of cutting can be done with any razor you like. Nothing is worth doing unless you achieve some enjoyment out of it.

As DE blades are not allowed in carry-ons, I use a Schick Hydro 5 when I travel by air if I don't check my luggage. Shaving with a cartridge is not as satisfying to me as DE shaving.

There is a forum dedicated to “modern” shaving systems. Shouldn’t this discussion be in that forum?

I believe the question is aimed to people who converted to DE, SE and SR shaving. Therefor I think it's appropriate to put it here...
Maybe, but he asked for peoples experience with cartridge razors and he only got two responses here. In the proper forum more people interested in cartridge razors would likely have responded, plus it has a lot of discussions about guys experiences with cartridge razors which is what he’s looking for.

Last edited:
I got great shaves with the fusion and probably would still be using it, but the cartridge price made me look elsewhere. Over to DE, SE and injector razors I went.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Invariably, there are people out there that could could get a great shave from a sharpened spoon or clam shell.
Nothing wrong with carts if you like using them.
There is no doubt that DE shaving is indeed cheaper than cart shaving, don't confuse cost per unit with a lack of self control on spending.
For me, carts result in various issues which make them a poor choice - such as clogging, ingrown hairs, per unit cost, the "cheapness" feel of the equipment etc.
With a DE, it's no issue for me to skip a couple of days and not have to spend 5 minutes per stroke getting hair out from between the blades. With a straight razor, you could mow off a months growth with a few strokes and never worry about clogging.
I personally believe that carts jumped the shark when they went for more than two blades, but that's a personal opinion.
If you enjoy the convenience of a quick "get it done and over with" experience, and use them frequently enough to not worry about clogging, and don't have an issue with ingrowns, I'm sure they are fine.
DE shaving brought me from the tedious "get it done and over with" daily chore into an enjoyable leisurely experience that makes shaving actually kind of fun.
I don't do down and dirty quick shaves because I enjoy the process.
But...

YMMV

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know that on most shaving forums, and some YouTube videos it is traditional to gang up on cartridge razors, but I have to admit to getting a great shave with no irritation from cartridge razors, particularly Gillette's Fusion 5. The experience is not as enjoyable overall, but for me it is quick, efficient, convenient and gives a great shave. My DE shaving is more of an enjoyable ritual in contrast.

As to cost, cartridge shaving is infinitely cheaper, since with DE razor shaving I went completely insane with my GAS and acquired several lifetimes supply of different soaps, creams, balms, razors, blades etc., something I never felt the need to do with cartridge shavers, which for me are completely utilitarian, I don't even feel the need to use any shaving balms, aftershave etc. but somehow tend to do with DE shaving.

So what is your experience with cartridge razors, whether by Gillette or other brands. What makes you choose one method over the other?
I just made the transition from the Gillette Fusion 5 power to the ESC Claymore Evolution. It wasn't that I had bad shaves from the Fusion. Our youngest son gave me a Lupo DE aluminum. I tried it and wasn't thrilled... mainly because of the light weight. so I started doing research and ended up with the Claymore Evo. I prefer the rituals associated with wet shaving, as you mentioned, and truth be told, I'm getting much closer shaves. Of course, I'm doing 3 passes. With the Fusion, I just applied their or Edge gel and did one pass and an ATG shave without adding any more gel. I always got acceptable results.. and did see a pretty significant difference with the Power vs. their regular handles.

And like you.... for me, wet shaving is costing me a small fortune. ;) I spent $600 for my initial "Investment"... but I splurged with an expensive razor, a nice synthetic brush, a handmade shaving bowl, two SS handles (for the Lupo DE alum., one for me, one of our son), 2 shaving soaps X2, leather traveling cases, a cool little German shaving bowl as a brush holder, and a few other items. I still didn't have any blades. ;) So I spent another $200 or so on Amazon for blades, pre-shave oils to make my own, a door hanging organizer etc... so $800.00. I have enough soap to last for 2 years, I think. I'll need more blades during that time but I don't think I'll "need" anything else. Still, my ROI is likely to be "never", as I've mentioned quite a few times on B&B.

Final conclusion after writing a couple book chapters, I still prefer wet shaving because I'm enjoying it. With Gillette it was just something I had to do, not something I wanted to do. Since I don't feel the need or want to add new razors, soaps, etc., I think I'm set and can enjoy the other offerings wet shaving provides vicariously through B&B participants.

Invariably, there are people out there that could could get a great shave from a sharpened spoon or clam shell.
Nothing wrong with carts if you like using them.
There is no doubt that DE shaving is indeed cheaper than cart shaving, don't confuse cost per unit with a lack of self control on spending.
For me, carts result in various issues which make them a poor choice - such as clogging, ingrown hairs, per unit cost, the "cheapness" feel of the equipment etc.
With a DE, it's no issue for me to skip a couple of days and not have to spend 5 minutes per stroke getting hair out from between the blades. With a straight razor, you could mow off a months growth with a few strokes and never worry about clogging.
I personally believe that carts jumped the shark when they went for more than two blades, but that's a personal opinion.
If you enjoy the convenience of a quick "get it done and over with" experience, and use them frequently enough to not worry about clogging, and don't have an issue with ingrowns, I'm sure they are fine.
DE shaving brought me from the tedious "get it done and over with" daily chore into an enjoyable leisurely experience that makes shaving actually kind of fun.
I don't do down and dirty quick shaves because I enjoy the process.
But...

YMMV
I agree with your points. When I switched from cartridges, I found the enjoyment factor and great shaves I got from DEs was enough to never go back to cartridges. Again, I did get great shaves from the fusion, put the advantages of DE shaving far outweighed anything I was getting out of cartridge shaving.

One other point I often hear/read is that DE shaving takes too long. I can only speak from my personal experience, but I can do a DE shave in 5 minutes if I’m in a hurry. You just need to use a good soap and a synthetic brush to minimize time spent on prepping the lather. Proper technique is also key. Yes, I’ve timed it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I agree with your points. When I switched from cartridges, I found the enjoyment factor and great shaves I got from DEs was enough to never go back to cartridges. Again, I did get great shaves from the fusion, put the advantages of DE shaving far outweighed anything I was getting out of cartridge shaving.

One other point I often hear/read is that DE shaving takes too long. I can only speak from my personal experience, but I can do a DE shave in 5 minutes if I’m in a hurry. You just need to use a good soap and a synthetic brush to minimize time spent on prepping the lather. Proper technique is also key. Yes, I’ve timed it.
Like any learned skill, speed comes with practice!

The reason why I love my Fusion razor, is because he was the reason why i've decided to change to something else and I was torn between an electric and DE razors, because those were the alternative options that I had and obviously, I chose DE and here I am.

Carts can give a good close shave, but the cost per cartridge is pretty high. Just a few days ago I saw "proglide" cartridges and the price for a 4-pack was $20 USD ($5 USD per cartridge!).

When I used carts, I tried to use them as many times as possible due because they're so expensive, and I always ended up with tugging and ingrown hairs as I used the cart longer than I should. Since I switched to a DE razor, my "acne" problem has virtually disappeared (I was getting a lot of ingrown hairs).

I can get good shaves with a Gillette fusion 5. The only thing is that it might be a tad aggressive for me. I get some irritation if I use it for two or three days in a row, and I’ve occasionally gotten a small nick from it as well.

The Gillette skinguard (2 blades) however is amazing (for me). It’s almost every bit as close of a shave, irritation and nicks free every single time and the carts seem to last a very long time.

I’ve been DE shaving for about a decade now, maybe longer actually. I started on DE and I really do enjoy it but I’ve never been able to completely get rid of nicks and irritation, especially irritation on the neck near the Adam’s apple.
I’ve been daily shaving for almost two months now with the skinguard and I’ve yet to have a bad shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not tried the Fusion 5 but the Gillette SkinGuard is in a world of its own. I used ONE cart for 157 shaves. I only cleaned the soap scum off twice and it never clogged. I did push it a little to far as the last seven shaves we’re not that enjoyable but that was me pushing it to its limits. I also bought some SkinGuard carts that were on clearance and I worked out that I could get over 800 shaves for about $20. I would have to look up the exact post put that is very reasonable for a cartridge razor in my opinion.

Don't think I have ever tried one. Pretty sure I have tried a 3 blade razor. Only have a trac ll for traveling. The thing about using a cartridge is it takes away the art of shaving, spread out a bit of foam and thats it. But if it suits you, why not.

...There is no doubt that DE shaving is indeed cheaper than cart shaving, don't confuse cost per unit with a lack of self control on spending.
With a DE, it's no issue for me to skip a couple of days and not have to spend 5 minutes per stroke getting hair out from between the blades. ...
If you enjoy the convenience of a quick "get it done and over with" experience, and use them frequently enough to not worry about clogging, and don't have an issue with ingrowns, I'm sure they [carts] are fine.
+100 my thoughts exactly! But for me all carts clog if they have more than one blade, even if I shave daily. My stubble is coarse, I guess? One of my favorite things about DE shaving is no more clogging!

lasta

Blade Biter
I get great shaves with the Fusion. In fact, easier to achieve BBS than any DE or straight.

If Fusions weren't so expensive, I'd never have found this forum.

If I'd never have come across this forum, I would have saved a lot of money.

In the end, you gotta pay what you gotta pay.

I wish I could grab a Tech and a pack of Gillette Stainless from the corner store... like the old days.

Top Bottom