What's new

Who can predict their own Future with a Futur?

Today marked the first attempt at DE shaving using a Merfur Futur.

My impression?
Well, let me just say that I took my time after following all of the advice that I had been reading about – soak the beard with hot water, soak the brush in hot water, make lots of later, make short strokes and gradually work the beard down instead of aiming for one pass. I don't have enough experience to compare with other razors, but I have to say that the Futur (for me) was not the mighty beast that some members have implied that it is. I used setting 2 throughout. I used T&H West Indian Limes tube cream with a Vulfix 403 brush. It felt nice and smelled nice.

The results?
One one small nick which I did not even feel. Three passes – along, against and sideways with no razor burn. I used no pressure. In fact, I think that I spent more time attempting “negative” pressure. It only took a few short passes to have faith the the Futur can cut on its own with very little input from me. The experience was more akin to gently directing the Futur and not forcing it to cut.

Am I happy with the results?
Well truthfully, some places would make a baby's butt feel like sandpaper, and other places feel like I simply missed them.

Things learned?
You can read all you want, but it will only take you so far. There is nothing that can substitute for experience.

I like the Futur, though it does tend to get a little slippery with wet hands. I had to dry my shaving hand a few times throughout.

A homemade scuttle using a soup bowl and a custard bowl inserted worked well. It felt nice to have warm lather waiting for the next passes.

Technique is the key. After years of using the Mach3, it makes one lazy on technique skills. The Futur seems to demand attention as well as good technique. There is an optimum “sweet spot” that the Futur has that can only be learned by experience. Consistently maintaining this “sweet spot” is the most challenging aspect of using this razor; it is not difficult to do, just challenging to maintain it consistently.

The Verdict?
I enjoyed the whole experience - the later, the warm water, the dedication to slowness, the even the fearful intimidation of the DE. It was a nice way to start the day.

-joedy

Sounds like you did pretty well for first time, and especially with the future. Learning to use the weight of it and not applying pressure is very important with this Razor and once mastered, can give the best shave you have evr had.

Congrats. Traditional wet shaving is an art that must be practiced, as anything else worth doing well. Stick with it and you'll go far. Feel free to ask questions as you go along.

Great job Joedy!

There truly is no other experience that can compare to the shaving ritual- or at least I haven't found it as of yet!

Marty

Joedy,
I am glad to see that you enjoyed this experience. Most of all, I am impressed with the lessons you take with you from this satisfying exercise.

You can read all you want, but it will only take you so far. There is nothing that can substitute for experience.

I fear that too many gents try to turn wet shaving into rocket science or brain surgery by over-analyzing and not taking that brave first step. Good show!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I have to say, that I never, ever thought that shaving would actually be enjoyable (at least since past the age of 17), but the sheer volume of choices and combinations really makes experimenting fun.

Thank you also, everyone, for being willing to post your experiences and to share your time to help the new folks along.

-joedy

I also just started using a DE razor for the first time in decades, and I too started with the Futur. It felt awfully heavy at first (after the Mach 3, etc.), but now I'm used to it. I'm using the Merkur blade that came with it. Day 1 the setting was 1, day 2 I used 1.5 and got a better shave. I'm still at 1.5 (and the same razor) and this morning (day 4) I got the best shave yet--I assume from the lessons unconsciously learned by experience. I now look forward to shaving each morning, which is quite a change. :smile:

Leisureguy said:
I also just started using a DE razor for the first time in decades, and I too started with the Futur. It felt awfully heavy at first (after the Mach 3, etc.), but now I'm used to it. I'm using the Merkur blade that came with it. Day 1 the setting was 1, day 2 I used 1.5 and got a better shave. I'm still at 1.5 (and the same razor) and this morning (day 4) I got the best shave yet--I assume from the lessons unconsciously learned by experience. I now look forward to shaving each morning, which is quite a change. :smile:

Leisureguy,

I look at your avatar and wonder if there is a stogie in one hand and a single malt in the other!

Randy

I'm up to setting four.

While I can see the mechanics of what opening the razor does, I can't really see the difference that it has been making on my face.

Does anyone else use their Futur on higher settings?

Using setting 4, I am not getting razor burns, but then again, I am not pressing hardly at all.

-joedy

Joedy said:
I'm up to setting four.

While I can see the mechanics of what opening the razor does, I can't really see the difference that it has been making on my face.

Does anyone else use their Futur on higher settings?

Using setting 4, I am not getting razor burns, but then again, I am not pressing hardly at all.

-joedy
Joedy,
It depends upon the blade I am using. I run it as open as 6 with Derby and Merkur, 5 with Feather. I could not get a really comfortable shave in the Futur with a Euro Gillette no matter where I set it.

Is the point of opening the razor to allow for an increased shaving angle?

Or, does it merely just allow more skin to be exposed to the blade?

From setting 1 to 4, I haven't really noticed any differences.

By the way, I am using a Merkur blade. Today was shave number 6 with it. It should be about time to change the blade, I suppose?

-joedy

Joedy,
When I open the throat more I reach for a steeper, more acute angle.. I would not necessarily recommend these particular blade setting combinations for anyone else, as these are the settings I arrived at after some experimentation.. If I find halfway through the week that I am not getting a good enough shave, I either change blades or open the throat some more. On some occasions changing the settings works, on all occasions changing the blade does.:blushing:
BTW if you are looking for that which constitutes a good enough shave, you must ask SWMBO. If I don't get an ouch-free smooch in the AM and yet another upon return from the office in the PM, it's just not good enough!

My test has been one that had been advised by a particular lady who was herself in the process of giving a good shave self-test procedure....

"Rub your face on your inner wrist, right below the palm. If it feels rough there... imagine all of the other places that it feels worse!"

Suffice to say, us men sometimes need a perspective like this to drive the point home.

-joedy

Top Bottom