What's new

Who can name movies or TV shows that have shaving scenes.

This is Ralph Kramden (Jackie Gleason) from an episode of The Honeymooners, one of my favorite TV shows of all-time. Gleason insisted the shows, which were filmed live, be performed without any prior rehearsals with the cast. Each cast member would just receive the script and show up for filming. This allowed for great impromptu scenes/spontaneity.

58DF4D73-C4E3-4879-9A02-9A818E815A5C.jpeg

Johnny Come Lately (1943):

Cagney 1.jpg

An unemployed James Cagney is sitting in a park in a small, late 19th century American town idly reading Dickens and dry shaving with a straight razor.

Cagney 2a.jpg

An old woman warns him the police will arrest him for vagrancy and put him on a chain gang for two months.

He keeps reading Dickens and winds up before a judge. The widow lady bails him out, gives him a job and puts him up.

Cagney 3a.jpg

In the bathroom he finds a set of straight razors, one for each day of the week, and asks a bemused Hattie McDaniel through the door what day it is. Why do you want to know in the bathroom, she asks.

Cagney 4.jpg

If the police found Cagney in a park holding an open straight razor in 21st century America, they would shoot first and ask questions later.

Nice post! I wanna see this movie now. Not just for the razors either.
Johnny Come Lately (1943):

View attachment 1267180

An unemployed James Cagney is sitting in a park in a small, late 19th century American town idly reading Dickens and dry shaving with a straight razor.

View attachment 1267181

An old woman warns him the police will arrest him for vagrancy and put him on a chain gang for two months.

He keeps reading Dickens and winds up before a judge. The widow lady bails him out, gives him a job and puts him up.

View attachment 1267182

In the bathroom he finds a set of straight razors, one for each day of the week, and asks a bemused Hattie McDaniel through the door what day it is. Why do you want to know in the bathroom, she asks.

View attachment 1267183

If the police found Cagney in a park holding an open straight razor in 21st century America, they would shoot first and ask questions later.

In the movie "Captains Courageous" -- 1937, we don't actually see anyone shaving, but a razor plays a pivotal role in the story.

Capts Courageous 1.jpg

It is said to be a safety razor, purchased for one dollar by mail order. It appears to be a straight razor with a guard. However, there is a small box at the top that might contain blades, so perhaps it is a sort of Shavette? (The story was written in 1897, so there is some ambiguity regarding the time frame of the razor.)

Without giving away spoilers, the meaning of the razor is best understood in the light of Rudyard Kipling's poem "If."

Last edited:
It's way past time I saw this movie. I have the novel at home, but have never seen the film. And almost anything with Cary Grant in it is worth watching twice. Four times if Myrna Loy is included.
Unfortunately, YooToob only has it if you're willing to buy it or rent it. Grrrr. On the plus side, YT has Cary's drama People Will Talk from 1951, with Jeanne Crain, and the classic 1952 Monkey Business with Ginger Rogers. There's no logic as to what classic film will be free.

Unfortunately, YooToob only has it if you're willing to buy it or rent it. Grrrr. On the plus side, YT has Cary's drama People Will Talk from 1951, with Jeanne Crain, and the classic 1952 Monkey Business with Ginger Rogers. There's no logic as to what classic film will be free.
Monkey Business is outstanding! Great cast, pacing. My personal favorite Monroe role.

I just watched a documentary titled "Three identical Strangers" about identical triplets who were separated at birth and discover each other by chance. Later, they find out that the adoption agency separated them on purpose as part of a highly-unethical experiment to see if they developed the same traits despite growing up apart (i.e. nature vs. nurture).

I recommend this movie. It starts out lighthearted, but gets darker as the extent of the experiment becomes known.

Anyway, about halfway through the movie, one of the triplets lathers up with canned gel and shaves with a disposable three-blade pivoting-head razor (maybe a Bic Flex 3 or something similar).

Lathering up:
proxy.php

ATG pass:
proxy.php

XTG pass:
proxy.php

"Dinner at Eight" - 1933

View attachment 1286432

Wallace Beery builds a lather, while working himself into a lather arguing with Jean Harlow:

View attachment 1286440

View attachment 1286441

View attachment 1286442

View attachment 1286443

View attachment 1286444

View attachment 1286445

View attachment 1286448

View attachment 1286450

View attachment 1286451

What writing! What a cast! What a lather!

-=-
Great movie. What's the safety razor? I'm assuming it's a new?

Great movie. What's the safety razor? I'm assuming it's a new?

Sorry. They didn't put the name of the razor in the dialogue.

Don't you just hate it when they do that?

Perhaps this will help our tonsorial forensic sleuths:

dat c1.jpg

dat c2.jpg

dat c4.jpg

Hope this doesn't give anyone nightmares.

This is the best I can do with my poor print. Perhaps some one with a BluRay can do a better screen capture.

Notice the top billing: Marie Dressler. Forget Garbo. Audiences adored her back then.

I will leave it to others to speculate on the razor, aside from ruling out a Kampfe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom