What's new

Who can name movies or TV shows that have shaving scenes.

I just watched a 1967 documentary on TCM called "Titicut Follies" about a state-run mental hospital in Massachusetts. It is highly disturbing as you'll learn if you read the linked Wikipedia article.

So, for the purposes of this thread, I'll only describe the relevant scene: Guards lead a patient named Jim from his cell to a barbering station to be shaved. Jim is naked and his discomfort at being filmed is evident. He's lathered up and a guard rapidly shaves his face with what looks like an open-comb razor. The guard is shaving so haphazardly that Jim ends up bleeding quite badly. Then, his face is wiped with towels and he's led back to his cell where he acts out, most likely due to the inhuman treatment that he's just endured.

If you're curious to see this scene (or the entire film, for that matter), it's available on Vimeo (you'll probably see a message about privacy settings below; click through to the website and skip to the 25:30 mark):

I recommend watching the whole thing. As the film's tagline says "Don't Turn Your Back On This Film... If You Value Your Mind Or Your Life."
It's a great but disturbing movie.

Enola Holmes, which is curently available on UK Netflix - Mycroft (Enola and Sherlock's brother) gets a straight shave sometime around the hour mark. Not much focus on the actual shaving, but they (Mycroft and Inspector Lestrade) are in a barber's.

Eben Stone

Staff member
There is a shaving scene in High Sierra (1941 movie) with Humphrey Bogart. I dont remember the details about the razor but I remember he spends a few seconds inspecting his shave afterwards.

There is a short shaving scene in he TV show "Endeavour" season 5 episode 5 at about the 1 minute 30 seconds mark and at the 9 minute 33 second mark is the same sink, brush, soap and razor but the person that was shaving in the first scene is dead.

Last edited:
"The Parent Trap" (1961): Brian Keith shaves twice. The first time he's lathered up while out camping. He's carrying a double edged razor but we don't see him using it. The second time he drags an electric shaver over his face to go on a date with his ex wife.

I've been watching the Kung Fu series ( loved it as a kid) and stumbled across an episode in season three, called Battle Hymn. It features David Carradine shaving his head dry with a straight razor. It also features prominent parts and performances by Jose Feliciano and Cannonball Adderley.

It’s not a shaving scene, but there’s an early 90’s (now vintage) can of Gillette Foamy on a shelf in the Sac O’ Suds convenient store the ill-fated youts are browsing for budget college kid food. Looked so generic!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I stumbled across High Sierra (1941) with Humphrey Bogart last night. I think it's about 20 minutes in at the cabin that Bogart's character Roy is shaving. I couldn't tell what type of razor he uses, but he's taking some pretty mean swipes with it! Also, looking at wikipedia, I didn't realize that Pard, the dog, is actually Bogarts!
Dave
High Sierra, Humphrey Bogart. It's a 3-pc, but I can't say for certain which model.
There is a shaving scene in High Sierra (1941 movie) with Humphrey Bogart. I dont remember the details about the razor but I remember he spends a few seconds inspecting his shave afterwards.

I just recently saw this movie. Its definitly a SE. It looks like a one of the Gem Juniors or similar to me.

Just watched "Blazing Saddles" yesterday evening.
Gene Wilder shave with a straight razor, but his technique is not what it should be...

May have been said already but, Darjeeling Limited...
AB06739B-A5E0-45C6-8B8D-54840A1671C9.jpeg

Great film! 🎥

Top Bottom