What's new

Who among us, if anyone, can pull off . . .

Is it possible to determine which style of hat would best work with one's face & head shape/size?

This is not meant to be patronising and is what I did. Go to a hatter dressed in the typical outfit you will be wearing with the hat. Try some styles on. Look in the mirror. If you can't decide, ask the salesman for an opinion. I ended up picking a Borsalino Como fedora.

- Peter

no one pulls it off well... :sleep:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The closest I can get is a Homburg (while Milan straw in the avatar). My face is just too narrow for the full on Derby.

Just find a nice wool or fur felt one with a traditional hatband and you'll look superlative.

I have never seen a nice quality wool felt hat. Do they actually exist? My collection is all either Milan straw (find it breathes better than panama or others) or a variety of fur felts.

This round goes to Graybeard.

But I would say not everyone in the second picture is really pulling it off.

1. The guy seated in the middle is out because his hat doesn't fit (too small).
  2. The guy standing on our left also has a too-small hat, just not as bad as #1.
  3. The guy standing on our right wears it like he was drunk.
The remaining two (seated on left and right) look like they are quite in tune with their hats.

I notice the two standing guys have a wide-eyed look like they are a afraid to have their picture taken!

This round goes to Graybeard.

But I would say not everyone in the second picture is really pulling it off.

1. The guy seated in the middle is out because his hat doesn't fit (too small).
  2. The guy standing on our left also has a too-small hat, just not as bad as #1.
  3. The guy standing on our right wears it like he was drunk.
The remaining two (seated on left and right) look like they are quite in tune with their hats.

I notice the two standing guys have a wide-eyed look like they are a afraid to have their picture taken!

FWIW, I thought we were talking about people today. No one really pulls of the powdered wig today either, but I guess you could link me some pics of guys from the 1700s... If we get to a time and place where we wear 3 piece suits, pocket watches, etc. on a day to day basis (to go shopping, work, dinner, etc.), then my opinion might change... Until then...

FWIW, I thought we were talking about people today. No one really pulls of the powdered wig today either, but I guess you could link me some pics of guys from the 1700s... If we get to a time and place where we wear 3 piece suits, pocket watches, etc. on a day to day basis (to go shopping, work, dinner, etc.), then my opinion might change... Until then...

Actually I agree with you. I still think Liza Minelli wore it quite well but it's certainly a dated look that I don't think was ever attractive. The second picture was really for contrast and a joke. It's a picture of the real Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the rest of the Wild Bunch.

- Peter

I see your point, based on the difference between "can" and "could".

I wear a bowler frequently in my alter ego of morris dance musician. Keeps my head warm in winter and also serves the dual purpose of being useful for collecting the cash!

Goes quite well with the white shirt, white knee socks and black britches and a leather waistcoat!

Gareth

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Poor loser.

And, I might just add, I KILL in a powdered wig.

B

bluefoxicy

Don't know about a Derby, decent style but looks like crap on just about anyone except Lou Costello.

Now, a regular at the bar I frequent says chicks dig the Fedora....

These actually work fairly well for me.

Top Bottom