What's new

Whittling Knife

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You might like a Barlow knife. Nearly all manufacturers make them. A Schrade Old Timer Barlow can be had for for 16 bucks.
I got one in the bag! Don’t know if it’s a Schrade. But it says Barlow on it.

I tried the Case last night and I wasn’t much impressed with it. I think I need a bigger knife to get a grip. It felt too thin. Didn’t seem like it held an edge very long either. I sharpened it with the Lansky system at a 25 degree angle. It sliced through paper just fine and shaved my arm hair. After a few minutes on the stick I could tell it was getting dull. BUT, I’m pretty sure I was whittling a hardwood. I’ll try the white one next.

A bit to hot to whittle next to!

View attachment 913763
That case is one of the finest pocket knives made. I would sharpen it, and any whittling knife, at a higher angle (30-35) for edge durability. I don’t think it’s big enough for whittling. You need a decent size knife to whittle. Green wood is best. The carbon steel Opinel loook great. Locking is best but not needed. The patina guys are putting on them is cool. I’m getting an apple and a new Opinel too!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here’s the Barlows. One says Colonial on the blade the other says Imperial or Imper Tails. They are so jacked up I can’t hardly tell. Both say USA as well on the blades.

Also what looks like another Case knife but no Case markings on it. Looks like it might say New York USA on the blade and then 21 on the other side of the blade.

And just for fun a Laguiole. Reckon this one is worth anything? I Just have it in the bag with all the rest.

0D9F8D88-CF3A-4B2F-B95B-B5109837C9F4.jpeg

0664EF01-8D82-46FE-AD7D-B1AB8DAC6AB6.jpeg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Sweet. Yes, I would guess the Laguiole to be the priciest of the lot. (Although there are fakes out there). What brand are the Barlows. One looks like Imperial.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Sweet. Yes, I would guess the Laguiole to be the priciest of the lot. (Although there are fakes out there). What brand are the Barlows. One looks like Imperial.
Yeah pretty sure one is Imperial. The other says Colonial. The blades are so tore up I can’t make it out. Any tips for making them less dirty? Crazy patina on them.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Yeah pretty sure one is Imperial. The other says Colonial. The blades are so tore up I can’t make it out. Any tips for making them less dirty? Crazy patina on them.
600 grit sandpaper, dip in vinegar, sharpen and whittle.

Here are my carving knives...
Helvie, home made, Case Seahorse whittler, Whittlin Jack.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Hi,

The Imperial and Colonial Barlows are littermates. The brands blended together, so that's why they look similar. the one stamped 21 on the blade is a Camillus #21 Pony Jack. It appears to have been well loved, the blades are sharpened to near oblivion. One of my favorite "Going to Town" patterns, I have a half dozen of those. Great pocket knives, but are a bit too small for effective whittling even if all the blades are full.

I love the Case Seahorse Whittler. A real beauty, but the Tru-Sharp steel is a bit soft for my taste in whittling. The handle shape is awesome though.

Many serious carvers make their own knives. They particularly like the large handles so they can carve and sand the handles to custom fit their own hands.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Looking for suggestions for a cheap whittling knife. $20 or less would be great.

It may be up to about $24 now ... but that's one heck of a deal. You get a locking blade as well ... having cut myself once with a non-locking knife, I'll always use locking from now on.

Buy a Mora with a carbon steel blade. I've got a couple of them with no complaints, other than the usual "the sheath could use some improvement". Then again, for a $12-$15 knife, I can't complain too much. All of mine are carbon steel. Edge retention has been very impressive. The one I use the most has had the edge touched up with a honing steel, mostly to fix a bad spot I created using it to strike a ferro rod. I've since ground the spine square, so that's no longer necessary. It hasn't seen a stone yet.

Top Bottom