What's new

White's boots rough out leather?

I'm 90%+ decided to pull the trigger on buying a pair of White's Premium 6" Construction Boot with Crepe Sole. What I can't decide on is the leather. I like the look of the black with the rough out and where I work scuffing would be an issue with smooth leather. Does anyone have any experience with the rough out leather? Will the black rough out show a lot of dirt and require a lot of upkeep? Will having the smooth side inside increase sweating or affect comfort? What are the pros and cons for rough out? The white sole doesn't quite look right with the other colors to me but that sole is also a big reason I'm attracted to this boot because I walk, lift and carry on concrete floors for 10+ hours a day. I'd really appreciate some input and advice/opinions on this. This would be a major purchase but in the last year and a half I've spent over $400 on shoes that don't hold up and/or are uncomfortable.

the point of owning shoes in rough out is that it requires minimal or even no maintenance. but as far as that minimal maintenance, treat it like suede in terms of using a brush and/or eraser to raise clean dirt from the nap.

you can oil it if you want, but what's the point? you'll lose the nap that you bought rough out for in the first place. as far as interior, i i don't know if you're buying lined or unlined boots but that's probably a non-issue regardless.

i'm more concerned with a crepe sole. while crepe is comfortable, it will get torn up sooner than you think, it has **** grip and aesthetically, i can't get behind it.

Its called a christy crepe sole by vibram. From what I've read you do trade in some durability for a lighter sole(lighter boot) that will absorb more shock from walking on hard surfaces and its not a good sole for wet conditions or ice but I'm working indoors on sealed concrete and usually only walk outside for about 2 miles when I don't ride my bicycle.

Crepe soles get very dirty, are impossible to clean and wear out fast in my experience. Of course, I never had a beautiful pair of White’s. I would not like work boots that couldn’t be oiled. I like suede boots and shoes, but not for work. If my work boots get scuffed, I oil them and they look new. Again, Redwings not White’s are my experience. If you do get a pair of White’s, make sure to post a pic! Good luck!

Its called a christy crepe sole by vibram. From what I've read you do trade in some durability for a lighter sole(lighter boot) that will absorb more shock from walking on hard surfaces and its not a good sole for wet conditions or ice but I'm working indoors on sealed concrete and usually only walk outside for about 2 miles when I don't ride my bicycle.

When I bought my Nicks, I added the spenco insole option (built 1 size wider) which helps with walking or working on hard surfaces. There's also the honey vibram sole which adds cushioning/comfort. You either or both.

I don't think the high arch support with a flat sole like christy crepe sole is possible. At least in the Nicks. You might consider this as well. I personally would never go back to a boot without the arch support.

The flat christy crepe soles are good for guys who may have to climb ladders all day. Carpenters/framers prefer them.

The premium construction boot has a medium arch. I don't have high arches so don't think it would be an issue for me. 20 years ago I had a pair of redwings with a flat wedge style sole(not crepe though) when I worked in a warehouse and it was my favorite boot ever and when I went back to get new boots they stopped making them(those boots lasted me 3 years) and at the time I was unaware that I could get the boots re-soled.

own both whites and nicks. no Vibram though. 10+ hours on concrete I would go for comfort. my whites bison are just incredible in that sense. you might find out how expensive Vibram resoles are. probably a big difference than a total redo.

I figure that if I have to resole every 18 months it would still be worth it and the cost shouldn't be more than buying 150 to 200 dollar new boots that are going to be hit or miss in comfort and durability.

I'm currently waiting on a response from whites on whether some customizations I want to the boot are doable.

Here's the boot on white's website: White's Boots | Safety Work Boots | Spokane, WA

These are to customizations/options I'd like in that boot if possible:

Leather color: Black Rough-Out

Lace Design: Lace to Toe

Toe Box: Double Celastic Toe

Hardware: Black

Edge Dressing: Black(preferred) or Natural

Stitching Color: Black

Normally Purchased Shoe Size: Men's 13EE or 13W

No Logo Stamping on the boot

Red Dog Tongue Guard

Black Tongue Guard

My other option is to contact Bakers and see if they can do the Custom Cougar(White's Cougar Boots | Custom Cougar | Baker's Boots & Clothing) built on the C461 last with the upturned toe and still do all the other options available with the Northwest last that boot is usually built on. If I have to absolutely choose then I may just go with the Custom Cougar over the White's Premium Construction Boot for the Cougar's wider list of options and give up on getting the upturned toe and medium arch support.

Last edited:
You really should talk to Nick's too. Many of their customers were once White's customers.

Thanks....The Traveler from nicks seems to tick most boxes and it can be made with a composite toe which was a major trade off with the White's since I need to pass through a metal detector at work. Now I have too many options.....let the analysis paralysis ensue.

Thanks....The Traveler from nicks seems to tick most boxes and it can be made with a composite toe which was a major trade off with the White's since I need to pass through a metal detector at work. Now I have too many options.....let the analysis paralysis ensue.
Love to buy new boots!

I contacted Nicks with some questions about the Traveler and possible customizations. They tried to steer me clear of the boot and sole and up sold me on a more expensive option. I'm kind of on the fence as how to take it.....I already knew the crepe sole would wear more quickly and I don't think the boot they recommend really fits my needs or would be comfortable and I just hate the color of the honey vibram sole they recommended plus it uses some heavy screws in it which means I'd have to take them off everytime I went through the metal detectors at work but I do appreciate them trying to point me towards something that won't wear out as quickly. Its odd but it really knocked the wind out of my sails for the whole process and I'm now back at the start and not sure what I want but kind of leaning towards the Custom Cougar. The crepe sole should last at least a year before needing to be replaced? People seem to be acting like it will wear out in weeks or a couple months.

I contacted Nicks with some questions about the Traveler and possible customizations. They tried to steer me clear of the boot and sole and up sold me on a more expensive option. I'm kind of on the fence as how to take it.....I already knew the crepe sole would wear more quickly and I don't think the boot they recommend really fits my needs or would be comfortable and I just hate the color of the honey vibram sole they recommended plus it uses some heavy screws in it which means I'd have to take them off everytime I went through the metal detectors at work but I do appreciate them trying to point me towards something that won't wear out as quickly. Its odd but it really knocked the wind out of my sails for the whole process and I'm now back at the start and not sure what I want but kind of leaning towards the Custom Cougar. The crepe sole should last at least a year before needing to be replaced? People seem to be acting like it will wear out in weeks or a couple months.
Redwing makes a composite toe boot. Maybe if there is a local store you could look at their soles and choices?...

Top Bottom