What's new

White beard

It seems that since my beard turned white it’s gotten tougher and harder to shave.
Is this even a thing?

Hmm.. I'm just starting to get salt with my pepper but haven't noticed any difference. My hair is super coarse btw.

So for a coarser beard I wonder if one should go for a finer or more obtuse edge? Or does it matter?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The edge angle didn't matter to me at all, but I've always preferred meatier straights (when I used them).

So for a coarser beard I wonder if one should go for a finer or more obtuse edge? Or does it matter?
More preparation. Soak the beard a bit longer. There is a greater symbiosis between the different elements of shaving with straight shaving.

I can attest that straight shaving in my teens, 20s, 30s was less work and my beard has definitely toughened over the years.

Since my beard went white (well grey and white), I've found that I have to be more diligent about touching up my straights in order to get comfortable shaves.

Generally for me, it means heavier grind more than anything. I still like hollows and have some in my favorites pile, but the heavier and bulkier blade tend to move through my course whiskers with less resistance and feedback.

As time passes more of my beard is turning from red to white. The red hair is wiry and curly, with nice thick follicles, but as the white come in they're flat and wavy, almost as if they've been pinched. Watching the transition is something that takes me aback, and i don't ever quite get used to.

My beard has been white for several years now. It is very difficult to shave and quickly destroys the edges of my blades. Good beard preparation is essential.

Unfortunately, I also have very sensitive skin due to my genetic heritage (blue eyes, ruddy complexion, Rosacea). The combination makes shaving a challenge.

When using a straight razor, I hone my razors to a very keen edge using high-grit hones like a Suihiro G20K and then polish the edges using pasted strops with abrasives as fine as 0.1 micron CBN. That produces an edge that is very sharp, yet very smooth. Unfortunately, the edge will only last a few shaves before a touch-up is required.

When shaving with a DE, I like using the very sharpest blades: BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, Gillette Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, and Personna Israeli Reds. However, those blades are too "aggressive" for use in an aggressive razor, so I use them in mild to moderately aggressive razors. In more aggressive razors, I use blades that are not quite as sharp, but are smoother. I can only get 3-4 shaves before the edge is either too dull for my beard, or too rough for my face.

I did not include Feather in my list of very sharp blades as the edge deteriorates so quickly that I cannot even complete the third shave before the edge is too rough for my face. Thus, they are not cost effective.

My beard was in the salt and pepper stage when I came back to DEs. When I switched to straights the pepper was almost all gone. All that said, once honed, a straight edge seems to just keep going on and on. (I'm using Slash's Method.)

With all that said, I haven't notice much of a coarseness difference as I've aged. But, my wife has always said that I don't need to buy sandpaper..."just use your face"... I disagree... My face is fine for pine. But, it can't handle any of the hardwoods.

Top Bottom