What's new

Whisker strategy help

I've sported a circle beard/mustache-with-attached-goatee for many many years, but I think it needs some work.

So far, I keep it trimmed very short - twice a week or so I buzz it with some Wahl trimmers. Guide on it says "III" (not sure if that means 3 - seems way shorter than my other Wahl trimmer combs marked '3'). I don't use a single product on it - it gets washed along with my face with Irish Spring bar soap.

I'd like to get a thicker, more full look. It's not patchy - just so short that you can easily see skin. What's the right strategy? Grow it out longer, comb it and use some oil on it? It's a salt/pepper look at this point.

Here it is from an old picture - bit rough around the edges as I hadn't cleaned up the sides in a few days here.
$beard.JPG

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Trim twice a week !? How do you expect it to change/improve? I'd say stop trimming it, let it grow out a bit longer and a bit wider. You shouldn't need beard oils until it gets very much longer, YMMV.

Last edited:
Trim twice a week !? How do you expect it to change/improve? I'd say stop trimming it, let it grow out a bit longer and a bit wider. You shouldn't need beard oils until it gets very much longer, YMMV.

No no no - I *was* always trimming it twice a week in the past. I now want it to look better/ fuller, so have stopped trimming it. However, I know from past experience that it will get wild. Just wondering how best to tame it once it does.

I would leave it a little wider and possibly a little farther back under the chin towards the neck. Then trim out around the soul patch. I used to do this with the small cutter on the back of my trimmer, now I use a half DE shavette. Once it gets a little longer trim with scissors to a slight point and leave it a little longer in the front. I never used any product other than shampoo, conditioner makes it to fluffy and wild looking. Hope this helps.

I would leave it a little wider and possibly a little farther back under the chin towards the neck. Then trim out around the soul patch. I used to do this with the small cutter on the back of my trimmer, now I use a half DE shavette. Once it gets a little longer trim with scissors to a slight point and leave it a little longer in the front. I never used any product other than shampoo, conditioner makes it to fluffy and wild looking. Hope this helps.

thanks, I'll give this a try!

Once it gets longer , use a beard balm that contains Shea Butter followed by a soft boar bristle beard brush. The balm will keep the "wild" hairs in place and the brush will feed the balm to your roots more evenly.

Good advice, everyone. I'm letting it grow out more and more, and also I've shaped it to be more circular rather than straight vertical edges. Looking better already, IMO. I definitely need to find some beard balm and get a brush or comb, though, as the wild hairs are getting more unruly. :)

Ok, 10 days later, here's where we are. I've not trimmed it at all (other than a little on the mustache to keep it out of my mouth), and I've let it grow out on the sides in more of a circle shape rather than verticle sides. No beard balm/oil so far. I've ordered a small boar brush and some of the Amish Beard Balm to use in it. Around the beard you can see the results of my second-ever DE shave. :001_smile

$beard.jpg

Top Bottom