What's new

Whisker classification system

Excelent Post.

Maybe you should combine it with the growth pattern.

The 2 per day mandatory shave , the 2 per year etc.

Grade IV+ here. My face is to razors what a double black diamond is to a toddler on his first day skiing.

I found this post while trying to figure out what a "coarse" beard really is. Do I have a coarse beard? How about Fatboy at 9 for WTG with no damage and not much progress? Does that count as "coarse?"

I'm a wet shaving noob, but I can think of the following factors:

Whisker thickness (actual diameter of hair)
Whisker density (hairs per square inch, centimeter, whatever)
Whisker slant (the angle the hair leaves the skin)

For instance, my whiskers are not that thick (I don't think) but are of very high density and slant. Fatboy at 9 WTG doesn't do much due to the slant (I think), whereas ATG is a very ginger process, and nearly impossible so far on my neck at any setting. But we continue to improve...

Is there any place one can go for a beard analysis/consultation?

Last edited:
As a 21-year-old Asian, I fall under Grade I (except for my moustache area, which is almost Grade II). I still try to shave every morning though; it's become this ritual for me.

I found this post while trying to figure out what a "coarse" beard really is. Do I have a coarse beard? How about Fatboy at 9 for WTG with no damage and not much progress? Does that count as "coarse?"

I'm a wet shaving noob, but I can think of the following factors:

Whisker thickness (actual diameter of hair)
Whisker density (hairs per square inch, centimeter, whatever)
Whisker slant (the angle the hair leaves the skin)

For instance, my whiskers are not that thick (I don't think) but are of very high density and slant. Fatboy at 9 WTG doesn't do much due to the slant (I think), whereas ATG is a very ginger process, and nearly impossible so far on my neck at any setting. But we continue to improve...

Is there any place one can go for a beard analysis/consultation?

I couldn't have said this better myself.

I find that XTG and ATG is a very tender process. Too fast or too aggressive and youve got morse code blood spots.

Ive also notice that my hair comes out almost flat to the skin in some areas, which makes WTG difficult.

Pierce

Top Bottom