What's new

Whipped Dog

Very nice. I had an enjoyable shave this morning with my own sight-unseen Union Cutlery "Spike" half-hollow. Larry's a great guy to work with. He makes it absolutely bloody easy to get started with a straight.

well as expected this is gonna take some time to get down. Yesterday i lathered up and started shaving my cheeks i quickly realized i had shakey hands due to several cups of coffee, no breakfast, and a big of a hangover. After clumsily shaving my cheeks i realized this was not the day to start. I finished with my de and was a bit dissapointed.
Well i woke up today and gave it another go. I felt more confident holding the razor all ready and made a very decent pass using both hands! Not real close but did my whole face and no nicks or cuts. I should have quit while i was ahead, a bit overconfident i jumped in for another pass. I ended up with one nice nick and a 1/4 or so inch cut just below my nose from putting the razor down awkwardly.
Lesson learned, take it slow and respect that you have a very sharp blade up to your face. I think i'm on the right track but i can already tell that this is gonna take quite a bit of practice.

well as expected this is gonna take some time to get down. Yesterday i lathered up and started shaving my cheeks i quickly realized i had shakey hands due to several cups of coffee, no breakfast, and a big of a hangover. After clumsily shaving my cheeks i realized this was not the day to start. I finished with my de and was a bit dissapointed.
Well i woke up today and gave it another go. I felt more confident holding the razor all ready and made a very decent pass using both hands! Not real close but did my whole face and no nicks or cuts. I should have quit while i was ahead, a bit overconfident i jumped in for another pass. I ended up with one nice nick and a 1/4 or so inch cut just below my nose from putting the razor down awkwardly.
Lesson learned, take it slow and respect that you have a very sharp blade up to your face. I think i'm on the right track but i can already tell that this is gonna take quite a bit of practice.
Congrats! You're miles ahead of where I was when I started. My advice? Take it slow. Don't force anything, including a close shave.

Congrats! You're miles ahead of where I was when I started. My advice? Take it slow. Don't force anything, including a close shave.

Thanks, i should add that i have a goatee so i don't have to worry about the chin area. It wierd having my hands and razor blocking the view of the blade certain places and the right hand grip (i'm a lefty) is very akward feeling but i'm gonna keep at it. Probably do a few evening shaves this week as i'm not sure i'm awake enough yet to shave at 6 am.

It will come in time. I've been forced to use the old cartridges that are on the shelf in a pinch and I have the worst shave with them. Only straights for this guy from here on out. BBS

Thanks for all the advice guys. I did both cheeks to the goatee this morning, i wasn't planning to but i couldn't resist. No problems and it felt a bit nicer as i was focusing on my angle. I finished with the DE. I may do this all week just to get the feel of the grip a little better. I'm still a bit hesitant about the upper lip as that is where i had some blood shed, but im not gonna rush anything, and i'll give it another go soon

Hi guys,

I'm a Newbie here and I just received my first straight razor which I bought from Larry of Whipped Dog (sight half seen deal+badger brush and some soap). The deal was made some time back in June. When the package didn't arrive after 30 days, I emailed Larry explaining the problem and and without any question immediately offered to send another set as replacement.

Today I heard an announcement from the mail guy and learned that there was some mixed up in the mail room (apparently there were no name on the packages) and to cut the story short, I managed to get both packages. I emailed Larry telling him that I prefer to keep both packages and he was kind enough to even offer reduction in price for the trouble...and for that, I wanna give a big shout out to Larry for being such a great guy. I highly recommend (as others did) for anyone to deal with him. Great razors too. Thanks for making my first straight razor deal a good one.

Had my first shave just now and it was a great experience too! Looking forward to learn more from the guys over here in the arts of shaving. :)

proxy.php

The no name on the package... that one embarrassed me more than just a little! But, glad it worked out.

Thanks for the good press, Pesa!

Larry is a great guy. He had a give away for one of his Badger Brushes on twitter a while ago and I was lucky enough to recieve one, and I have to say that I have been very impressed with the quality of that brush.

Not to mention how much Larry always goes above and beyond by sending really useful instructions on use and care of his products.

Hello guys today I received my first straight from Larry (of which I will upload photos in a short period of time) and the blade was covered in some substance which look like oil, should I clean it or does it serve a greater purpose?

BTW this is my first post:thumbup:

Hello guys today I received my first straight from Larry (of which I will upload photos in a short period of time) and the blade was covered in some substance which look like oil, should I clean it or does it serve a greater purpose?

BTW this is my first post:thumbup:

Welcome!!! Larry sends out the blade with Vaseline on the blade to keep it from rusting in transport. He also normally strops the blade first. Take a piece of tissue and wipe the oil (Vaseline) off carefully going parallel to the edge and spine. If you need to, wipe off from spine to edge. No stropping should be necessary the first shave!!! Have fun

Yes, that is a thin coat of Vaseline. I don't remove it before shaving, but it does no harm to wipe it off. Lather contains lubricants, lubricants are placed in strips on commercial blades in order to improve the shave experience. I used to wipe it off, but then started to wonder why?

Either way...

Top Bottom