What's new

Whipped Dog

I haven't used the 22mm knot, but here's a pic of a Rudy Vey Chubby handle with a 24mm Whipped Dog silvertip knot (man, Rudy does nice work ;-):

proxy.php

The handle was one of the ones he had as surplus in the Vendor Corner and I set the knot myself. I've used this brush maybe 7 or 8 times; the picture should also give you an idea as to how much the knot will bloom.

The handle is about 44mm high and approximately 36mm wide near the top. The knot is 24/65, set at about 47-48mm to get a little firmer feel. I'm a bowl latherer, but this brush should be firm enough to face lather.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Are you limited by a shelf in that handle? If so, wait until the knot comes in and dry fit it to get a rough idea what the brush will feel like. 48 mm sounds about right for my tastes, but the wonderful thing about fitting a knot into a vintage handle is you can get a custom fit that appeals to you. Well that and the way cool vintage handle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic byscott, that's a good looking brush.

Mike, the inside of handle is open to where the black and butterscotch meet so I can go pretty deep with the knot. I will play around with the depth and if the fit is tight enough I will try lathering with it before setting the knot. Thanks for the feedback everybody.

I have a 22mm Whipped Dog Silvertip knot headed my way for this 53mm tall black/butterscotch handle. I only face lather with soap so with that in mind, what would you guys who have owned this exact knot set the loft at? I don't want the breach to open up a whole bunch when lathering. I was thinking 44mm would be the lowest, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Really like that handle. I agree with other guys- 46-48mm. But I would see where the knot rests on the existing handle shelf and go from there. I have one brush with a 44mm loft and it barely opens. 46-48mm is my sweet spot. Of course, as with anything else, YMMV.

I have a 22mm Whipped Dog silver tip set at 50mm and I would say it splays almost too much on my face. If I had to do it over again I would set it closer to 45mm and give it some backbone. I think either way you will be terribly happy with that knot, I love mine.

I also think that what Wim said is a good suggestion in keeping the Berkely in mind.

I have a 22mm Whipped Dog silver tip set at 50mm and I would say it splays almost too much on my face. If I had to do it over again I would set it closer to 45mm and give it some backbone. I think either way you will be terribly happy with that knot, I love mine.

I also think that what Wim said is a good suggestion in keeping the Berkely in mind.

That's what I want to avoid with this brush. I have a TGN 20mm Grade A that's set at 49mm and while it's super soft it will splay if I push too hard while building lather on my face. Looks like 45-46mm may be the sweet spot for me.

The 22mm silvertip knot from Whipped Dog arrived and I decided to set the loft at 46mm. Here's a pic of the brush after a quick washing with shampoo. Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• $38498646.jpg
    $38498646.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 194
Nice job on both setting the knot and cleaning up the handle. Great looking brush!

Thanks Larry. I find the cleaning up of an old handle and getting the knot set to be more fun than actually using the brush. I didn't really need another brush but I enjoyed the time spent working on it. I'll be listing the brush for sale and use that money towards another project. I didn't realize there was a brush restoration disorder.

Last edited:

+1 I have mine at 49mm and the next one will be set lower

I have a 22mm Whipped Dog Silvertip knot headed my way for this 53mm tall black/butterscotch handle.
attachment.php

Great job on the restore looks good... just a quick question regarding your handle is it a McNESS as i recieved one i won on ebay the other day and it looks identical to yours....

I have four handles for restoration on the the way and looking to use silver tip knots on these. Wanted to get some feed back on both the TGN & WD knots. Any pros and cons for either one?

I have and love an Omega Pro 49, but I've always felt that the handle leaves something to be desired. Recently ordered a whipped dog brush for the SO, and couldn't believe how nice the resin handles that Larry sells are.

So here's the question, do you think that the Pro 49 knot would fit into the 30mm resin handle? I figure there's a chance because of the 'cup,' but I don't really want to split my brush open and order a handle only to be disappointed, and I'm worried the knot won't fill the space at the top of the opening.

Top Bottom