What's new

Whipped Dog Synthetic - Knot Size Recommendations?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Never had a synth before. I like to bowl lather hard soaps. Anyone have a recommendation for a WD Synth knot size, and whether I should get the extra drilling?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I like backbone insofar as I like to be able to get a substantial amount of soap off the puck. However, I don't like scritchy brushes. Sounds like a 24mm would be best. Thanks all!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
WD Synth sink the knot 13mm instead of the standard 10. And then as to size, I think either a 22 or a 24mm will be perfect. Suggestions?

WD Synth sink the knot 13mm instead of the standard 10. And then as to size, I think either a 22 or a 24mm will be perfect. Suggestions?

My experience with synthetic knots is that they do not splay naturally. The shorter the loft, the more difficult it will be to get the brush to open up. The WD is the best of the bunch, so good that at time I forget that I am using a synthetic. My 24mm is set at 52. At that loft there is a very good balance between density, backbone and splay. While I have never tried it with the WD, I would be concerned that the lower loft the brush will not open up. Good Luck

I will also say do not sink the loft any more. The brush will not splay easy. I actually have a whipped dog synth at 22mm sunk an additional 5mm and the 24mm at the standard loft and the 24mm definitely has plenty of backbone with a much better splay. Also Larry at whipped dog does not recommend sinking the loft for the synthetic knots.

I just received my 24 mm WD Synthetic brush (Standard loft) with a butterscotch handle today. I am going to use it tomorrow and report in. So far I really like my Stirling Synthetic and I am so so with the Asylum Scanlon brush from Bullgoose. The Scanlon brush is a great bowl lathering brush and good for painting on the lather. It does not like to splay for face lathering.
All my other 24 brushes are mostly nice high end badger brushes and a few nice Semogue boars.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
My experience with synthetic knots is that they do not splay naturally. The shorter the loft, the more difficult it will be to get the brush to open up. The WD is the best of the bunch, so good that at time I forget that I am using a synthetic. My 24mm is set at 52. At that loft there is a very good balance between density, backbone and splay. While I have never tried it with the WD, I would be concerned that the lower loft the brush will not open up. Good Luck

I will also say do not sink the loft any more. The brush will not splay easy. I actually have a whipped dog synth at 22mm sunk an additional 5mm and the 24mm at the standard loft and the 24mm definitely has plenty of backbone with a much better splay. Also Larry at whipped dog does not recommend sinking the loft for the synthetic knots.

I just received my 24 mm WD Synthetic brush (Standard loft) with a butterscotch handle today. I am going to use it tomorrow and report in. So far I really like my Stirling Synthetic and I am so so with the Asylum Scanlon brush from Bullgoose. The Scanlon brush is a great bowl lathering brush and good for painting on the lather. It does not like to splay for face lathering.
All my other 24 brushes are mostly nice high end badger brushes and a few nice Semogue boars.

This is why I love this forum... I am going to go with a 24 no sink I guess!

Please do let us know how it performs. I've been holding off getting a WD and plan on getting a 30mm. To sink or not to sink.

Well, I shaved with the 24 mm standard loft synthetic WD brush and i must say it is very nice. Much better at face lathering than my Asylum Brush Scanlon model. The knot on this brush has soft tips, decent backbone, splays well and makes a very nice lather. Good flow through. 15 seconds of swirling on my Razorock Don Marco soap and I had plenty of lather for a three pass shave. It is well worth the $22 but it is not as nice as the Stirling synthetic brush for about the same money.
Overall I still prefer my high end badger brushes to the synthetics, but they are getting very close in performance to the brushes that cost 5 to 10 times more.

My philosophy is go big or go home. I bought a 30mm synth from Larry a few weeks ago and I love it. For me personally, if I load enough product and get the water ratio correct, it splays just fine. I noticed last night when I used Cella that it didn't splay as easily as it had been, but this thing is really a wild animal that you have to tame, so it could just be me getting everything correct. I also prefer to cold-water shave but once I got the 30mm beast brush, it wouldn't splay with the cold water either. I feel like even though it is a synthetic it still needs hot water for the bristles to relax a little bit and splay. But it could just be me.

I purchased the 30 sunk all the way and it is super dense and tons of backbone. It takes a bit to make it splay and the short loft makes it a touch too dense but it is an awesome brush. I just ordered the 24 standard loft and can't wait to give it a go.

Really liking Synths these days. The Stirling is a bit loose for me, my Muhle 26 is great but overpriced. I think Laryy nailed it and he is an awesome guy to deal with as well. Nothing against Badger, Boar, Etc but Synths are gaining ground quick...

Top Bottom