What's new

Whipped Dog Synthetic brush a great deal.

The standard loft should be about 54mm to 55mm.

Larry got back to me and said it usually is about a 57mm loft. He offered to exchange it. I'm not sure what I want to do. Are you saying you have 4 WD synthetic knots? Any of them 24mm knot? What is the loft on yours?

Larry got back to me and said it usually is about a 57mm loft. He offered to exchange it. I'm not sure what I want to do. Are you saying you have 4 WD synthetic knots? Any of them 24mm knot? What is the loft on yours?

Yes I have 4 WD synthetic knots. All of them 24mm. Mine are all 55mm loft. I got them before they went out of stock for a little bit about a couple of months ago. When he restocked the knots he said the newest ones had slightly more loft. The standard loft is put in a 10mm drilled handle. So my knots had 65mm loft knots and when installed 55mm loft. Now the new knots are a 67mm loft or so and 57mm when installed. I have done a lot of experimenting with lofts from 56mm which was the most I could get from my knot all the way down to 50mm. After 54mm or so there is not much difference. The knot is pretty much open as much as it can. 53mm add some backbone if you want. 50mm was too stiff for me but a couple like it.

Yes I have 4 WD synthetic knots. All of them 24mm. Mine are all 55mm loft. I got them before they went out of stock for a little bit about a couple of months ago. When he restocked the knots he said the newest ones had slightly more loft. The standard loft is put in a 10mm drilled handle. So my knots had 65mm loft knots and when installed 55mm loft. Now the new knots are a 67mm loft or so and 57mm when installed. I have done a lot of experimenting with lofts from 56mm which was the most I could get from my knot all the way down to 50mm. After 54mm or so there is not much difference. The knot is pretty much open as much as it can. 53mm add some backbone if you want. 50mm was too stiff for me but a couple like it.

So you don't think I will see much difference between my 54mm knot and a 57mm knot?

So you don't think I will see much difference between my 54mm knot and a 57mm knot?

The 57mm would have slightly less backbone but unless using side by side would be hard to tell. Do you have any complaints with the 54mm? If it's too much backbone then swap it. If not then keep it. They will be very similar.

The 57mm would have slightly less backbone but unless using side by side would be hard to tell. Do you have any complaints with the 54mm? If it's too much backbone then swap it. If not then keep it. They will be very similar.

I think I will keep it. I was happy with it until some guys on another thread were saying it should have a 57mm loft. I guess the newer ones have a 57mm. Seeing how you and Eeyore say it's just fine I will keep it.

I think I will keep it. I was happy with it until some guys on another thread were saying it should have a 57mm loft. I guess the newer ones have a 57mm. Seeing how you and Eeyore say it's just fine I will keep it.
I often wish that my WD had just a bit more backbone; my Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre L offers a perfect combination between splay and backbone. So if I would offer another WD 24mm, I would ask for the knot to be set slightly deeper as well.

I got a couple of 30mm knots in the post today - I have a little learning curve now to use this given the massive backbone it has in comparison to my L'Occitane and Sterling synthetics. Should be interesting to see with the density of fibers in the knot how much maintenance it might need. Hopefully it won't hold onto soap residues. This thing would be killer on a hard soap that's for sure. I found a little extra water helps with performance (splay and load qualities). I think maybe a few uses will see it splay a bit more as well.

Last edited:
This may sound crazy for pointing this out but my WD brush came in packed in a Styrofoam wrap and taped. The brush bristles were flatten so they were oval shaped instead of round. I mean if you look at the bristles down from the top it looks oval.
I know this is no big deal but I wet it about 5 times and it is still oval shaped. I have OCD pretty bad and it is driving me nuts.
Is anyone else brush like this?

Yeah mine were a little like that but I'm sure with some use, it should break out nicely I think

I have a 22mm WD silvertip, with the brush handle drilled an extra 10mm, so a 45 loft. I like a short loft and this brush is nice. I will have to try one of his synthetics next.

Greg W.

They are great brushes and with the prices as low as they are it makes it even better. The handles aren't fancy but they are made from good solid plastic. They certainly do the job. Anyone thinking about buying one, just get it. At the price you can't go wrong.

$WD_La Toja.jpg

I just received mine. Big upgrade from the vdh. It's soft as silk and built a great lather. I also ordered a poor man's flawed strop because of his excellent service. I'm now a big fan of Larry. He's just an all around great guy.

Last edited:
Been wanting to get a WD. Just waiting for the 30mm synths to get restocked, then probably have it set a little bit low on the handle.

Top Bottom