What's new

Whipped Dog Silvertip

So, I've been looking to move from a synthetic brush to something a little nicer. I'd love to move to a silvertip, I tested one at the local AoS store and it feels fantastic. I've done some research and have found Whipped Dog to be the cheapest by far, and they seem pretty well recommended around here. So here's my question:

How does a WD Silvertip compare in general to other Silvertips that are twice their price or a bit more? (I'm not interested in comparison to $100+ brushes, but to the ones that are sub $100)

I'm excited to be able to get a great brush at a crazy good price, but only if the brush is worth picking up.

Thanks in advance guys!

-Smoosh

Last edited:
I have 2 WhippedDog silvertips, 1 FranksShaving. and 1 Parker. I bought the second WD for a good reason, better value for the buck.

Although I haven't yet bought one of his brushes, I've bought a couple of straight razors from Larry, and he is a pleasure to do business with. Exceptional customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Whipped Dog. Good luck!

I own three Whipped Dog Silvertips. They are terrific brushes. I don't own a $70 brush, but I suspect the difference would involve density.

Ah, I bet density is a possible piece of it. I have been trying to figure out what the difference would be since everyone seems to love his brushes that try them. For 31 dollars (I want a deeper drill) it's hard to not just go ahead and pull the trigger regardless.

I love mine and am happy with the density. It's not like the Escali I bought early on. It came with a definite bald spot in the middle. I will eventually buy an expensive brush, to see...but for now I am very happy.

Big Jim, that's exciting to know. I do think I'm going to pull the trigger in the near future on one, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to buy this brush, regret it and then go right back out to buy another.

Bought one in early July and just ordered another. You're not going to find Silvertip any cheaper.

I ordered a 24mm knot set to 45mm deep in the standard resin handle. Didn't like it at first, but I started face lathering more and it's just fantastic.

I have no idea what the density of other brushes is, but mine is really dense set to that loft, which is why I ordered another one (20mm at the same loft with the same handle).

I think at higher lofts, anything much over 50mm, it can be floppy, but that might just be Silvertip and not his particular lofts. I dunno.

The handles are a little cheap looking compared to others, but they do the job just fine and at least they aren't plastic.

Also, the customer service is some of the best I've experienced ever. Quick e-mail communication and fast shipping. I placed an order on a Friday and got it on Monday.

What synthetic do you have?

I have an Omega that was handed down to me from a friend. I'm not sure the exact model number, but it's a nice brush, just not silvertip nice. It does build a pretty decent lather, but it's a little scratchy on the face and I find myself adding a decent amount of water by hand when bowl building my lather.

I'm very grateful for the great things I was given, however, at 31 dollars, I see no reason not to upgrade if it makes a significant difference and it's a good product.

Oh your obligatory brush/lather shots:

You can see with the density of the brush and the Silvertip hairs, it absorbs a lot of water and lather. So I didn't like it at first for lathering in a bowl, all the later was stuck in the knot! But with face lathering, it works well, because it holds enough for 3+ passes.

Make sure you get the loft you want. I like a shorter loft. Also, for a few extra bucks you can get a Firehouse pottery handle.

This brush is a 20mm knot and a 45mm loft. It's still a little wet from this morning.

$photo-33.jpg

$photo-32.jpg

My WD was bought in ignorance of the option to drill the knot deeper. It was my first good brush. I have some Simpsons in a best and some TGN finest knots.
WD holds its own. It's not my favorite but it is close, and it might be closer with a shorter loft. As it is, it handles soaps of any degree of hardness, , but I'd call it a pretty much perfect brush for bowl lathering creams. With a slightly bigger handle it would be, anyway.

Mine is not nearly as pretty as that Firehouse Pottery handle! Still, the basic chocolate brown resin handle is fine with me.

So, I've been looking to move from a synthetic brush to something a little nicer. I'd love to move to a silvertip, I tested one at the local AoS store and it feels fantastic. I've done some research and have found Whipped Dog to be the cheapest by far, and they seem pretty well recommended around here. So here's my question:

How does a WD Silvertip compare in general to other Silvertips that are twice their price or a bit more? (I'm not interested in comparison to $100+ brushes, but to the ones that are sub $100)

I'm excited to be able to get a great brush at a crazy good price, but only if the brush is worth picking up.

Thanks in advance guys!

-Smoosh
I am sold! I have been looking for something new for the den I have plenty of razors and really only use my feather with a OC baseplate. My other brushes are cheap but they do work, I am wondering if I got a better brush ill get a better shave?

I am sold! I have been looking for something new for the den I have plenty of razors and really only use my feather with a OC baseplate. My other brushes are cheap but they do work, I am wondering if I got a better brush ill get a better shave?
If you get a better lather that will definitely help you get a better shave. To some extent a better brush ought to help with that. After that extent a "better" brush is one you like to apply to your face more, I think.

Top Bottom