water will damage human hair.
This will also make the hair more
scratchy. I have gotten many
brushes to stop shedding simply
by using them in cooler water for
a few cycles.

NEVER press down when
lathering. This can cause hairs to
tangle or break. Always rinse the brush in cold water and try to get all the soap
out. This helps lock in moisture
and prevent breakage
Every few uses, wash the brush
with conditioner. This will help
keep the brush hair pliable and
make it less likely to break.

Copied from the site.

NEVER immerse the brush
handle in water. This will loosen
the bond between the hair and
the glue plug.

NEVER use hot water. This
damages the hairs, just as hot
water will damage human hair.
This will also make the hair more
scratchy. I have gotten many
brushes to stop shedding simply
by using them in cooler water for
a few cycles.

NEVER press down when
lathering. This can cause hairs to
tangle or break. Always rinse the brush in cold water and try to get all the soap
out. This helps lock in moisture
and prevent breakage
Every few uses, wash the brush
with conditioner. This will help
keep the brush hair pliable and
make it less likely to break.

Copied from the site.
Admitted hair abuser here. I shower in the hottest water I can stand, and still have a full head of thick hat at 47. Knocking wood lol.
I also run the faucet hot as I can get it to soak my brush in my scuttle pre shower.
I've only ever had one shedder, an AOS travel brush that shedded out of the box...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You must be in the Philippines. That's how PhilPost ship mail inter-island. A letter from Manila to Cebu takes two to three months, if the currents are in your favour.
Not much better in the US lately my friend!

I sometimes soak my boar and Badger brushes in water all day if I am busy. Been doing that for years. None of by brushes shed or have any other issues and I have over 50 of them. I generally soak them in warm/hot water for at least 30 minutes.

I try not to soak the handles, but sometimes they are immersed a bit.

To each their own, but my brushes don’t contain any electronic components nor will they rust. 😜

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thanks, everyone.

As Larry hasn’t written back and the on-site warnings @Walleyeb and I found on the website are probably what he printed on the label, I’ll treat it like a regular too-good-for-me brush and use accordingly.

I've heard like two different metals in contact create corrosion, badger hair and human hair can react. This is why you should only lather after shaving to preserve the brush.
Canine and badger are close enough, so you can lather your dogs feet.
That last part is a reference to these awful new full body deodorant commercials lol.

Seriously though, you should never wet a brush, let it touch soap, or oxygen if you want it to last at least 5 or 6 millennium. That's why I keep all of mine hermetically sealed in an asbestos lined lead container.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard like two different metals in contact create corrosion, badger hair and human hair can react. This is why you should only lather after shaving to preserve the brush.
Canine and badger are close enough, so you can lather your dogs feet.
That last part is a reference to these awful new full body deodorant commercials lol.

Seriously though, you should never wet a brush, let it touch soap, or oxygen if you want it to last at least 5 or 6 millennium. That's why I keep all of mine hermetically sealed in an asbestos lined lead container.
You don’t own a shaving brush humidor? That’s where my brushes live. Temperature and humidity controlled, of course.

I lovingly gaze upon my brushes from a safe distance before I hand lather with Gillette Foamy.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I sometimes soak my boar and Badger brushes in water all day if I am busy. Been doing that for years. None of by brushes shed or have any other issues and I have over 50 of them. I generally soak them in warm/hot water for at least 30 minutes.

I try not to soak the handles, but sometimes they are immersed a bit.

To each their own, but my brushes don’t contain any electronic components nor will they rust. 😜
My Barber does the same thing, his brush sits in water all day. He's been doing that for at least 30 years.

You don’t own a shaving brush humidor? That’s where my brushes live. Temperature and humidity controlled, of course.

I lovingly gaze upon my brushes from a safe distance before I hand lather with Gillette Foamy.
Is this what your humidor looks like?

Top Bottom