What's new

Which way is correct or are they both right

In the first, you say that you're not putting any pressure on the edge. In the second, you say that you're using no pressure and seem to be getting a sound and a much sharper shaving edge. So what's the difference between not putting any pressure on the edge and using no pressure? Either way, the gesture seems pretty similar on the video. In any case, if a sound and a sharper shaving edge are the goal for you, then that would appear to be the preferable one.

I think the difference is that the strop is tighter the second way.

I tend to pull the strop very tightly
and strop the razor very lightly.

No pressure on the edge is key.
Holding the strop tight is good but you should have a little flex in it as the spine runs across it. maybe as much as 1/2 to 1 inch. In the direction of coming back, bringing the razor from far to close, the leather should be flat from your strop holding hand to the spine of the razor. Then the leather should wrap around the spine of the razor (a tiny bit). This is why you need the flex of the leather. From the spine to the top of the strop it should be flat. This keeps the edge on a flat section of leather at all times. Any time that you're putting pressure on the edge you are pushing down on the leather and causing the leather to wrap around the edge. The smallest amount of this is wrong as it will push the edge to one side microscopically.

I know trying to explain this is hard and trying to understand what I'm saying is even harder. I'm a truck driver, not a word person. LOL. From what I could see it looked good either way, but what is best is if you are gaining. Getting more keenness on your edge means it's working.
Remember that fast is not important. You could be going at half the speed you are doing in this vid and you would be more certain of what is happening. Keep it up if it's working for you.

Reactions: JPO
I know trying to explain this is hard and trying to understand what I'm saying is even harder.
Like this in Figure 2? Maybe not that much deflection, but the visual is helpful.
Screenshot_20221007-204906_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom