What's new

Which Vintage Razor?

Hi all, I'm considering getting a vintage razor, as much for sentiment as anything and have looking on ebay. Help me with which razor to purchase.

These are what I'm considering:

1) Fatboy
I could purchase a birth year Fatboy, but the prices on ebay seem to be >$50, and that is really more than I want to spend on a vintage razor. The Fatboy does seem to be very well regarded by B&B members.

2) Slim
My main con with a Slim is that I can't get a birth year Slim. It would be in my childhood era. They seem to be more affordable than the Fatboys.

3) Shick Krona
This is what I remember my father using, and that has great sentimental value to me. They seem to be very well thought of by B&B members and are generally priced within the range I want to pay on ebay.

Maybe what I need to do is go looking at antique malls, and pick up something there. The prices might be much better than ebay.

Let me know what you thing I should get.

Thanks

Hi all, I'm considering getting a vintage razor, as much for sentiment as anything and have looking on ebay. Help me with which razor to purchase.

These are what I'm considering:

1) Fatboy
I could purchase a birth year Fatboy, but the prices on ebay seem to be >$50, and that is really more than I want to spend on a vintage razor. The Fatboy does seem to be very well regarded by B&B members.

2) Slim
My main con with a Slim is that I can't get a birth year Slim. It would be in my childhood era. They seem to be more affordable than the Fatboys.

3) Shick Krona
This is what I remember my father using, and that has great sentimental value to me. They seem to be very well thought of by B&B members and are generally priced within the range I want to pay on ebay.

Maybe what I need to do is go looking at antique malls, and pick up something there. The prices might be much better than ebay.

Let me know what you thing I should get.

Thanks

You don’t have to choose between the Krona and the adjustable since they are very affordable.

I would suggest a first generation Krona with chrome metal tto knob and no script on the cap doors.

Schick Krona

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I’d get them all. :001_302:. I have all the razors that you have mentioned and I would start with the Schick Krona. That is what I started with out of the three that you have mentioned and then work my up to the Fatboy. I would get the Krona and then scour the antique malls and shops in the meantime. You can have fun searching for shaving gear in the wild. Just my $0.02 worth. Also you never know what pops up on the BST as well.

I’d get them all. :001_302:. I have all the razors that you have mentioned and I would start with the Schick Krona. That is what I started with out of the three that you have mentioned and then work my up to the Fatboy. I would get the Krona and then scour the antique malls and shops in the meantime. You can have fun searching for shaving gear in the wild. Just my $0.02 worth. Also you never know what pops up on the BST as well.

Knew "buy them all" would be the default B&B answer. Going to start out with one, I'm in the shave puchase sabbatical and a vintage is my exception.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I really enjoy my Gillette Tech from 1962. It is fast and close. Great when you are in a hurry.

I'm a fan of the Fatboy, but if price is an issue get a Slim. It's almost the same razor, if you like it then find yourself a nice birth year Fatty. I would get a Super Speed over a Krona, because I prefer shorter handles, but that's me. You could Super Speed for your birth year.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you already have a modern DE razor.
I'd go with a Slim, but only because I've not tried a Krona.

As far as I can tell, "Fat Boys" are most noted for their memorable nickname and being Gillette's first adjustable, which makes them more desirable for collectors.

British-made Gillette TTOs tend to be better-made than their North American equivalents, I count my British Aristocrat Junior as one of my better razors, and it was only CAD$6 from a flea market.

Probably. You get to inspect it and not depend on photos, you don't pay for shipping, and it's more fun that way.

It sounds like you really really want a birth year fatboy.

The Krona's are really great razors. But if you decide to get one, you're still going to really really want a birth year fatboy. That's how RAD works.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you already have a modern DE razor.
I'd go with a Slim, but only because I've not tried a Krona.

As far as I can tell, "Fat Boys" are most noted for their memorable nickname and being Gillette's first adjustable, which makes them more desirable for collectors.

British-made Gillette TTOs tend to be better-made than their North American equivalents, I count my British Aristocrat Junior as one of my better razors, and it was only CAD$6 from a flea market.

I've got a Rockwell 6S, Feather Popular, a Razorock branded Balti TTO (I don't like), Qshave Future clone, and EJ D98. I have owned a Yaqi DOC and a Yaqi version of a Maggards V3A.

I thought adding a TTO would be a nice addition.

It sounds like you really really want a birth year fatboy.

The Krona's are really great razors. But if you decide to get one, you're still going to really really want a birth year fatboy. That's how RAD works.

Yes, I think I will ultimately want a Fatboy birth year, but I'm sure I'll want a Krona because that is the razor I remember my father using.

Ultimately I'll own both.

Of the three, I would pick the Fatboy first.

I’ve shaved with all three. The Fatboy and Slim were very similar, excellent shaves. I just prefer the beefier handle. The Krona was a fine shave. It felt like a 70s Super Speed to me in terms of performance.

I’m also in the Get All Three category. [emoji3]

Let’s do this:

If you’re good with a silver knob Krona, no branding on the doors, focus on your Fatboy and I’ll PIF you my Krona.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I would also try a Gillette New LC and/or New SC. Very few razors, vintage or modern, provide a more simple, mindless, yet efficient shave than the New. You can find them on EBay all day long for $15-$25. I found a New SC about a year ago at an estate sale for a $1. I hit it with some toothpaste and elbow grease for about an hour and that 80+ year old razor looks almost brand new and still works perfectly.

I would also try a Gillette New LC and/or New SC. Very few razors, vintage or modern, provide a more simple, mindless, yet efficient shave than the New. You can find them on EBay all day long for $15-$25. I found a New SC about a year ago at an estate sale for a $1. I hit it with some toothpaste and elbow grease for about an hour and that 80+ year old razor looks almost brand new and still works perfectly.

It is amazing how those old brass razors clean up. I've allowed mine to tarnish a bit now.

Top Bottom