What's new

Which vintage Gillette DE is the best and rarest of those???

Of those razors, I like the Tech best, too, especially if it is for edging a beard. The Tech head is thin and uncomplicated.

I don't really like ball-end Techs as much as the fat handle versions, but that's just my opinion. All the Techs are really good razors, and they don't cost much, either.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Pre war Techs are excellent. I get my closest, most comfortable shaves with a UK aluminium Tech from the 70s. That said, because it's so easy to load and use I use a Superspeed more than any of my other Gillettes.

An aristocrat, slim, Fatboy all for the same money?

just beware that price range could give you a lousy aristocrat, Fatboy versus an excellent slim

I am very happy with my super adjustable aka black beauty.

lots of people like the tech (still want a m4 date code one birth year q4) so I would advice that one unless you want adjustable, get a slim or super adjustable. If you don’t like it easy to get rid of.

want it as an investment search for a toggle, mint gold aristocrat or hybrid tech.

those with beards can probably tell you if it is not easier with a shavette or open comb gilette instead.

An aristocrat, slim, Fatboy all for the same money?

just beware that price range could give you a lousy aristocrat, Fatboy versus an excellent slim

I am very happy with my super adjustable aka black beauty.

lots of people like the tech (still want a m4 date code one birth year q4) so I would advice that one unless you want adjustable, get a slim or super adjustable. If you don’t like it easy to get rid of.

want it as an investment search for a toggle, mint gold aristocrat or hybrid tech.

those with beards can probably tell you if it is not easier with a shavette or open comb gilette instead.

Most of the ones i posted are around the same price maybe some are 20-30$ more they all cost between 50-80$, they look to be in good condition in the photos but i’m no expert so idk also some are on auction. How much do they usually go for Slim, Aristocrat, tech and such max price to spend on them?

I think the Tech one is a 1946-1950. It looks like this one it’s post-war i think so those are not worth to buy and has good has the pre-war ones?

I know that the Tech head is thinner then the other ones but is the head of a Slim, Aristocrat, SuperSpeed really that big? I can’t seem to find a Tech with Slim next to each other

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oN09HcE6...WFsOOOj7wmwOg8ZeJu8s6jSIACLcB/s1600/Techs.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BRBo7KzH...qIgRupDk8wTRQCPcBGAYYCw/s1600/Adjustables.jpg

Wow the Toggle looks beautiful, i have seen two of them one for 320$ with no case and has some brownish spots and one for 1800$ (***!!! :ohmy:) with the case and looks like brand new.

I have looked at some shavettes or straight razors, and watched some videos aswell they kinda look hard "dangerous" to use so i don’t know if it’s a good idea to get one, DE razors look safer and more user friendly compare to those. Don’t wanna end up with multiple cuts and such :biggrin1:

I'm kinda tired of writing :"there's no best", so I am going to start answering these questions with what I think is best:

Slim and Tech are the best from that list, in that order. What's the best Gillette razor? Super Adjustable 83mm (short handle). There. :)

Most of the ones i posted are around the same price maybe some are 20-30$ more they all cost between 50-80$, they look to be in good condition in the photos but i’m no expert so idk also some are on auction. How much do they usually go for Slim, Aristocrat, tech and such max price to spend on them?

I think the Tech one is a 1946-1950. It looks like this one it’s post-war i think so those are not worth to buy and has good has the pre-war ones?

I know that the Tech head is thinner then the other ones but is the head of a Slim, Aristocrat, SuperSpeed really that big? I can’t seem to find a Tech with Slim next to each other

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oN09HcE6...WFsOOOj7wmwOg8ZeJu8s6jSIACLcB/s1600/Techs.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BRBo7KzH...qIgRupDk8wTRQCPcBGAYYCw/s1600/Adjustables.jpg

Wow the Toggle looks beautiful, i have seen two of them one for 320$ with no case and has some brownish spots and one for 1800$ (***!!! :ohmy:) with the case and looks like brand new.

I have looked at some shavettes or straight razors, and watched some videos aswell they kinda look hard "dangerous" to use so i don’t know if it’s a good idea to get one, DE razors look safer and more user friendly compare to those. Don’t wanna end up with multiple cuts and such :biggrin1:

I would say any Tech before the 60's is a great place to start (they are still good after the 60's but use cheaper materials).

You can find a Tech any day for $20 or less - that's the ball park I've paid for most of mine including a box or case.

Personally I prefer the prewar Fat Handle but the post war are very good too and not even sure its not all in my mind. To me the prewar are more efficient but still as smooth on the first pass but its minimal.

I just sold a Slim for $30. I think I paid $28 for it. You can definitely pay more if you get a nicer one with a case, but mine was in pretty good shape.

Yes a Slim head is bigger but I've never had any problem with any of the SS/Slim/Ranger/Milord style heads.

I have no experience with the Aristocrat.

R

romsitsa

Hello, basically all safety bar Gillettes are the same. There are smaller differences, but nothing ground breaking.
To get a general feel, I’d say get a 40ies Superspeed as this is the best value for money Gillette with a bar.
From your list none is really “rare”. Maybe a Slim Aristocrat in mint condition is the hardest to come by. But it’s just a regular Slim with a thin coat of gold, so not really worth the price difference, imho.

The listed Slim adjustables are also the same. There is another, rarer, version with a one piece T-bar, I prefer this compared to the “regular” one as it’s a more rigid design (usually in the G-J series). This difference is not valued by the market afaik.

Three piece

One piece

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, basically all safety bar Gillettes are the same. There are smaller differences, but nothing ground breaking.
To get a general feel, I’d say get a 40ies Superspeed as this is the best value for money Gillette with a bar.
From your list none is really “rare”. Maybe a Slim Aristocrat in mint condition is the hardest to come by. But it’s just a regular Slim with a thin coat of gold, so not really worth the price difference, imho.

The listed Slim adjustables are also the same. There is another, rarer, version with a one piece T-bar, I prefer this compared to the “regular” one as it’s a more rigid design (usually in the G-J series). This difference is not valued by the market afaik.

Three piece

One piece

Adam
For me visual they are the same. Can you mark one

Hey, i ended buying a Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty the long handle one i think, it looks to be in good condition on the photos and the description says the butterfly door and the adjustable switch work. Hope this is a good Safety Razor?

I will post photos on this post when i get it, to know how to clean/disinfecting and such.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Hey, i ended buying a Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty the long handle one i think, it looks to be in good condition on the photos and the description says the butterfly door and the adjustable switch work. Hope this is a good Safety Razor?

I will post photos on this post when i get it, to know how to clean/disinfecting and such.
Oh no, if only you had asked for a few more opinions! Seriously, that is a great choice and there are already many, many threads already here explaining how to clean a razor ready for use so why not search for those now? I hope you do not also need help choosing a brush, a blade , and some soap otherwise it could be the end of next year before you actually shave. 🤣 Good luck 👍

I've got several of all of the above (Except Aristocrats). The "Best" or "Favorite" is the one I happen to be holding at the moment. You can't go wrong with any (pre 60's)Tech. I like the ball end handles, but I like the fat handles more; both give excellent shaves. I have several Slims and Black Beauties - they're great, since I can fine tune a shave depending on the particular blade I'm using.

Hello again, idk if i should make another thread about it or not let me know?

So i just received my Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty O4. I thought it was the 109 one but looks like it’s the 84 one not sure which size it is if anyone knows?

It looks to be very clean, but i still need to wash/sanitize it and such right?

Is Dreft dishsoap good? Where i live they don’t sell Dawn. Also does the water need to be boiling water or just hot tap water? It doesn’t gonna screw up the black coating of the handle and such?

I also have Modified Alcohol 70% (Ethanol and Benzalkonium chloride) on hand should i use that aswell? It doesn’t gonna screw up the black coating of the handle and such?

I also noticed that the TTO thing is acting a bit weird (maybe that’s normal idk) and the blade thing are uneven one side is bigger the other side, that should not be the case right? Can i shave with it or not?

Is this fixable or is this a dead useless razor and i should send it back?

Attachments

• A48B664E-B133-4A8A-A3C4-09BD6942F66D.jpeg
    A48B664E-B133-4A8A-A3C4-09BD6942F66D.jpeg
    988.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 192E1ACE-B0FD-49D5-9D57-76F8FFB61863.jpeg
    192E1ACE-B0FD-49D5-9D57-76F8FFB61863.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • EC32762C-3CB3-439D-A8F7-32DBB03FDD59.jpeg
    EC32762C-3CB3-439D-A8F7-32DBB03FDD59.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 1E76B14A-CCBA-4F72-9477-6FCE5C9CCADC.jpeg
    1E76B14A-CCBA-4F72-9477-6FCE5C9CCADC.jpeg
    921.9 KB · Views: 16
  • D3C7F181-BEEB-4BA5-BD2B-B55B0231DEF0.jpeg
    D3C7F181-BEEB-4BA5-BD2B-B55B0231DEF0.jpeg
    960.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 4D3B772A-C4C0-4606-B356-0723506FFAD0.jpeg
    4D3B772A-C4C0-4606-B356-0723506FFAD0.jpeg
    891.6 KB · Views: 15
  • FDEEC70F-9B75-4550-9F79-8981AC3FBF86.jpeg
    FDEEC70F-9B75-4550-9F79-8981AC3FBF86.jpeg
    918.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1EA4D04C-1E93-43AC-9B43-C0C4858E4897.jpeg
    1EA4D04C-1E93-43AC-9B43-C0C4858E4897.jpeg
    830.8 KB · Views: 13
  • CE646F9A-1432-4BCF-B789-3F8E47FFE0E5.jpeg
    CE646F9A-1432-4BCF-B789-3F8E47FFE0E5.jpeg
    927.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 28FEE364-6780-4271-B434-FAD757E747EA.jpeg
    28FEE364-6780-4271-B434-FAD757E747EA.jpeg
    938.7 KB · Views: 14
Hello again, idk if i should make another thread about it or not let me know?

So i just received my Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty O4. I thought it was the 109 one but looks like it’s the 84 one not sure which size it is if anyone knows?

It looks to be very clean, but i still need to wash/sanitize it and such right?

Is Dreft dishsoap good? Where i live they don’t sell Dawn. Also does the water need to be boiling water or just hot tap water? It doesn’t gonna screw up the black coating of the handle and such?

I also have Modified Alcohol 70% (Ethanol and Benzalkonium chloride) on hand should i use that aswell? It doesn’t gonna screw up the black coating of the handle and such?

I also noticed that the TTO thing is acting a bit weird (maybe that’s normal idk) and the blade thing are uneven one side is bigger the other side, that should not be the case right? Can i shave with it or not?

Is this fixable or is this a dead useless razor and i should send it back?

I can’t post videos

Attachments

• B50C0C51-88E5-409B-9B47-63AFAA516385.jpeg
    B50C0C51-88E5-409B-9B47-63AFAA516385.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 258DAD05-1CDB-4F62-ACEE-8CD1CE192408.jpeg
    258DAD05-1CDB-4F62-ACEE-8CD1CE192408.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Here are the videos so you can see the TTO opening and closing and such
That looks like a 109. The doors closing I would not worry too much about. It may help once you clean the razor and oil it. As long as the blade is securely locked down, and the gap between the guards and the blade edge is even, you should be fine.

Just regular washing-up liquid is OK. Use hot water like you are washing dishes. Let the razor soak for awhile, then scrub with an old toothbrush. There are some good threads on B&B that go into details about the cleanup process.

Top Bottom