What's new

Which vintage Gillette DE is the best and rarest of those???

Hello, which one of those is the best and rarest of those?

As for the dates idk how you can know the dates? On ads some says dates but idk if those are the real dates since on the razors it doesn’t says the dates or they don’t mention dates on the ads

But i added the dates they mention or don’t mention on the ads.

Gillette Slim Adjustable Silver USA (N2 or K3 or I1) NO DATE for the N2, NO DATE for the K3 DATE 1963 for the I1

Gillette Red Tip Silver USA DATE 1955

Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable USA Gold (H3) NO DATE

Gillette Aristocrat Gold USA DATE 1946-1950

Gillette Aristocrat Silver England DATE 1955

Gillette Tech Ball End Gold USA NO DATE

Also can anyone tell me what the N2, K3, I1 mean for the Slim and which one would be the best if that changes anything?

N2 is 2nd quarter of 1968

K3 is 3rd quarter of 1965

I1 is 1st quarter of 1963

N2 is 2nd quarter of 1968

K3 is 3rd quarter of 1965

I1 is 1st quarter of 1963

Thank you. Anything different between those Slim’s?

"Best of" questions aren't very useful. If one were best the others wouldn't need to exist.

I agree.

I'm assuming @BeardBat is new to shaving though and I think just looking for advice. Of course, assuming...

If I'm right I would suggest considering one of the SLIM models to get you started. They are adjustable and will allow you to determine if you like what is called around these parts a "mild" or an "aggressive" razor.

For example, it's got positions 1-9 on it.

I prefer "mild" razors and ended up using the 3 or 4 setting most often. Others prefer and love the 9, which is called more "aggressive".

The Tech and the Aristocrat are sort of "mild" razors (I'm a HUGE Tech fan - I own different Tech razors right now), though I've never used an Aristocrat it looks similar to the SS/Ranger models.

The Red Tip would be on the more aggressive side.

It really depends on your hair thickness, skin type, personal preferences - but that's why I'm glad I got a SLIM early on - gave me a chance to try different settings and determine what worked for me. I knew once I tried it on 5 that aggressive razors weren't for me - but YMMV (your mileage may vary) - and many people much prefer a higher setting.

I don't think any of those models are OVERLY rare - of them though I hear less about Aristocrats around here.

Thank you. Anything different between those Slim’s?

That goes outside my knowledge. I don't THINK they made many changes to the Slim line during production but I could be wrong. I had a 1964 model and enjoyed it. I only got rid of it because once I decided what setting I really liked it was very similar to my Ranger Tech and Milord so I sold it to buy new toys!!

Not everyone agrees on the best and the rarest are not necessarily the best, either.

I like the Super Adjustable 84 and the Pre-War Tech, both of those are fairly common.

I agree.

I'm assuming @BeardBat is new to shaving though and I think just looking for advice. Of course, assuming...

The OP already started a 119 response "what is best" thread which gave him a lot of advice mostly boiling down to just pick one which he appears determined to ignore. Just trying to save you all some time.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I agree.

If I'm right I would suggest considering one of the SLIM models to get you started. They are adjustable and will allow you to determine if you like what is called around these parts a "mild" or an "aggressive" razor.

For example, it's got positions 1-9 on it.

I prefer "mild" razors and ended up using the 3 or 4 setting most often. Others prefer and love the 9, which is called more "aggressive".

The Tech and the Aristocrat are sort of "mild" razors (I'm a HUGE Tech fan - I own different Tech razors right now), though I've never used an Aristocrat it looks similar to the SS/Ranger models.

The Red Tip would be on the more aggressive side.

It really depends on your hair thickness, skin type, personal preferences - but that's why I'm glad I got a SLIM early on - gave me a chance to try different settings and determine what worked for me. I knew once I tried it on 5 that aggressive razors weren't for me - but YMMV (your mileage may vary) - and many people much prefer a higher setting.

I don't think any of those models are OVERLY rare - of them though I hear less about Aristocrats around here.

Yeah i’m new to DE never used one before so i don’t really know much about them.

I’d say that my skin is sensitive, when shave with my Gillette Fusion i almost always get some irriation and such. And heard that with a DE i won’t get that.

I’m mostly looking for a razor for beard edging, one that i can keep for years (live maybe?) so no multiple ones.

I was gonna go with a modern DE, but after getting recommendations and reading and such i started to like the vintage Gillette ones a bit more.

The ones i posted seem to be in good condition, and since they pretty much are at the same price i wanted to know if any of those where rare, which one of those would be the better purchase, must have and such

Try 'em all. Not that big of an investment as far as hobbies go. :whistling:

On the Slims, I'd go for the earlier razors.

Haha, maybe later who knows. Or maybe when i get bored of my other hobbies

Ok so the I1 1963 one instead of the K3 1965 and N2 1968?

The OP already started a 119 response "what is best" thread which gave him a lot of advice mostly boiling down to just pick one which he appears determined to ignore. Just trying to save you all some time.

I just read through the thread. I don’t think he’s done anything wrong

He asked a question and got about 100 suggestions and narrowed it down to a handful and asked a few questions about those here

I think sometimes we forget how intimidating it can be to get into this hobby and a lot of the advice seems to conflict from person to person

I know some who harp that a newbie should buy one and stick to it, which is an acceptable approach, but many people also enjoy the “let’s try DE, SE, new, vintage and find what I like”

Both are acceptable options and for those who have been doing this for a while can understand the YMMV concept but few new guys I think sometimes a little more understanding and remembering the intimidation factor is real.

But anyway - I still say a Slim or the Tech

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just read through the thread. I don’t think he’s done anything wrong

He asked a question and got about 100 suggestions and narrowed it down to a handful and asked a few questions about those here

I think sometimes we forget how intimidating it can be to get into this hobby and a lot of the advice seems to conflict from person to person

I know some who harp that a newbie should buy one and stick to it, which is an acceptable approach, but many people also enjoy the “let’s try DE, SE, new, vintage and find what I like”

Both are acceptable options and for those who have been doing this for a while can understand the YMMV concept but few new guys I think sometimes a little more understanding and remembering the intimidation factor is real.

But anyway - I still say a Slim or the Tech
I got an incredible deal on a Fatboy. (Every time I type that I giggle!!!) It was $15, but is kind of boring, after you find your magic number.

The OP posted also posted the "what's the best DE" question *three* times on Reddit, and also posted this exact question too. Not judging ... just stating facts.

I got an incredible deal on a Fatboy. (Every time I type that I giggle!!!) It was $15, but is kind of boring, after you find your magic number.

Wow that’s a good deal

All the ones i posted are over 50-100$ with shipping and such. Don’t know if they are worth that price

Top Bottom