What's new

Which Vintage Gillette Adjustable Razor is the best?

I really appreciate receiving this chart, explaining the preferences of shavers in the late 1950's regarding the Fat Boy!

It could be argued that it is Gillette advertising hype, but even if so, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not true. In my opinion, and I've shaved daily since November 1951 (yes, 1951), the findings are spot on! I love all adjustables, and I shave at a 5 on a Fat Boy, and at a 6 on the Slim and Super Adjustable. Could I shave on higher settings? Sure, as I have a coarse beard. But efficiency is only one-half of the equation. The other one-half is comfort.

I really appreciate receiving this chart, explaining the preferences of shavers in the late 1950's regarding the Fat Boy!

It could be argued that it is Gillette advertising hype, but even if so, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not true. In my opinion, and I've shaved daily since November 1951 (yes, 1951), the findings are spot on! I love all adjustables, and I shave at a 5 on a Fat Boy, and at a 6 on the Slim and Super Adjustable. Could I shave on higher settings? Sure, as I have a coarse beard. But efficiency is only one-half of the equation. The other one-half is comfort.

AND, I would argue this was an internal document. Look at the bottom. It shows Exposure and Shave Angle information at the various setting. This was not for public consumption - I'm pretty darn sure. Could have even been a confidential document with proprietary information.

Of the three types I have (Fatboy, Slim, Black Beauty) I find they all have the lead in one dimension or other:

Overall winner (by a small margin): The Slim
Balance: Slim
Size of head: Slim/BB
Grip: Fatboy
Weight: Fatboy
Looks: All beautiful, but to my surprise I find that the Black Beauty has a certain something/"Je ne sais quois"

In terms of shaving quality and aggressiveness I have to say that to me they are quite alike...

YMMV.

I agree with everything said here except for looks. It sums up my experience with the three types (I also have a long handled black beauty, which falls at the end of my list).

I'll restate my undying love for the Gillette Adjustables: I find them amazingly beautiful, true icons of American industrial design with their simple and durable mechanics. When you are not shaving you can just sit and hold the razor, look at it, enjoy the craftsmanship.
By now I have added even more prized, sought after, and even more beautiful vintage razors to my collection - but the adjustables will forever be at the top of my list!
:a50:

Hi,

Hmmmm. I didn't know that Glenn had more than one ID...... :p

Stan

Hey Stan. I always thought I was understated in speaking about my affection for the adjustables. Kind of like a Brit! But, there are a lot of great razors out there to try and so little time (so little budget too). I just heard of a new stainless steel adjustable from the country of Turkey to be released in America soon. Probably about $300+.

So, I found some new information about the early A-3 Toggle and the NDC 1-5 Position Bottom Dial. I added to it based on what I know about the Gillette Adjustables and shoved it up on my site. The new information confirms that the A-3 was indeed manufactured in 1955; (@TexLaw) took issue pretty strongly that it was made in 1956. Further, the new information talks about what marketing focus groups liked and didn't like about the A-3. So, here Stan (@KQY61) is me saying some negative stuff about an adjustable (the A-3).

A-3-TestMarketing.jpg

So, I found some new information about the early A-3 Toggle and the NDC 1-5 Position Bottom Dial. I added to it based on what I know about the Gillette Adjustables and shoved it up on my site. The new information confirms that the A-3 was indeed manufactured in 1955; (@TexLaw) took issue pretty strongly that it was made in 1956. Further, the new information talks about what marketing focus groups liked and didn't like about the A-3. So, here Stan (@KQY61) is me saying some negative stuff about an adjustable (the A-3).

View attachment 779704
Marty, configure the time circuits for June 17, 1956...

So, I did some statistical analysis which caused me to redo my blade gap chart for the Gillette Adjustables. I also had some errors. Here is the latest info:

BladeGapsGilletteAdjustables20170414-00.jpg
BladeGapsGilletteAdjustables20170414-01.jpg

Love this thread and all the info it provides. The veil was lifted from my eyes into wet shaving about a year ago when I did research trying to find a cheaper than cartridge shave solution. I own 7 three piece razors, 2 slants, 2 open combs and one adjustable (Ming Shi 2000S). After using and getting a fabulous shave from the MS2S razor I'm now starting to look into the vintage Gillette adjustables for use and collection. I was confused by all the different models I hear about and see on forums. I went to wiki for basic info. Nothing really to be found there. This thread provides great education. Thanks for all the research GennConti!!!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Did you also test the long handle Black Beauty? Should I also give it a test?

So, I did some statistical analysis which caused me to redo my blade gap chart for the Gillette Adjustables. I also had some errors. Here is the latest info:
I have had 4 Fatboys and every one of them had a gap of 0.022" on setting 1, which corresponds with the B&B database. Your numbers are significantly lower, about half. I don't understand how they can be so different.

I have had 4 Fatboys and every one of them had a gap of 0.022" on setting 1, which corresponds with the B&B database. Your numbers are significantly lower, about half. I don't understand how they can be so different.

Thanks for your input. I have recently acquired about 2 or 3 more mint Fatboys. I will double check on these. I can't explain why you are getting significantly different results...

So, I have 4 mint Fatboys that I just measured at Position 1.

E2 - .010
E3 - .009
F1 - .012
F1 - .012

All the above measurements are inches.

When I measure, I hold the razor vertically and insert the feeler gauge in at a perpendicular to the handle. I do not force the gauge into position. It has to go between the safety bar and the blade smoothly and easily. I also move the gauge from left to right to the edges of the blade. If there is any binding then I consider the gauge to be too "thick". Possibly we have a difference in our measurement techniques?

Top Bottom