What's new

Which Vintage Gillette Adjustable Razor is the best?

All things considered, which Vintage Gillette adjustable is the best?

The Gillette Slim (set at 6 for me). Comfortable and smooth shaves. The Slim has outstanding balance and feel in the hand.

Very Close 2nd: The Gillette Super Adjustable Short Handle (set at 6 for me)

Close 3rd: The Gillette Fat Boy (set at 5 for me)

Close 4th The Gillette Super Adjustable Long Handle (set at 6 for me)

BTW for reference my hands are medium sized, and my whiskers are fairly tough. I love adjustable razors, and I consider the adjustable razor to be the greatest milestone in the development of safety razor engineering since 1904!

Hi,

I like the way the older ones move the plate, vs the newer ones which move the bars. Of course, I understand why it was changed. Easier to make, so it was Cost Improved. ;)

My problem is that the ones I'd prefer are all way overpriced these days.

Stan

My daughter acquired a '62 Gillette Slim at a garage sale, including a mug and puck of vintage soap, for $5. It has very little wear on it, and with a little cleaning it looks great. I love the shaves I've been getting with it and have been playing around with the settings, but haven't gone past 5 yet.

Weight/Balance/Head design all come into play with adjustables. My D1 Toggle is my favorite Gillette adjustable, fatboy is a close second. Short handle Black Beauty comes in third, then Slim, then long-handled BB.

Tenth shave on a Feather blade in the same D4 Fatboy this morning (yeah, 10th shave on a Feather).
I was distracted by open-comb razors for a couple of years, but I think I might be back.

Tom

I have two Fatboys, two Slims, and one Super adjustable. I love them all, but I seem to get the best shave from my I 2 Slim. It does great with añy blade I put in it.

Hi,

Well, I don't have one of any kind. I added a gold SA to my list for Jan 1st. What I call a John Player Special. Those look cool enough that if it turns out I don't use it, it can just sit there. ;)

Stan

Great research, seems I never stop looking for another vintage razor and every bit of info helps. Can't wait till this snow melts and the yard sales start. Maybe this year I'll find that Toggle or Bottom Dial.
Love my Adjustable's. I have 2 Fatboys, one was my Fathers, a gift from his sons, other bought at thrift shop. Two Slims, One was my first razor, bought new, other was thrift shop find. Three BB's 2 109's other plastic base, one 109 was thrift shop find others bought new. Except for the plastic base BB (adjuster don't work any more, non fixable I'm told) they are all in great shape.
I tend to shave with my fathers razor more often lately. Sometimes I think I see him standing behind me in the mirror, an old memory I guess.

Yes, that could very well be true. But, for me what explains RAD is the search for the perfect shaving tool. If most of it was operator skill, any tool would work just as well; and no need for the RAD. It could be only novice and journeyman shavers have the need to acquire so many razors? If they just waited for their skill to catch up to the shaving tool they had, no need to be on the quest. Or, maybe the razor does make a difference?

Most likely true for the majority but a few like me I just like collecting, I only have 41 razors , except for 4 (gave away many modern ones) all are vintage. Hopefully I'll reach 50 vintage razors.:001_rolle

None of the adjustable razors are good shavers, so don't waste your time and money on those!

So, I did some research for @tonich with the help of @mr-razor - As you can see from this screen shot from my site, between the range of Position "1" and Position "9", the Gillette Adjustable can satisfy 99.7% of consumers (as per Gillette). Sadly, @tonich is one of the 0.3%.

GilletteAdjustableAsUniversalRazor.jpg

Thanks for taking your time, sir! :thumbup1:

As stated above, it's the Gillette marketing according to which some few decades later the Gillette cartridges are the best and most satisfactory shaving solution.
:a29:

Thanks for taking your time, sir! :thumbup1:

As stated above, it's the Gillette marketing according to which some few decades later the Gillette cartridges are the best and most satisfactory shaving solution.
:a29:

Gillette had a winner with the Adjustable Razor/Double Edge Blade combo and their greatest market share (70+%). But, they needed to keep growing the business for shareholders. Hence the need for expensive Proprietary Blades. First, the abortive Techmatic razor and subsequently the cartridge multi-blade razors. More expensive to consumers and cheaper to produce so more profit for shareholder. Gillette had to sell out to Procter & Gamble. As you said, a few decades later, they are losing market share and recently had to resort to discounting as new innovations have not been able to save them from the likes of Dollar Shave Club and Harrys.

But in the 1950s and 1960s, Gillette ruled with the adjustable razor/DE blade combo. If it doesn't work for you, well, as they say - you sir are an outlier. Gillette wanted to satisfy as many people with their product as possible to grab all the market. Prior to the adjustable, it was the Trio of Super-Speed Razors (Red Tip, etc..) to accomplish the same goal.

Last edited:
Final point, (not sure if I made it well) with the adjustable razor and the coated stainless steel DE blade Gillette had solved the problem of wet shaving - period. Cartridges did nothing to solve the problems of shavers or to innovate, again, where do you go from UP! Gillette was at the pinnacle. Cartridges were solely for the shareholder profits; they invested billions in a proprietary technology.

Top Bottom