What's new

Which UFO Handle?

I would like to order a UFO handle to go with an Old Type cap and open-comb baseplate (re-plated in nickel), but I can't decide which one to order. I have a Feather AS-D1 and an iKon OSS. While those handles are very nice, I'd like to get something even larger for the old Gillette.

Any suggestions? Any comparison photos? (I know about the multi-page thread.)

At the moment, I'm thinking that the Kaiser might be too small, and the Zeus is probably too large. Perhaps something in between?

For those of you who have more than one (I know there are a few of you!), which style do you find works best for shaving (as opposed to display)?

Last edited:
Here are some comparison shots:

UFO Titan (similar to the UFO Goliath but more grey and much lighter in weight)
$IMG_3716.jpg

UFO Tornado (Very Shiny, the spirals add plenty of grip but not as much as the others)
$IMG_3717.jpg

UFO Kaiser Short (Deep knurling, similar knurling as the Titan and the Goliath)
$IMG_3718.jpg

This one is not a UFO handle but I threw it into the mix
Griest handle (Brass replated by Krona in nickel) Heavier than the others
$IMG_3719.jpg

Titan, Tornado, Kaiser Short, Griest New
$IMG_3720.jpg

They are all great and would get the job done nicely, it is all aesthetics from here. My personal favorite is the Titan, it is just amazing to have a razor handle made out of Titanium, it looks substantial but shocks me every time I pick it up, it is quite light, great feel in the hand.

accunlmtd (Stealth), Sabi T1, Feather AS-D1, Griest GS1, UFO Titan, UFO Tornado, UFO Kaiser Short, Sabi T1, Weber Wave, Weber Bulldog, BRW Bull Mastiff Flare, BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe, Griest New (Krona Replate)
$IMG_3724.jpg

Erik, thank you! You have an amazing collection of handles! It is very helpful to see them lined up like that.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Goliath XL--a bit longer and thicker than my AS-D1 and OSS.

I just ordered a Godzilla in Red Bronze. In speaking to Juan they are very accomidating to whatever you'd like done to the handle. You can get custom lengths if you want, also you can mix and match parts of the handle for a custom fee. I settled on having the lenght of the XL handle shortend to 90MM. No pictures yet as they havn't made it but I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival!

accunlmtd (Stealth), Sabi T1, Feather AS-D1, Griest GS1, UFO Titan, UFO Tornado, UFO Kaiser Short, Sabi T1, Weber Wave, Weber Bulldog, BRW Bull Mastiff Flare, BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe, Griest New (Krona Replate)
View attachment 315606

Erik, great collection! Thanks for the comparison photos. The UFO Kaiser Short is perfect for me.... but I think I would love to have a Tornado handle like Erik's above. I have a UFO Kaiser Regular length and it is great too.... but I prefer the shorter length of the Kaiser short handle.

Ben

Jeff,
It really is dependent on the individual. i got one of Rafael's original U2V1 handles and absolutely love them.
85mm X 12mm. i can post a pic when i get home, or you can search the SOTD threads for pics of the three that i have in stainless steel, red bronze and brass.
Good luck.

Thanks, guys.

By way of comparison, here are the approximate dimensions for my two SS handles:

Feather AS-D1: 91 mm X 10.5 mm
iKon OSS: 94.5 mm X 12 mm

(My Slim is 80 mm X 10.5 mm at the bottom knob.)

Most of the UFO handles are either 85 mm or 100 mm in length (the Zeus 3XL is 125 mm in length!), and either 13 mm (Kaiser), 15 mm (Godzilla, Goliath, and Tornado), or 20 mm (Zeus) in diameter. I've ruled out the Tornado (too shiny) and the Zeus (too fat), so I've narrowed it down to six different handles (the long and the short versions of the Kaiser, Godzilla, and Goliath), not counting the red bronze, brass, and other custom material options...

Jeff,
Obviously a personal choice (and I don't own any UFOs...yet). However I would have come to the same short list.
Preference would be: 1) Kaiser; 2)Goliath XL

I've been very happy with the 100 mm Kaiser with an old Muhle head. The knurling is not too deep and the weight is manageable.

Top Bottom