What's new

Which trimmer for nose & ears

For the last several years I've been using the only half decent battery powered nose trimmer I've ever had. All of the sudden today it won't work. I went on Amazon to find a replacement, but they don't make the brand or exact model anymore. Or, maybe they do, but under another name.

I've tried a bunch of 'em. Most are total garbage. Besides I'm avoiding Chinese made products as much as I can.

View attachment 1500344

Anyway, I decided to try the Groomate XL. On the assumption they're as good as many reviews indicate, I ordered from the company (not Amazon) the model with the leather pouch, brush, and screw on cap. It was more expensive than the basic model of course and is probably exactly the same in every respect in terms of its functional abilities. It looks a bit different, but I don't know if the size is the same or not. Anyway, it's on the way.

I like that it's stainless steel and American made and manually operated with a great guarantee. The reviews impressed me. This write up from a source I trust impressed me even more.

Assuming it actually works - and if it doesn't I'll return it - this will be the last nose trimmer I'll ever buy.

Thanks for telling me about the Groomate XL.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Good luck with it. I purchased the same one about a year and a half ago. It is well made and solid. There is no motor to slow down or battery to quit and in my opinion vastly superior to the “squeeze” kind.

On occasion I finish with my Prelax nose scissors but am satisfied overall.

At first I was disapointed with the leather case as it was too tight and seemed expensive for what it is. It quickly loosened up and makes it very easy to find in the drawer I store it in so I now believe the upgrade was worth it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good luck with it. I purchased the same one about a year and a half ago. It is well made and solid. There is no motor to slow down or battery to quit and in my opinion vastly superior to the “squeeze” kind.

On occasion I finish with my Prelax nose scissors but am satisfied overall.

At first I was disappointed with the leather case as it was too tight and seemed expensive for what it is. It quickly loosened up and makes it very easy to find in the drawer I store it in so I now believe the upgrade was worth it.

That's why I wanted the leather case, too, to help me find the nose clippers.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Actually, I can do a really great job on nose, eyebrows, etc. with my tiny mustache scissors.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How does it work? I took a look on Amazon....do you twist it?

Also, the one I purchased, the Professional is a bit different. See below.

From a review I read somewhere, one can also hold fast to the bottom and twist the top; a gentleman said that worked better for him.

1659883236787.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
thx, Jim.. I watched them both... I can see it working well for nose hair. I have a lot of ear hair. It might be a bit difficult to get to those effectively but I might be wrong. Easy for the hair growing inside the entrance to the ear canal, but a challenge for the ear lobes and sides, perhaps?

I've actually shaved those areas with a razor... both the Fusion Power and the Claymore Evo but it's risky.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
thx, Jim.. I watched them both... I can see it working well for nose hair. I have a lot of ear hair. It might be a bit difficult to get to those effectively but I might be wrong. Easy for the hair growing inside the entrance to the ear canal, but a challenge for the ear lobes and sides, perhaps?

I've actually shaved those areas with a razor... both the Fusion Power and the Claymore Evo but it's risky.

I'd probably be chicken.

Happy ear shaves,

Jim

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I just realized I never posted an update. Here's what I ended up getting..... it's working brilliantly.

There are less expensive ones. I got this one because it has a larger motor... and I have ear and nose hair issues. <eg>
Thank you, this looks great. I was serious about using the Knipex because I had one of those microtouch or whatever trimmers. It barely cuts my nose hair or ear hair. I have a Panasonic Arc-5 razor and know they make top of the line products when it comes to cutting hair. I may have to consider giving up the Knipex.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For the last several years I've been using the only half decent battery powered nose trimmer I've ever had. All of the sudden today it won't work. I went on Amazon to find a replacement, but they don't make the brand or exact model anymore. Or, maybe they do, but under another name.

I've tried a bunch of 'em. Most are total garbage. Besides I'm avoiding Chinese made products as much as I can.

View attachment 1500344

Anyway, I decided to try the Groomate XL. On the assumption they're as good as many reviews indicate, I ordered from the company (not Amazon) the model with the leather pouch, brush, and screw on cap. It was more expensive than the basic model of course and is probably exactly the same in every respect in terms of its functional abilities. It looks a bit different, but I don't know if the size is the same or not. Anyway, it's on the way.

I like that it's stainless steel and American made and manually operated with a great guarantee. The reviews impressed me. This write up from a source I trust impressed me even more.

Assuming it actually works - and if it doesn't I'll return it - this will be the last nose trimmer I'll ever buy.

Thanks for telling me about the Groomate XL.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This mechanic and non-electric, hand-powered trimmer works well, but it's not quick. I'm glad to have it. I will keep it at the office for tuneups.

1669225897358.png

I've also ordered the Conair nose and eyebrow trimmer. There are several similar Conair models, but I wanted one which would also do my eyebrows.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have been using the Microtouch AA for about 5 or so years. I've tried a ton and they either don't last or just suck. It's $10 and one of my favorite things is it has a very bright LED light.
Amazon- Microtouch

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I use an inexpensive battery powered rotary model, Zorami, that does a good job. Less than $10 on Amazon.

I've got small pair of some German stainless steel scissors with round tips. I have a Norelco rotary trimmer but only use it occasionally. Nothing wrong with it, just prefer the scissors.

Top Bottom