What's new

Which Tony Miller Strop?

I've decided to finally upgrade my strop and have heard nothing but rave reviews of Tony Miller's Heirloom strops. But I can't decide which one.

The price differences between the different strops doesn't matter.

So, please give me your recommendations and why?

Thanks!

I have a variety of strops, including several from Tony. Any one of them will maintain an edge. The difference is in the draw of the leather. I often use more than one strop during a session. I will start with a slower draw such as a Latigo and then finish with a faster draw such as fast bridle leather, premium horsehide, or Novotan/Cromexel horsehide.

If you are uncertain about the characteristics of a particular leather, send Tony an email. He will be happy to answer your questions. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Even his plain vanilla and plain chocolate strops are usable. These less costly strops are idea for those new to straight razors. It takes most folks a while to develop the muscle memory needed to use a strop without nicking the strop. Thus, it is better to start with a less expensive strop. I also have an expensive shell cordovan strop and would be heart-broken if I were to damage it.

I have Notovan and slick Horsehide. I prefer the Notovan, because I like a little draw but that is really personal. Construction quality wise, both are really well made so you can't go wrong

Tony Miller's "Roughout" strop is the top of the heap in my opinion.
His Notovan, Steerdovan, Horween horsehide, and Spanish Bridle are all nice too. I however prefer a heavy draw and the Roughout fits the niche perfectly.

Tony Miller's "Roughout" strop is the top of the heap in my opinion.
His Notovan, Steerdovan, Horween horsehide, and Spanish Bridle are all nice too. I however prefer a heavy draw and the Roughout fits the niche perfectly.

Unfortunately, Tony only carries a limited range of strops at any given time, depending on his leather supplies. The Roughout is not available at this time. Perhaps it will be available again in the future.

Any of Tony's strops are top quality, made by an artisan that cares about his craft and his product. Any and all of them will perform well for it's intended function.

It comes down to what type of strop you prefer. Smooth, rough, "heavy draw", "light draw", "magnetic draw", etc., etc. Since it's entirely personal preference, the "buy them all" answer is the only one that will let you be sure you have your dream strop.

Short of that, read the descriptions of how they "feel" in use and choose whatever appeals. I started with a WCS Latigo strop and then bought Tony's Steerdovan. It has a much smoother, more slick feel ("lighter draw") that I now know I prefer only because I have two to compare.

I did a budget option for $35 before shipping.

I was coming from a vintage shell strop 2.5" wide square end. I went with a plain 3" horween horsehide no fabric d ring handle.

I'm pleased with it, a real work horse.

You made a good choice. I have the horsehide in both the Premium and Plain versions. The cosmetic differences do not affect the light draw or any other functional aspect of the strops. While I appreciate the finer finishes of the Premium, the Plain is arguably the best strop value on the market.

Top Bottom