What's new

Which to buy?

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to DE shaving and want to find a good, but economical brush. I currently have a cheap Van Der Hagen badger hair brush, that seems to lose hairs every time I shave. At the time, I wanted to test the waters, so I didn't do a lot of research into brushes. That was my mistake.

Now, I want to try my hand in the synthetic brush field. I have done some research (still probably not enough) and have sort of narrowed my scope between a few types of brushes/knots. These are the ones I was looking at:

PAA Amber Aerolite 24mm Stygian Synth Hybrid Brush
AP Shave Comp. 24MM SynBad w/ Elegant Emerald Handle
Maggard Razors Blue Swirl Two Piece Resin Handle Timberwolf Synthetic Shaving Brush, 24mm

I've heard that the Synbad knot is quite soft with a decent backbone, while the Timberwolf is very soft, but lacks backbone. I don't know much about the Stygian Synth, except that it's the same or very similar to the Rockwell Grey from their other line. However, I've heard lots of praise for the Peregrino which has the Rockwell Grey knot. I've heard the Cashmere knot is also very soft, but without much backbone and the Tuxedo isn't as soft, but has a decent backbone.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what I'd prefer, softer vs a little firmer, so I figure these may be a little of the middle ground. I know I do not want to keep losing brush hairs every time I shave. I would prefer for it to produce a nice lather; I use a scuttle/bowl with Proraso Shave Cream. I do not have what would be considered a very course or thick beard if I were to grow it out, but I do shave my head. I hope this helps provide a little more detail to help know what I'm looking for

Would anyone have any advice or opinions as to which would be the best choice for me? I am open to other brands, but I guess I want something similar to the above listed brushes. I would prefer to spend less than $25 if possible with a max of around $30. When I become a better, more experienced shaver, perhaps I can opt for something else.

I appreciate any and all help.

If it was me, I'd go with the Timberwolf synthetic. It's got both soft tips and decent backbone and I really enjoy using it. I wasn't a big fan of synbad knot and I haven't tried the stygian synth.

Yaqui Sagrada Familia
RR 400
Any modern synthetic with the handle of your choice.......

If you want a synthetic that mimics badger: Muhle or Edwin Jagger.....amazing brushes. Simpsons Trafalgar T3 is OK but the Chinese by everyone else are superior.....

I started out with a very inexpensive Omega 49 boar hair and later acquired the Yaqi Sagrada Familia, another beautiful good performer yet inexpensive brush. I use both equally and am extremely satisfied with both. Don't stress out on your brush decision. You will get very good satisfactory results with all the choices presented so far.

I would likely pick an appealing boar brush to start with. Semogue, Zenith and Omega all offer good options IMO! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Others would certainly suggest synthetic or even horse hair options.

These days I enjoy badger brushes, but the price point is substantially higher for a reasonable brush.

Simpson's Trafalgar is a solid choice in a synthetic. I have a Frank Shaving G4 synthetic that was less than twenty bucks and performs very well. I expect the Yaqi brushes are at least as good, judging by their popularity on this forum.

I have the PAA Starcraft with Roswell Grey knot. I think the Stygian knot is basically the same except for color. I think it's an improvement over the older generation synthetics like the Plissoft and Tuxedo. For $17, it is a great deal. It makes fantastic lather. I'm very happy with it.

I have a Stirling finest badger that i like. The knot is fan shaped. It works really well for me and doesn't feel scratchy at all. I haven't tried a synthetic yet but nearly pulled the trigger on a Trafalger 3 the other day. I just don't need to blow any more money since i have a bunch of badgers and boar brushes already.

My two favorite synthetics

SynBad is definitely softer than Timberwolf. They are both superb brushes. Get them both

Thanks for the replies. A lot of people seem to like the Yaqi Sagrada Familia. I may be wrong, but isn't this a Tuxedo type knot? Is it as soft as the Synbad, Boss, or Timberwolf?

I love my Sagrada Familia Tuxedo 24 knot. The 24 Cashmere on my Elegant Emerald is even softer. Both of these could be my only brush (but I do have others, including various badgers, boar, and horse.) No experience with the other brushes mentioned.

The Amber Aerolite brush is a great combination of backbone yet super soft. You really can't go wrong with this brush. I love it!

I love all my AP synths and also my Maggard DIY Timberwolf. It’s nothing original or unique but it’s a pretty handle and there’s some satisfaction from setting it yourself. I hate when synth knots are set too low but, I set it as low as it would go in the handle with some silicone from Maggard and it’s perfect.

Top Bottom