What's new

Which TI ? Le Grelot or a Sheffield Silver Steel ?

I'm suffering from Razor Acquisition Syndrome/Disorder, but my birthday is days away so I think I'm allowed.

I already own a couple of Dovo razors (black micarta and an Olivewood 41) and I have an urge to get a Thiers-Issard.

So what are the pros and cons of the 6/8 Le Grelots and the Sheffield Silver Steel 5/8th ?

I suppose I'm asking, which is the ONE to get.

btw been DE'ing for a while and am toying with straights with the aim of making that my regular weapon of choice ...

Thanks,
Ron

The Le Grelot will shave circles around a 5/8 TI. A couple of reasons why. Different steel, heavier grind, bigger blade. In fact, the Le Grelot, if you are talking about the quarter hollow, will shave circles around most razors.

+1 Professor. I think it is good to mention that the 1/4 grinds are getting hard to find, if I am not mistaken. Most the the Le Grelots that I have seen are 3/4 to full grinds and I can't say what those shave like because I have not tried them. The 1/4's are the best shavers that I have and that includes some higher end razors.

Take Care,
R

To clarify:

The 1/4 grind TI LeGrelots are available only through rasurpur, as opposed to the 3/4 grinds which are available at Classic, as well as Edwin Jagger.

I think they are still available at the B&B Shop. I see 3 in the drop down and it allows me to buy if I wish. I have 2 of them already or else I would get another.

Take Care,
Richard

I think they are still available at the B&B Shop. I see 3 in the drop down and it allows me to buy if I wish. I have 2 of them already or else I would get another.

Take Care,
Richard
What is the B&B Shop.. and where on the site is it? I dont think I have ever come across it. I am interested in buying a straight as well

Ameet

I picked up a 1/4 grind Le Grelot from rasurpur based on all the good comments and recommendations here. I'm just a newbie (one week of shaving with it so far), but I'm very pleased with it. I actually did two passes yesterday and got a fine shave - not BBS yet of course, but a DFS (I'm learning the lingo...). Stopped when I cut my nostril near the end. Let's just say that styptic pencil there doesn't feel very good.

Okay, so there's only two left in the 'Shop', I bit the bullet this morning and placed my order.

I had no idea that there was such a difference between the 1/4 and 3/4-full grinds ...

Thanks for the advice ,,,

I have both the B&B LE 1/4 grind and the Jagger full grind Grelots. They are both great shavers though different experience. The 1/4 grind is very smooth while the full grind is flexible with a lot of feedback.
The full is easier to hone. Both give me a BBS shave.
Most TIs are extra full grinds with a great deal of feedback. I find they give exceedingly close shaves and are a pleasure to hone.

The only answer is to keep buying more razors.

Edwin Jagger is out of the 3/4 hollows, but the good news is that rasurpur.de has the 1/4 in stock. Either of them would shave circles around the 5/8 TI, IME.

I was totally surprised that any were left. I only looked because of this thread. I just looked again, dangerous for me, and there is still one more left.

Take Care,
Richard

Last edited:
Edwin Jagger is out of the 3/4 hollows, but the good news is that rasurpur.de has the 1/4 in stock. Either of them would shave circles around the 5/8 TI, IME.

Shaved with a vintage 6/8, 3/4 hollow Grelot this morning. You are right, it is one fine shaving razor!

Look again or did you sucumb?

:lol: Wow! I finally made it. There are no more Le Grelots in the store! Don't be discouraged about the honing process. It takes some effort and to be quite frank I would send it out. It took me about a month to finally tune it up but my Le Grelot's shave me like no other razor that I have bought before or since.

Take Care,
Richard

:lol: Wow! I finally made it. There are no more Le Grelots in the store! Don't be discouraged about the honing process. It takes some effort and to be quite frank I would send it out. It took me about a month to finally tune it up but my Le Grelot's shave me like no other razor that I have bought before or since.

Take Care,
Richard

You obviously have not visited Martin's site. He has some beautiful highly polished Grelot 1/4 hollows with plain scales. Martin delivers his razors shave ready!
Temptation still lurks.

Top Bottom